Pre/Power vs Integrated

I've been listening to a YBA Genesis IA3 from Audio Heaven for the last fortnight on a home demo.  They still exist but they are getting rarer.

Oh, and Integrated all the way, because they're cooler.

• Like 1

Why do you want to change the combo you have now? That's top notch equipment. Don't think you will end up with something better. Maybe something with a slightly different sound, not necessarily better. 

If you really want the speakers, buy them and try them with your present amps. You can always switch afterwards if you aren't satisfied. 

• Like 1

@@Stedes

I assume your KW750 is the power amp? You're going to have to dive deep to outgun that. Looking at your gear the preamp could likely be improved. If I were you I'd start there and try and find some choices to demo at home.

Having heard some good integrated amps (eg Gryphon, Dartzeel) I think separates offer a greater level of refinement. But I've always thought the preamp one of the most critical components, so am biased! And I do think you need to spend a fair bit for separates to improve on a top notch integrated, especially when you take into account another power cable and set of interconnects.

As you already have some lovely gear, any changes are going to be about flavour too. Do you want a darkly voiced sound (eg Gryphon)? Do you want oodles of clean power (eg Vitus)? Do you want the lovely euphonics of valves (eg Audio Note)? Your MF amps would also sound great with a KW preamp.

Have fun and please let us know what you try next.

• Like 2

Also, and I hate to sound like a broken record, but you already have lovely electronics. Have your explored some basic room diagnosis and treatment of any modes? If so, and if feasible, perhaps that would be a sensible step before you upgrade - room treatments are usually the cheapest part of any system, but can make the biggest difference to the sound (not always, but most rooms are not perfect).

@@Stedes

I assume your KW750 is the power amp? You're going to have to dive deep to outgun that. Looking at your gear the preamp could likely be improved. If I were you I'd start there and try and find some choices to demo at home.

Having heard some good integrated amps (eg Gryphon, Dartzeel) I think separates offer a greater level of refinement. But I've always thought the preamp one of the most critical components, so am biased! And I do think you need to spend a fair bit for separates to improve on a top notch integrated, especially when you take into account another power cable and set of interconnects.

As you already have some lovely gear, any changes are going to be about flavour too. Do you want a darkly voiced sound (eg Gryphon)? Do you want oodles of clean power (eg Vitus)? Do you want the lovely euphonics of valves (eg Audio Note)? Your MF amps would also sound great with a KW preamp.

Have fun and please let us know what you try next.

if stedes has kw750....a theres a nice mf kw pre going cheap here too ...

• Like 1

In my opinion one of the great benefits of having separates is being able to mix and match pre/power combos.

My personal preference is to use a tube preamplifier with a solid state amplifier, but that's just me.

As I recently experienced with @@Addicted to music, whilst his all Sanders setup was performing admirably, the act of swapping in my tube preamplifier lifted the sound to another level. In fact, I think he would agree the sonic performance of the power amps on hand were more similar than different despite very different circuit topologies. His Magtech being shiny and new megawatt BJT monster amps, and my aging (15 year plus) mere 100w/ch mosfet based amp.

However, having another thing to play with brings another level of audio neurosis so be warned!

• Like 4

Maybe.

I just dunno why everyone who buys one, sells it soon after. I am not dissin the thang but it does make you think

why everyone who buys one, sells it soon after.

+1, I really do wonder too.

My thoughts would be keep your power amp for now and spend the money available on as good a pre as possible. The audible illusion was fine in it's day but compared to what is available today, and at the price point you indicate, you could end up with something truely special.

My thoughts would be keep your power amp for now and spend the money available on as good a pre as possible. The audible illusion was fine in it's day but compared to what is available today, and at the price point you indicate, you could end up with something truely special.

Hey there...

The AI L3A is actually 18 months old. It's the new version produced after the factory started up again 3-4 years ago. It replaced a 20 year old L1 which was, indeed a bit past it's day.