I have been admiring all the systems being showcased and all of them look terrific.  Beautifully set up in gorgeous or inviting rooms.  I look at my rig and the best I can say is it looks industrial.  I have industrial high-end audio.  It has always been a case of form follows function for me.  I try to get it to sound right first and then think about prettying it up. I am thinking of buying a Symposium Isis rack to pretty it up but I have to balance that purchase against buying a pair of Magnepan DWM woofers.

The first rule to putting a good system together is getting the right speaker for the room.  Ofcourse, I did not start off with the MG20.7 and I'm not really a fan of planar speakers, but for the price, the MG20.7 is perfect for this room.  I never ever thought I would reach this level of sound in my life time, but you keep improving the system and one day you'll find you are listening to good sound, not just okay sound. 

When I bought this place I envisaged it as a music listening room.  I ended up surprising myself by how good it is.

post-154931-0-72498800-1458186662_thumb.post-154931-0-39638700-1458186484_thumb.post-154931-0-41940200-1458186417_thumb.post-154931-0-04219700-1458186320_thumb.post-154931-0-62312000-1458186869_thumb.  

I bought the Aura+Graham 1.5t secondhand from Mike Kontor when he was at Armadale.  A few years ago he told me he sold his Aura tt.  I think this tt was his.  post-154931-0-62500400-1458187092_thumb.

Edited by GroovyGuru
  • Like 16

xx

I have been admiring all the systems being showcased and all of them look terrific.  Beautifully set up in gorgeous or inviting rooms.  I look at my rig and the best I can say is it looks industrial.  I have industrial high-end audio.  It has always been a case of form follows function for me.  I try to get it to sound right first and then think about prettying it up.

You are too modest.  That looks like an inviting room, to me - one where you want to sit down and listen to what is on offer. :thumb:

Those amazing lights plus your picture are visually stunning. :love

One comment about those strange 'white things' which are almost in the plane of the Maggies and about 1.5m away from the outer edges ... what are they supposed to do? ... And are you certain they actually do this?  The reason I ask is that unlike box speakers, Maggies have very little sound propagation sideways - so you don't need to absorb/diffuse sound 'rays' to their sides.  What can be good, however, is to diffuse the reflected ribbon 'sound ray'.  Given you have your ribbons on the inside, this means putting something in the path of the 'ray' which goes backwards from the ribbons, hits the front wall and then reflects towards your ears.

Those lights might do the trick (I used some 'Room Tunes' in my last house) but in the first pic, that light on the left would need to be moved, I'd suggest, to the edge of your patterned rug.  Then matched with the 2nd light on the RHS.  In your 3rd pic, the lights seem to be in about the right position - although your rug is not placed symmetrically wrt the Maggies.

I found I got a substantial increase in soundstage depth when I put a diffusor (a Room Tune) in the path of the reflected ribbon sound ray.

Also, have you ever tried ribbons out?  You have such a wide room that with the ribbons on the outside, they would still be a long way away from the wall (they need space!).  :D

And have you played with toe-in?  Looking at the first pic, the perpendicular from each ribbon seems to be crossing in front of you?  Try flattening the panels a bit (wrt to the front wall), so that the ribbon perpendiculars point to your ears.

A few years ago he told me he sold his Aura tt.

Yes, he has a Canadian TT ... is it the Oracle?  I used to admire the Aura in Mike's shop - so it's a step down IMO! ;)

but I have to balance that purchase against buying a pair of Magnepan DWM woofers.

Given:

a.  what you have in that room, and

b.  the bass extension of the 20.7s,

... I would suggest a pair of conventional sealed subs would do a much better job.

In a couple of months, you may like to come over and hear my 'Frankenpans' - with and without the new subs which Paul Spencer is supplying.  My bass panels are smaller than what the 20.7 has but with the subs in pace, I expect to get usable bass down to 20Hz - which I don't think DWMs deliver.

Regards,

Andy

Looks like you have a generous space for your system! :) 

I've recently been playing around with the suspension on my Aura. I've ditched the springs and sorbothane pucks, and so far couldn't be happier.

Serious envy  over your Onyx!!!

@andyr:  Yes they are Room tunes.  Forget about how room tunes work in a standard room.  I had given up on them and had them out of the room until recently.  In their current position they provide a coherent soundstage and support bass.  I have tried all the toe ins.  These speakers are not easy to set up.  These speakers are sensitive to toe-in.  Pointing the way you suggest gave me shite sound and lazered my ears off.  TOO BRIGHT.  I have all my set up options marked out on masking tape on the floor.  I imagine different toe-ins work in different rooms and distance from speaker.

Looks like you have a generous space for your system! :)

I've recently been playing around with the suspension on my Aura. I've ditched the springs and sorbothane pucks, and so far couldn't be happier.

Serious envy  over your Onyx!!!

I tried sorbothane pucks.  Did not like it.  Not enough bloom.  Tweak the springs by putting blu-tack along the top and bottom of the springs so they are held in place and damp resonance. 

In a couple of months, you may like to come over and hear my 'Frankenpans' - with and without the new subs which Paul Spencer is supplying.  My bass panels are smaller than what the 20.7 has but with the subs in pace, I expect to get usable bass down to 20Hz - which I don't think DWMs deliver.

Yes, it would be interesting hearing your system in a couple of months.  Always good to hear how others do it differently.

@andyr:  Yes they are Room tunes.  Forget about how room tunes work in a standard room.  I had given up on them and had them out of the room until recently.  In their current position they provide a coherent soundstage and support bass.  I have tried all the toe ins.  These speakers are not easy to set up.  These speakers are sensitive to toe-in.  Pointing the way you suggest gave me shite sound and lazered my ears off.  TOO BRIGHT.  I have all my set up options marked out on masking tape on the floor.  I imagine different toe-ins work in different rooms and distance from speaker.

Yes, toe-in is definitely room-dependent. :)  But it's a play-off between soundstage and brightness - that's why Magnepan supplies 'tweeter-attenuation' resistors so you can stop the ribbons being too bright when they are pointed directly at your ears.  (I don't need them - even though my ribbons are pointing at my ears) because with my active XO, I can reduce the level of the ribbon, relative to mid & bass.

Andy

Yes, toe-in is definitely room-dependent. :)  But it's a play-off between soundstage and brightness - that's why Magnepan supplies 'tweeter-attenuation' resistors so you can stop the ribbons being too bright when they are pointed directly at your ears.  (I don't need them - even though my ribbons are pointing at my ears) because with my active XO, I can reduce the level of the ribbon, relative to mid & bass.

Andy

I did not like the sound with the resistors.  It lost transparency.  Better to work it with room placement and toe-in and seating height.  Seating height is often an overlooked component of speaker set up. 

I did not like the sound with the resistors.  It lost transparency.  Better to work it with room placement and toe-in and seating height.  Seating height is often an overlooked component of speaker set up. 

I would suggest you used the wrong resistors.  The white ones Magnepan supplies sound crap - you need Duelund carbon resistors (USD25 each one).

Seating height - your ears should be in the middle of the panel, height-wise.

Andy

• Like 1

I would suggest you used the wrong resistors.  The white ones Magnepan supplies sound crap - you need Duelund carbon resistors (USD25 each one).

Seating height - your ears should be in the middle of the panel, height-wise.

Andy

You're missing the point.  I get good sound without using resistors. Why spend USD$25 on resistors I don't need? 

• Like 1

You're missing the point.  I get good sound without using resistors. Why spend USD$25 on resistors I don't need? 

Haha ... that comment illustrates the difference in philosophy between us.  AFAIAC, "good sound" is great . . . but that's the start - not the end of a journey - to get better sound!  You would appear to lack the "improve" gene which features strongly in my makeup?  :)  No problems about that - the vast majority of people do.   :D 

Andy

• Like 1

Haha ... that comment illustrates the difference in philosophy between us.  AFAIAC, "good sound" is great . . . but that's the start - not the end of a journey - to get better sound!  You would appear to lack the "improve" gene which features strongly in my makeup?  :)  No problems about that - the vast majority of people do.   :D

Andy

The new Maggies don't really need the resistors like the old ones do.  They are much smoother.  I never blow my own trumpet when it comes to rating the sound of my system.  I leave that for others to judge.  People who are in the industry have heard my system and are impressed.  I don't try to impress others with the sound of my system, much better for me to just enjoy it.  I think the first step is to like the sound of your system.  I hope everyone likes the sound of their system and don't become concerned with impressing others.  

I said I was looking at buying a Symposium rack or DWM woofers (they are not subwoofers. A subwoofer can be added if wanted).  Surely that indicates my journey.  I did not know I had to prove my credentials when showcasing my system.  

Edited by generichs
  • Like 2

I will be looking at running a GTG on Sunday 8 May, starting 2.00pm.  This will be posted in the GTG forum.  PM me for details.  A pair of DWM woofers will be set up for the occasion, courtesy of someone. Limit of 15 attendees.

This has been posted here first to give the first option to those who have read the thread, before I post in GTG section.

Edited by generichs