New Linux Based Server Software - Snakeoil!

I have to agree.

The huge amount of work that Agent Kith has put into Snakeoil is to be applauded.

I have tried all the MPD flavours but have gone back to Squeezelite 1.8 which seems best on my system. And the Squeezelite browser control is easier and more comprehensive.

• Like 1

I have to agree.

The huge amount of work that Agent Kith has put into Snakeoil is to be applauded.

I have tried all the MPD flavours but have gone back to Squeezelite 1.8 which seems best on my system. And the Squeezelite browser control is easier and more comprehensive.

I really like the iPeng 9 interface with my Squeezelite 1.8.

Although based on the above from @@rocl444 I will give MPD a run today.

• Like 1

I really like the iPeng 9 interface with my Squeezelite 1.8.

Although based on the above from @@rocl444 I will give MPD a run today.

Don, is your iPeng blue? I can't get used to the colour. Do you know how to change it?

• 2 weeks later...

Is this free? Is this designed for quality audio playback (FLAC for instance)? What about movie playback? Will it run on the Raspberry Pi 2B? Does it support the Hifiberry DAC+? Am I pissing on the wrong dog? Should I have gone and read the FAQ (if there is one)?

Hi Rob, do you have suggestion for the name of the next version? I am sure Agent Kith would be receptive.

Which hifi snake oil would you suggest ?

cryogenic freeze, Fuse Upgrade, Perfect pebbles, green sharpie, powercell, black box, psychoacoustic ......

One more ... Quantum lick and stick

Edited by rocky500

Which hifi snake oil would you suggest ?

Nah...I reckon future upgrades should stick with the snake oil as the main moniker...its very clever...then use variations on the snake...

Venom...fangs...python...rattler...wriggler...adder...still lots of fun to be had...

• Like 2

Just a quick note that might assist others: I am now using snakeoil by mounting an NFS share from my Linux-based server, but I have been getting lots of errors from mpd (logged in /var/tmp/stderr) because the file permissions weren't being set properly in the mounted nfs share.

Some googling revealed that the problem arose because the snakeoil machine did not have the same domain as my server. Setting the domain of the snakeoil machine fixed the problem.

Now my only remaining problem is that there is some high resolution music file that is causing mpd to get stuck while chewing up 100% CPU time. Some googling suggests this is likely due to a bug in one of the libraries used by mpd (e.g., ffmpeg), rather than mpd itself. I'll have to do some more investigative work to identify the culprit music file!

p.s. Glad to see the directory depth limit has been removed in the current version!

Thanks AK!

- r

• 2 years later...
On 21/03/2016 at 6:34 AM, Tasso said:

We are only using computer parts because we dont have the expertise to build  new  machines from scratch like Aurender, JFdigital , Linn , Naim etc have done.   Thinking of the best music server as being the best computer is a mistake  because  what sounds better from the perspective of audio does not necessarily follow what is best practice in the computing world. . The critical issue here is not the ability to operate reliably in mission critical real time applications, but to sound better than other motherboards. 

There is really not much more to say other than nothing should be assumed to be suitable for audio until it has proven to be the case in practice.  

A lot of work has been done on this on the other end of the world.  You may want to have a look at the following link:

https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4272

I've built two digital streamers using the Hakai recipe.  They sound brilliant.  Considerable work was done by Lejonklou and others to identify the best sounding components for a digital streamer.  This week I wanted to create a Hakai NAS or music server.  After much searching I came across the Snake Oil OS.  So far I'm using it as a server for my Hakai digital streamer using Minimserver within SO.  The Hakai digital streamer is using Volumio.  Since I set up the music server using SO I figure I have got around 20% improved sound compared to using my Netgear ReadyNAS which is brilliant!  What I'm trying to do now is find a combination of Minimserver or LMS on SO with the best sounding player on SO to sound better than Volumio and get the best out of SO. At first glance I can't quite see how to experiment with Minimserver or LMS and the best choice of player on SO to achieve the best combination.  I also want to use the system headlessly and control it with HiFi Cast on an android tablet or phone.  When I first looked at SO I thought I could use Minimserver or LMS with any player (MPD, Squeezelite etc.) via upmpdcli.  Perhaps I'm just being a noob but SO seems to want me to use LMS and Squeezelite as a pair or Minimserver with upmpdcli (I'm not sure which player this combo uses).  Does anyone have a view as to which player on SO is the best?  And how to use SO most effectively with that player and Minimserver or LMS via upmdcli?

• 3 months later...

Wow - just looked at the Snake Oil website.

https://www.snakeoil-os.net/

Looking very slick now & lots of good feedback on the forum.

https://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/

Raspberry Pi install too.

Agent Kith has obviously been working very hard - well done.

Looks like DSD playback is well sorted too.

Definitely going to give this a whirl ASAP 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Definitely going to give this a whirl

Very pleased to see this, Clay.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Wow - just looked at the Snake Oil website.
https://www.snakeoil-os.net/
Looking very slick now & lots of good feedback on the forum.
https://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/
Raspberry Pi install too.
Definitely going to give this a whirl ASAP 
But can it stream tidal?

Nice to see this thread active.

We await comparisons with the competitor products, and how Daphile and Volumio sound.

[emoji4]

Do any of these Linux os play tidal mqa? The other thing I worry about is drivers for USB dacs. Sometimes are not available and get stuck on 44.1 in linux