A pair of REL 212 sub Bad Boys are in the building.  Read the review, had to try it.  It's every bit as good as stated in the review.  As good as a speaker upgrade.  The set up in the review does not suit my room and system.  Subs are on the outside in my room. 

DSC_0001.thumb.JPG.c159f71291eaef61b794af6c0c9c92d5.JPG

Edited by GroovyGuru

On 20/08/2018 at 3:27 PM, GroovyGuru said:

GTG class of 2018.

DSC_0016.thumb.JPG.7267d2b84a641ea4eb1b689e0fb274e6.JPG

And who said audiophiles  weren’t cool and hip. 😉

1 hour ago, Pops110 said:

And who said audiophiles  weren’t cool and hip.

Some are, some not.

The one on the left is Red hot!

On 06/09/2018 at 12:43 PM, GroovyGuru said:

A pair of REL 212 sub Bad Boys are in the building.  Read the review, had to try it.  It's every bit as good as stated in the review.  As good as a speaker upgrade.  The set up in the review does not suit my room and system.  Subs are on the outside in my room. 

DSC_0001.thumb.JPG.c159f71291eaef61b794af6c0c9c92d5.JPG

Subs on the outside this time, Peter!  :thumb:  They certainly look impressive - I'm sure they sound very very good.  :)

Andy

Edited by andyr

Con ( @Ittaku ) and I had the chance to listen to Peter's system this arvo, after his repaired true-ribbon tweeters had been run in.  With his new REL subs.

Absolutely sensational!  :thumb:

@Big Dog RJ and @Gary janezic ... you need to hear them again!  :)

Andy

Guest Music monster

Yes will do, totally forgot about the gtg will attend next one definitely.gary the music monster 🎶

On the day of the GTG. Not dissimilar to the teaser picture he gave us, except for moving the subs forward a bit. Great sound!IMG_20190113_160027.thumb.jpg.d6b10d8054e64c54f7e971a7f8f30cf9.jpg

23 hours ago, andyr said:

Con ( @Ittaku ) and I had the chance to listen to Peter's system this arvo, after his repaired true-ribbon tweeters had been run in.  With his new REL subs.

Absolutely sensational!  :thumb:

@Big Dog RJ and @Gary janezic ... you need to hear them again!  :)

Andy

Not being rude to Peter as I know he has invested heavily in his system but I hope you are correct Andy because I was terribly disappointed in what I heard that day. It was such a flat, lifeless sound which was plastered against the wall which prompted me to think that the amps were struggling to bring out the best in these speakers. 

And before anyone comments, on that day I heard three different systems playing the same songs and the 20.7s were well and truly trounced by @djbs tympanis not to mention Peter Keenans speakers. I have heard these speakers elsewhere and they can sound incredible.

I think a lot of things need to be right with Maggie's and if one element is weak then it gets exposed very quickly. 

36 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

Not being rude to Peter as I know he has invested heavily in his system but I hope you are correct Andy because I was terribly disappointed in what I heard that day. It was such a flat, lifeless sound which was plastered against the wall which prompted me to think that the amps were struggling to bring out the best in these speakers. 

And before anyone comments, on that day I heard three different systems playing the same songs and the 20.7s were well and truly trounced by @djbs tympanis not to mention Peter Keenans speakers. I have heard these speakers elsewhere and they can sound incredible.

I think a lot of things need to be right with Maggie's and if one element is weak then it gets exposed very quickly. 

We sometimes hear what we want to hear.  I did not think my system sounded particularly good that day.  I still suspect I've had at least one tweeter out for a while.  With both tweeters working the sound is the best I've heard in my system.

I'm disappointed that oz has chosen to post an out of date, negative impression of my system following a couple of positive posts.  Feels like he could not resist raining on my parade.   

Guest Music monster

Sound quality varies from day to day depending on weather conditions and so those  your hearing.some days my system sounds horrible and I turn it of and start to get depressed.two days later it sounds very good and I know it was my hearing on that day or very dry weather conditions. To judge the sound of anyone’s  system requires several days of listening and only than you can judge fairy the sound. Gary the music monster 🎶

3 hours ago, GroovyGuru said:

We sometimes hear what we want to hear.  I did not think my system sounded particularly good that day.  I still suspect I've had at least one tweeter out for a while.  With both tweeters working the sound is the best I've heard in my system.

I'm disappointed that oz has chosen to post an out of date, negative impression of my system following a couple of positive posts.  Feels like he could not resist raining on my parade.   

Peter, 

Believe it or not but I am in your corner. 

I'm one of the few people that actually expressed honesty and I was enough of a gentleman to not say anything at the time when perhaps I should have. 

If you don't believe me then ask Andy, David or Peter Keenan whom I expressed my concerns. 

I don't believe in going to a person's place to eat wine and cheese and simply be an accommodating guest. 

What do you want. Do you want the truth or do you want a lie. 

By your own admission there have been long standing issues with your system which can only mean that sonically it must have sounded less than good. 

If people are coming to your place and praising sound from a speaker where potentially both tweeters are gone then I'd suggest the guests that are coming to your place arent being truthful or they are personally struggling with their hearing. 

Incidentally my system at the moment sounds very poor. 

I also know Peter that your 20.7s can sound incredible. I was not convinced that your amps were a good fit and the bottom end was at that stage very poor. There was absolutely no sparkle in the top end. All this means plenty of room for improvement. According to Andy's remark it seems that it has improved markedly which is encouraging. 

But having a speaker system where both ribbons were potentially fried can only mean a rubbish sound. To suggest otherwise is being delusional. If you disagree then I question why you would replace the true ribbons if you think the speakers sounded similarly fantastic without them. 

You are correct though. We definitely hear what we want to hear from our colleagues. 

11 hours ago, ghost4man said:

Peter, 

Believe it or not but I am in your corner. 

I'm one of the few people that actually expressed honesty and I was enough of a gentleman to not say anything at the time when perhaps I should have. 

If you don't believe me then ask Andy, David or Peter Keenan whom I expressed my concerns. 

I don't believe in going to a person's place to eat wine and cheese and simply be an accommodating guest. 

What do you want. Do you want the truth or do you want a lie. 

By your own admission there have been long standing issues with your system which can only mean that sonically it must have sounded less than good. 

If people are coming to your place and praising sound from a speaker where potentially both tweeters are gone then I'd suggest the guests that are coming to your place arent being truthful or they are personally struggling with their hearing. 

Incidentally my system at the moment sounds very poor. 

I also know Peter that your 20.7s can sound incredible. I was not convinced that your amps were a good fit and the bottom end was at that stage very poor. There was absolutely no sparkle in the top end. All this means plenty of room for improvement. According to Andy's remark it seems that it has improved markedly which is encouraging. 

But having a speaker system where both ribbons were potentially fried can only mean a rubbish sound. To suggest otherwise is being delusional. If you disagree then I question why you would replace the true ribbons if you think the speakers sounded similarly fantastic without them. 

You are correct though. We definitely hear what we want to hear from our colleagues. 

There is a time and place to express a honest opinion. A showcase thread is not the place for a negative opinion.  What if you had a showcase thread and someone came along and said he heard your system and he thought it was crap.  I would consider that post malicious. 

Unfortunately many have chosen to post malicious comments in my showcase thread.  People with all sorts of axes to grind should do them elsewhere.  

A negative opinion could be posted in the Magneplanar Owners thread, or any other thread, rather than muddy a showcase thread.  

Edited by GroovyGuru

Peter, 

I reiterate my previous comment - I am in your corner. 

I don't make these comments lightly. I am well aware of the time, passion, money etc involved especially with Maggie's which are a problematic beast at the best of times. 

But I also think that you have to be honest and in that sense wording has to be applied in the proper manner. 

I really can't see why Peter there are those that would have an axe to grind with you or your system. This is about making an objective assessment for the purposes of ultimately assisting the person. 

As I said in my previous remark the fact is that there has been by your own admission a long standing issue with your ribbons. There is no other way to look at that other than to conclude that that will severely compromise the sound - which is what I heard that day. And that can be the only outcome. For someone to offer an alternative perspective would have to be viewed with a high degree of skepticism. 

Just to add when I arrived at David's place to listen to his system I was extremely underwhelmed by its potential. I just did not think his room would work. I was very surprised by the end result. It was better than I expected. 

Conversely when I went to your place I thought it would be heaven. As pad's go your place was to my mind filled with incredible potential hence the reason why I think I was so disappointed in the end. 

BUT I have no doubts that once you get the elements working together it will be outstanding and will absolutely trounce many systems more expensive than yours. I think how the speakers couple with your listening area is the critical factor here. 

I hope you get to resolve these issues so the speakers can give you the result you richly deserve. These are incredible speakers! 

@GroovyGuru

Peter, you have my deepest sympathy. It’s enough to try the patience of a saint, let alone a guru, no matter how groovy!

Delighted that your system is sounding so good. I wish I could have come for a listen on the weekend. 

Edited by buddyev

The crates arrived.  They were disassembled and acoustically store.  Just have to wait a few more days for the contents to catch up.   

DSC_0007.thumb.JPG.49c9399c0e3cb6bee36fd34056c93cf4.JPGDSC_0008.thumb.JPG.d1fcea0c53e9c5ae2201d29ffa182ad2.JPG 

16 minutes ago, GroovyGuru said:

The crates arrived.  They were disassembled and acoustically store.  Just have to wait a few more days for the contents to catch up.   

Exciting times, Peter!  :thumb:

Andy