I did not like the sound with the resistors.  It lost transparency.  Better to work it with room placement and toe-in and seating height.  Seating height is often an overlooked component of speaker set up. 

I would suggest you used the wrong resistors.  The white ones Magnepan supplies sound crap - you need Duelund carbon resistors (USD25 each one).

Seating height - your ears should be in the middle of the panel, height-wise.

Andy

I would suggest you used the wrong resistors.  The white ones Magnepan supplies sound crap - you need Duelund carbon resistors (USD25 each one).

Seating height - your ears should be in the middle of the panel, height-wise.

Andy

You're missing the point.  I get good sound without using resistors. Why spend USD$25 on resistors I don't need? 

You're missing the point.  I get good sound without using resistors. Why spend USD$25 on resistors I don't need? 

Haha ... that comment illustrates the difference in philosophy between us.  AFAIAC, "good sound" is great . . . but that's the start - not the end of a journey - to get better sound!  You would appear to lack the "improve" gene which features strongly in my makeup?  :)  No problems about that - the vast majority of people do.   :D 

Andy

Guest Sime

Beautiful! I don't mind the painting either.

Was there a stereo in the room?

Haha ... that comment illustrates the difference in philosophy between us.  AFAIAC, "good sound" is great . . . but that's the start - not the end of a journey - to get better sound!  You would appear to lack the "improve" gene which features strongly in my makeup?  :)  No problems about that - the vast majority of people do.   :D

Andy

The new Maggies don't really need the resistors like the old ones do.  They are much smoother.  I never blow my own trumpet when it comes to rating the sound of my system.  I leave that for others to judge.  People who are in the industry have heard my system and are impressed.  I don't try to impress others with the sound of my system, much better for me to just enjoy it.  I think the first step is to like the sound of your system.  I hope everyone likes the sound of their system and don't become concerned with impressing others.  

I said I was looking at buying a Symposium rack or DWM woofers (they are not subwoofers. A subwoofer can be added if wanted).  Surely that indicates my journey.  I did not know I had to prove my credentials when showcasing my system.  

Edited by generichs

Was there a stereo in the room?

I got tired of looking at a bare wall.  The painting greatly improved the sound of the room. 

Edited by generichs

I wouldn't worry about some silly resistors too. Extra LF transducers would actually make substantial improvement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will be looking at running a GTG on Sunday 8 May, starting 2.00pm.  This will be posted in the GTG forum.  PM me for details.  A pair of DWM woofers will be set up for the occasion, courtesy of someone. Limit of 15 attendees.

This has been posted here first to give the first option to those who have read the thread, before I post in GTG section.

Edited by generichs

I will be looking at running a GTG on Sunday 8 May, starting 2.00pm.  This will be posted in the GTG forum.  PM me for details.  A pair of DWM woofers will be set up for the occasion, courtesy of someone. Limit of 15 attendees.

Would've loved to be there, Peter - to here some 20.7s - but am going away on holiday that day.  Hope it goes well.

Andy

Would've loved to be there, Peter - to here some 20.7s - but am going away on holiday that day.  Hope it goes well.

Andy

No worries Andy.  Enjoy your holiday.  You can always have a listen some other time. 

@@generichs,

Have you already tested DWM's being coupled with a pair of Maggies?

If you havent I would suggest you trial first before you commit to purchase if you can.

I have and found little discernable difference. I think a lot more can be achieved with a pair of maggies via other options

than the addition of a pair of DWM's. I honestly think that a decent sub which can get lower than the DWM is a better option

anyhow.

Cheers 

Ozzie

@@generichs,

Have you already tested DWM's being coupled with a pair of Maggies?

If you havent I would suggest you trial first before you commit to purchase if you can.

I have and found little discernable difference. I think a lot more can be achieved with a pair of maggies via other options

than the addition of a pair of DWM's. I honestly think that a decent sub which can get lower than the DWM is a better option

anyhow.

Cheers 

Ozzie

The DWMs in the GTG will be demo.  I'm sure they will be disconnected at some point to show the difference. 

What size room did you hear them in?

Edited by generichs

Just In case I miss the posting of the gtg

I WANNA COME

Guest Sime

Ditto.

I WANNA COME

Edited by Sime

I WANNA COME

i'll put you on the list.  I used to have a Maggie Tympani 1D 30 yrs ago.  Now I know where it is :D

Edited by generichs

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Realrift
      Item: Audio Research D400 Mkii Power Amp, 200W/channel @8ohm
      Price: $1800
      Item Condition: Very good for age
      Reason for selling: Downsizing audio equipment
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:
      Link to Audio Research specs:
      ARCDB - D400
      WWW.ARCDB.WS  
      I have owned this powerful solid state amp for many years. It can handle pretty much any speaker you wish to play with it. Its now a bit big for my needs and doesn't get used much. There is thin vertical scratch on the left sidefront fascia. It may be able to be polished out. I have left it alone as it doesn't affect the sound.
      This a 240v model.

Happy to demo for anyone interested.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By Audio Connection
      Item: Audio Research SP14 Tube Preamp with Phono Stage in Excellent Condition
      Price: $3,500.
      Item Condition: Pre owned 
      Reason for selling: Clearance 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Credit card on pick up, Direct deposit 
      Extra Info: Can freight at extra cost 

Here is a familiar name among many audio enthusiasts around the world "Audio Research" These guys have made some of the best preamps and power amps for the keen music lovers. This is a single-chassis unit, shares an outward appearance with the SP9 Mk.II, with half again as many knobs and twice the number of toggle switches. Exceptional sounding and transparent phono stage, with a build quality like a sherman tank.
      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By Alski
      Item: Audio Research LS26 line stage hybrid preamplifier
      Price: $3700 ONO
      Item Condition: Excellent condition, well looked after. Hasn't had a lot of use in the past couple of years. Comes with remote, no original box.
      Reason for selling: Too much hifi, something has to go to make way for more pro audio gear.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:Beautiful preamp in silver. Comes with remote, however the battery compartment cover is missing. Otherwise there are one or two very minor blemishes on the faceplate, see pics. I've just fitted matching NOS Amperex Bugle Boy tubes from the 1960's, which sound far better the the Sovtek installed previously, and will include a second pair of Bugle Boys also.

Pictures:

• By Douglas HiFi
      Item: Audio Research GSi75 Integrated Amp/DAC
      Price: $25999 $18500
      Item Condition: Ex-Shop Demo - Cosmetically As New w/Full Warranty and all Original Packaging and Accessories.
      Reason for selling: Recently Discontinued Model
      Payment Method: Cash, Paypal, Direct Deposit, Master, Visa
      Shipping available Australia Wide
      Extra Info: 
      With its gorgeous artisan style the Audio Research GSi75 shows off a welded chassis, thick front plate and the combination of new and old ARC cues.  
      As the name suggests, the integrated is a (2x) 75W design, using the KT150s (first used in the GS150 power amp) and now featuring throughout Audio Research’s lines. 
      In addition to being a good quality integrated amplifier, the Audio Research GSi75 sports a very fine phono stage, an outstanding upsampling DAC, and even a very high performance headphone amp. 
      The physicality of the GSi75 is not something to be sniffed at either - It’s a large, sophisticated integrated amplifier for the modern music lover: it does everything you could think of, does it all well, and exudes a sense of absolute class in the process. It’s a tube amp for people who like the sound and the idea of tube amps, but don’t like all the fuss and bother they sometimes cause.
      Insert, bias, play… it’s all made extremely simple. The onboard phono stage is quiet and dynamic, a perfect match for the rest of the amplifier.
      Rather than just sounding nice – something many valve designs actively aim for – this one majors on insight and agility. It reveals the harmonic richness in the sound of a piano and renders it with a subtlety of dynamics... equally, when asked to rock out it does a wonderful job of dynamics and slam without ever sounding either harsh or soft and wooly.
      The DAC – which can be set to upsample to 24-bit, 352.8/384kHz (depending on original sampling frequency) also supports DoP DSD replay – there is also ‘fast’ and ‘slow’ digital filters which help cope with the vagaries of modern (and especially online) digital sources. The DAC allows you to access whatever files you have on hand; 16-bit/44khz all the way up to 2x DSD, so you won’t be left out in the cold. There are a bevy of digital inputs as well; RCA, Toslink and USB all help make the GSi75 the hub of your digital music world.

There are also (3x) standard RCA Line Level inputs to complement the aforementioned Phono and DAC inputs.

Reviews :
      http://www.tonepublications.com/review/audio-research-gsi75-integrated-amplifier/
      http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/audio-research-gsi75-integrated-amplifier/?page=1

We have all original packaging and remote control.
      AudioResearch suggest that the tubes sound best after approx. 500 hours - It has been used for 482 hours so far  

Technical Specifications
      Type: Integrated tube amplifier
      Valve complement: 2× 6H30 drivers, 4× KT150 power tubes
      Analogue inputs: 3× RCA stereo
      Phono stage: MM/MC, adjustable input voltage and impedance
      Digital inputs: S/PDIF digital (coax RCA and Toslink), USB (driver required for Windows PC)
      Sample rates supported: 44.1kHz to 192kHz, S/PDIF and USB 2.0 HS, DSD USB 2.0 HS
      Input sensitivity: 0.55V RMS rated output. (32.5dB gain into 8 ohms.)
      Input impedance: 52.5kΩ
      Maximum input: 10 volts RMS
      Power Output: 75 watts per channel continuous from 20Hz to 20kHz.
      Frequency Response: 1Hz-70kHz (–-3dB, 1 watt)
      THD+N: Typically 1.5% at 75 watts, .05% at 1 watt (1kHz)
      Power Bandwidth: 12Hz to 70kHz (–3dB)
      Overall negative feedback: 4dB
      Output polartity: non-inverting
      Output taps: 4Ω, 8Ω
      Dimensions (W×H×D): 48.3×26.3×51.8cm
      Weight: 25kg

Pictures:    

All Photos of Actual Item

www.douglashifi.com.au

• By Snoopy8
      Item: Audio Research 17SE Hybrid Valve Line Stage Preamp
      Price:  $3,500 $3,200 $3,000 including shipping to major cities, regional centres in Australia; SNA donation on completion of sale
      Item Condition: Near mint
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup with cash, otherwise Bank Transfer
      Extra Info: 
      I bought the AR LS17SE from Famo 9 months ago and replaced it with an all tube preamp 3 months ago.

Famo is Peter Familari, a SNA reviewer.  It was in mint condition when I bought it and still is near mint with no marks, no scratches. The original tubes that Peter replaced has done about 700 to 800 hours and I also bought a set of Electro Harmonix which has about 50 hours.  The tubes last between 5,000 to 10,000 hours, so plenty of life in them. 

The LS17SE is a top hybrid valve preamp, just below the AR REF series at a considerable lower price.  The REF3 had a smidgen more detail, maybe slightly wider sound stage but you had to listen for it. This was the review that convinced me of the pedigree of the LS17SE:
      http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/audio_research_ls17_se.htm

Sale price includes AR LS17SE, 2 sets of tubes (Electro Harmonix in unit, AR tubes in box), remote, manual, power chord. Shipping with original packaging.

Pictures: