WTP Budget Valve Amp

Item: Budget Valve Amp

Item Condition: Reasonable Condition

Price: Up to $800

Payment Method: However the seller wants

Extra Info

Heard my first valve amp(cayin a-50T) at focus sound this wknd and the quality and finest details convinced me to try to pursue this avenue on a budget as opposed to my NAD setup running through a tube buffer. have been reading into the chinese yaqin etc amps available on a budget on ebay, however the lack of absolute confidence in these products convinced me to try this forum first to see if any members had anything they felt was surplus to their needs. my room is about 5m x 4m and would be running a pair of paradigm monitor 9 v.5.

thanks

benn

Edited by bennos28

Thanks for the reply. beautiful amps you mentioned there. unfortunately both are well outside my financial limits. the amps i heard over the wknd, both the cayin a-50t and the melody sp3 were on special at around $1300 and as much as i thought about selling every possession i own to get my hands on one, i dont have the means right now. i realise its basically unrealistic to think somone may have a valve amp under $800 but it cant hurt to hope.

cheers

benn

thanks for the advice buzz. ive been looking into ming da and shanling amps also, but they also seem to be well outside my range unfortunately.

has anyone had any experience with the citypulse audio SA-77 or the gennari amps that pop up on ebay once in a while? both are around the price i can afford. or would you guys suggest to keep saving until i can afford something like a lower end melody or cayin.

Hi just noticed that your from melbourne have a look at hifi exchange they are box hill they have a few good amps for sale . Try and google them they do have a quexing valve amp for sale for $800 i have bought items from them before and they are a honest bunch of audiophile people..

i have had a look at the hifi exchange gear and should get out to their store on sat to have a listen as they seem to have some beautiful amps for sale. would any of the amps they have listed come close to the cayin or melody? they had such gorgeous rich sounds im not sure i want to compromise. im hoping someone on these forums has an older version of one of these amps they no longer use or have another chinese quality amp that i may be able to grab. listening to the nad last night just felt like the music i was hearing was muffled and bland. once your eyes are opened to what is out there i can see why you guys strive constantly for the perfect sound to your ears.

You might like to give Ricky at Tube Focus a tingle: he has a few of the Tecon EL34 (which at 8wpc Class A) and is a nice amp. I had one here for about 6 months. If you likes the el34 they may be worth a look.

Email is tubefocusaustralia@hotmail.com

Also second warwick's sugg of a demo.

Oh..I just spotted this over at Greg's: http://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/

on the specials page: audiochamber.gif

"I only have one left.

My normal full 2 year warranty applies and after that, any problems will be at minimal cost.

The biasing controls are conveniently placed on either side of the amp, so bias can be easily checked in seconds.

40 watts per channel, using 2 of EL34 per channel running in Pentode, push-pull.

My new price $1,540

One only $890"

Now that is cheap.

Cheers

Tricka

Edited by tricka

thanks for all the replies, keep them coming. some of the amps suggested have been on the lower scale of wattage and i understand the paradigms have a high efficiency rating but would the amps still be able to deliver the higher volumes and deeper bass i love? or did i jump in the deep end and hear some of the higher quality valve amps in the cayin and melody and unrealisticly think i may be able to produce the quality of sound on a budget?

cheers

thanks for all the replies, keep them coming. some of the amps suggested have been on the lower scale of wattage and i understand the paradigms have a high efficiency rating but would the amps still be able to deliver the higher volumes and deeper bass i love? or did i jump in the deep end and hear some of the higher quality valve amps in the cayin and melody and unrealisticly think i may be able to produce the quality of sound on a budget?

cheers

I think most of amps suggested produce between 30 watts to 70 watts a channel and with the efficiency of Paradigm monitor 9 these amps will deliver the higher volumes and deeper bass you are after. My Tannoy TD10 is rated at 91db for its efficiency similar to your Paradigm monitor 9 and it is currently driven by Melody H300B which produces tiny 8.8 watts a channel but the set up has no problem in achieving great result at realistic listening level and I can go pretty loud with my speaker and amp combination. My friend who sold me the amp also running a pair of Osborn speakers of similiar efficiency with this amp but never complain about lacking of volume with the small amp. With speaker as efficient as Monitor 9 I don't think low output valve amp will be an issue specially with the amps in 30 to 70 watts range..

Edited by Jliang70