I will be looking at running a GTG on Sunday 8 May, starting 2.00pm.  This will be posted in the GTG forum.  PM me for details.  A pair of DWM woofers will be set up for the occasion, courtesy of someone. Limit of 15 attendees.

Would've loved to be there, Peter - to here some 20.7s - but am going away on holiday that day.  Hope it goes well.

Andy

@@generichs,

Have you already tested DWM's being coupled with a pair of Maggies?

If you havent I would suggest you trial first before you commit to purchase if you can.

I have and found little discernable difference. I think a lot more can be achieved with a pair of maggies via other options

than the addition of a pair of DWM's. I honestly think that a decent sub which can get lower than the DWM is a better option

anyhow.

Cheers 

Ozzie

@@generichs,

Have you already tested DWM's being coupled with a pair of Maggies?

If you havent I would suggest you trial first before you commit to purchase if you can.

I have and found little discernable difference. I think a lot more can be achieved with a pair of maggies via other options

than the addition of a pair of DWM's. I honestly think that a decent sub which can get lower than the DWM is a better option

anyhow.

Cheers 

Ozzie

The DWMs in the GTG will be demo.  I'm sure they will be disconnected at some point to show the difference. 

What size room did you hear them in?

Edited by generichs

Try and have it around the hifi show in July, please :)

I considered that but I thought it better to have it when the weather is warmer.  The date will be 8 May. (The date may be changed).  The other problem with having it on during the Hifi show is that going to the show and having a GTG would be too much. 

Edited by generichs

The DWMs in the GTG will be demo.  I'm sure they will be disconnected at some point to show the difference. 

What size room did you hear them in?

Bill Mcleans shop. If you have ever been there then you would have an idea of dimensions. The listening area would be at a guess something like 4m x 3.5m..

I know Bill has a pair of 20.7's which he couples with a pair of DWM's.

I might see if I can head over to his place for a listen.

I stand to be corrected but I am pretty sure he incorporates a DEQX and PS Audio Amp in the mix.

If I can get over there I will be sure to report back.

Should be easy to perform an A/B comparison of with and without the DWM's. Bill describes the addition of the DWM's as adding

more bass "slam". Its not necessarily the case that adding the DWM will improve SQ either. A lot of this is contingent to the room

dynamics. And if you ask Bill over the years he has set up systems in peoples homes where he thought it would not work and it

does.

Ozzie

Try and have it around the hifi show in July, please :)

If there is enough interest, I can have a GTG over the July Hifi show weekend for those who miss the May GTG.  I don't think the July GTG will have the DWM woofers, but you never know your luck.

PLEASE NOTE the GTG is looking to be set for Sunday 10 April, subject to confirmation. 

I can make April 10, Peter - so hope you have a slot left

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

And have you played with toe-in?  Looking at the first pic, the perpendicular from each ribbon seems to be crossing in front of you?  Try flattening the panels a bit (wrt to the front wall), so that the ribbon perpendiculars point to your ears.

@@andyr you are right, toe in plays a big part in the sound of the speakers.  The pic shows an early toe in.  Early in break in treble is too strong.  Once speakers are broken in, I have been using less toe in.  Still tuning toe in.  I have tried your toe in angle and gone past it.  There is a point at which there is a lot of bass and vague imaging.  I think at that point there is not enough imaging.  I then wind back to a spot I like. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've been doing some tweaking of the system.  I eventually managed to get the speakers on Mye Stands; and I bought more Ikea bamboo cutting boards to rearrange the equipment. Turntable now sits on a couple of cutting boards on the Lead Balloon.  This sounds better than having the TT sitting on the Dekstand.  Bass has more slam and sound is solid and dynamic.

post-154931-0-77524000-1461590172_thumb.post-154931-0-69528800-1461590203_thumb.      

Here is a report on the 20.7 with Mye Stands. 

The standard supports which come with the current model 20.7i are quite good, so the improvement with the use of Mye Stands is not vital.  There is a slight trade-off due to synergy of the standard support with the 20.7 panel.  On the standard support, a bit of tilt forward will result in an expansion in soundstage width, at the distant seated position.  This does not happen to the same extent with the Mye Stand, perhaps because the panels are lifted about 2in higher on the Mye Stands.  In my room, any tilt on the Mye Stand results in a muddying of the sound.  The 20.7 likes to be vertical on the Mye Stand. 

The 20.7i on Mye Stands does sound cleaner, with steadier imaging.  Tone decay is more extended.  Bass has more slam.  Treble is more lush, without being overdone.  You are able to listen more into the sound.  In short, the improvements are all you would expect if the noise floor was lowered.  You get better dynamics and better resolution, without exaggeration at select frequencies.

I filled the struts with sand.  I did make a small improvement.  The sound was more grounded  :P   It's a cheap tweak and worth it.  I already had spare river sand on hand from a previous tweak. 

• Like 1