Denon Continues To Raise the Sonic Bar
Pedigree Japanese AV brand, Denon, has gone for eye-catching style and ear-arresting sound quality as the targeted qualities of its latest DHT-S514 sound bar.
As TVs get thinner and some even develop curves, there’s much less room to farm in a decent sound system. The soundbar has evolved as a complete sound system with signal processing, and is the answer for many including those that live in small, smart apartments and other space challenged environments.
Denon’s approach with their DHT-S5154 is sensible. The soundbar handles treble and midrange while a wireless subwoofer reproduces bass grunt.
The DHT-S514 is discreet with a slim, sleek footprint and is just dandy for TV, games, movies and music. Connectivity comprises digital, analogue and wireless inputs, with aptX Bluetooth streaming for CD-quality wireless audio from Bluetooth equipped portable devices, smartphones and tablets. In addition, Denon Virtual Surround technology simulates full multi-channel home theatre surround sound with Dolby Digital and DTS decoding. Selectable listening modes include Dialog, Movie, Music and Night Mode for late night viewing enjoyment without disturbing other household members.
The DHT-S514 comes with it's own remote control but also has the ability to learn commands from the TV remote control (or a larger ‘master’ system remote) to reduce the number of remote controls sitting around the room. In case the soundbar is placed in front of the TV, an IR repeater is included to allow the TV remote control signal to pass through to the TV IR receiver.
Elegantly styled, easy to setup and simple to use, the Denon DHT-S514 ensures top-quality audio with the latest thin TVs.
The DHT-S514 Soundbar with wireless subwoofer at a glance:
- 2-way speaker system with 2 x 14mm tweeters and 2 x oval 51 x 127mm mid woofers
- Wireless subwoofer with strong 2 x 133mm woofers for deep bass attacks
- HDMI connectivity (1 x in / 1 x out) with ARC (Audio Return Channel)
- Bluetooth wireless streaming with aptX Bluetooth for CD like sound quality
- Optical and Coaxial digital inputs as well as an analogue input
- Dolby Digital and DTS decoding with Denon Virtual Surround
- 3 listening modes and Night Mode
- Learns existing TV remote control
- Simple remote included
- Connects directly to a TV with one cable
- Auto input switching
- Two pair of feet to adjust height when place in front of a TV
- Built-in keyholes for direct wall mounting
- IR-Repeater to pass through TV remote control commands
One of the veterans of the Australian HiFi industry, Peter was formerly the Audio-Video Editor of the Herald Sun for over two decades. One of the most-respected audio journalists in Australia, Peter brings his unparalleled experience and a unique story-telling ability to StereoNET.