Communi-fi Sound System - Hi fi Synergy Horn PA

Hi all,

Here is my hand-built horn sound system - Communi-fi Sound operating in Canberra.

Designed to bring a hifi experience to clubs, bars and halls with high and constant directivity, huge dynamics and warm yet clear sound.

4 front loaded horn subs loaded with 15 inch 18 Sound drivers

2 low mid horns, custom by Hennessy Sound Design in the USA, also loaded with 15" 18 Sound mid bass drivers.

2 Danley Sound Labs synergy horn inspired tops running 4 x 5 inch mids and a BMS 4550 compression driver each acting as a single point source driver.

Eminence 12s with 340hz Azura horn running selenium 220dti for monitors at some shows.

Mix of QSC, Yamaha and Ashley amplification running four way through a Bunker BPD 1 processor.

Sound is very good, described as a game changer for Canberra events. It was tuned for us by William Cowan of Cowan Audio who some of you may know.

Would recommend everyone checks out the synergy design principles if you haven't already. It is the next level.

We are on facebook and operating most weekends round Canberra at a variety of nights (house, diisco, bass, techno, jazz etc)

If anyone is curious you're more than welcome to come have a listen. Send me a message i can get you on the door :)

https://www.facebook.com/communifi/

post-133230-0-33916900-1457743113_thumb.

post-133230-0-92038300-1457743399_thumb.

• Like 11

Very nice.

I've just build a little PA system using one of Will Cowan's designs - his 30hz tapped horn. Eminence 12" coaxial above 100hz. All to run off battery with Minidsp and JL-Audio car amp.

(Also just ordered a Red Spade PSE 'synergy horn' for home use...will be tempted to take that out to a party!)

• Like 1

Very nice.

I've just build a little PA system using one of Will Cowan's designs - his 30hz tapped horn. Eminence 12" coaxial above 100hz. All to run off battery with Minidsp and JL-Audio car amp.

(Also just ordered a Red Spade PSE 'synergy horn' for home use...will be tempted to take that out to a party!)

That's awesome. I eventually want to have a small mobile solar battery system. There is a crew called diyhifi in melboure with handbuilt synergy horn/ tapped horn combo - all solar.

Would love to hear the PSE 144s but bit out of my price range. Let me know your impressions!

Where is this in Canberra?

I used to be a sound guy in Canberra, did many a dance party here with my Dynacord Rig, so I ain't seen that space before.

Clubs etc are not my cup of tea, but man it looks impressive.

I must congratulate you for taking horns and good music out there.

Thanks for sharing, we need more people like you!

Please keep posting.

Thanks guys. 

I am no expert engineer by any means, and tbh the sound I can pull out of these in the random one night only rooms we setup in (this is in a 20 by 100ft ex car detailing warehouse in woden)  is probably not audiophile by the standards of people here (in terms of accuracy, imaging, soundstage_...

But man is it infectious!.. there is something so warm and vibrant about these horns.

They are dynamic, lively and fast ..The way that crowd energises and engages with them still surprise me 18 months after we started doing this.. I still grin ear to ear every time ! fire it up.

Sometimes i just want to get them in the living room...

post-133230-0-39981500-1458730503_thumb.

• Like 1

What promotion groups are you working with at these events?

Can you also let me know the next gig you do, I'd like to come for a listenn

Edited by Sime

Sime

They are younger crews uni age pretty underground sounds including

Pickle (disco, chicago house, outsider etc)

https://www.facebook.com/Pickle

Boxcutter (low fi techno, club, global house) 

https://www.facebook.com/Box-Cutter

True Vibes (bass, beats, drum n bass)

https://www.facebook.com/truevibesparty

Playful sound (disco, italo, 80s)

https://www.facebook.com/playfulsound

Venues are normally random church halls, La De Da (Belconnen), Digress (in the city - not so much now they redid their setup), house parties

Crowds normally not more than 100-150 but pretty relaxed and positive vibes

Next show is I think Compa (UK Dubstep dub reggae) on the 24th April at the new Low Brow Bar in the city. 

https://www.facebook.com/events/537726559729840/

Cheers

Sime - this is our amp rack - running the system four way through the Bunker processor.

The top amp is an ashley 4 channel x 150w into 4ohms.

Looking to replace the yamaha with something a bit lighter, but more substantial power wise.. Maybe  another QSC plx amp.

post-133230-0-15681700-1459402937_thumb.

Edited by lips

Ahh ok, yeah, never heard of those lads. I was active between 2004-10. Pretty much knew everyone back them. Good times.

Who did you know.. They're probably still around.. Or lurking in hi-fi circles now..

• 3 weeks later...

Few photos of the Synergy horns from behind..Paul Spencer's red spade blog helped a lot with visualising the design. Really quite simple to experiment with..

@B.D did you get your PSE 144s yet? Would love to hear a pair.

Another big week this week of shows if Canberrans are about - Om Unit Wednesday, 30/70 amazing full horn section hiphop beats and jazz band from Melbourne on Thursday.. both at la de da bar. Friday another warehouse party southside.

post-133230-0-15876100-1461664622_thumb.

post-133230-0-06137500-1461664650_thumb.

• Like 1

Guest Sime

Indeed many good times there Sime!

If I was still in Canberra, I would definitely drop through a gig to hear this rig!

Did I know you back then?

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have a suggestion for a pair of cheaper valve phono stages to run in place of the phonos on my Allen Heath Xone 62 mixer or the pioneer mixers that often get used?

Could attempt a DIY if there are simple tested ccts?

Looking at having a set up for mc carts... probably denon 301s, with Duntech step ups.

Or is this a bad idea noise-wise with system sensitivity at ~105db/m and max output round 125db?

• 3 weeks later...