Sign in to follow this  
Gieseler Audio

Klein DAC II

I think a Klein DAC with both AK4137(hopefully) and AK4497 will be worth the wait.

Matt

I think a Klein DAC with both AK4137(hopefully) and AK4497 will be worth the wait.

Matt

I can tell you with confidence Matt, Clay's latest DAC is available now and is the ducks nuts!

Why wait and die wondering.... ;)

I am a DSD lover and like to have a DSD512 capable DAC.

Matt

I am a DSD lover and like to have a DSD512 capable DAC.

Matt

There doesn't appear to be much native DSD512 material around from what I have seen. Most of it is conversions of PCM to DSD512 which kind of defeats the purpose. DSD256 capability is probably the maximum performance you need at this stage ;)

cheers

Guys,

last Friday I attended the DSD512 Fest in Munich. It was a pleasure to experience first-hand what upsampling of all files to DSD512 brings to the party.

Matt

I am not an expert, but I think we have some misconceptions here.

I have posted earlier that IMO one has to decide what type of dac you want, e.g ladder type, the latest and greatest or DSD. There are different dacs for different purposes and tastes and it is not that anyone is wrong, it is just that we are different.

Where DSD comes in is not so much the source material. This is a BIG misconception. Source material is not the issue. 

What is happening now is that computers and software are used to upsample music to DSD 512 and then fed to the dac. 

A DSD512 dac is able to play source material up to DSD512, but at this stage it is more aimed to play the music upsampled by software like HQplayer. 

Edit: Thanks @@matth for clarifying - I am wrong then

Edited by Jventer

With a DSD512 capable Klein DAC you get all you need and with an additional SRC chip inside the DAC you do not need a software player for converting the files.

Matt

Edited by matth

Hey any chance of some feedback on the sound difference on DSD when using the bypass option.

This is implemented by pressing the mute button (lowest button) on the remote control. "B" shows on display

When on it bypasses quite a bit of the AK4490's internal circuitry.

Taken out of the loop are;

soft mute/attenuation control,  interpolator & the Delta sigma Modulator.

see block diagram

post-112957-0-24219200-1462916569_thumb.

Unfortunately there is a twenty five percent drop in level during bypass so you need to quickly level match during comparisons.

I still can't quite decide myself if there is a big improvement or not.

Anyone tried this?

@Clay:

Do you know if there is a DSD to PCM conversion for volume control of DSD signals in the AK4490 or is volume control for DSD signals performed in the DSD domain without conversion to PCM?

@Jventer:

Thanks, no problem.

Kind regards

Matt

Edited by matth