New Linux Based Server Software - Snakeoil!

with a few hitches and some great help from agent kith i have music being played by the snakeoil os. i am having to transfer my music library so i don't have familiar tracks available yet. listening to 16horsepower's folklore and it is sounding good. new speakers aren't helping to compare either.

@@Ancientflatulence it sounds worth the cost of a card. i am using a GoldenDisk from ali-express. i thought that might be better than the adapter for  sd cards i was using before.

i will get back here with some thoughts once i've been able to listen to some more familiar music. but it is not worse than vortexbox and better than daphile

• Like 1

so my library d/l is up to the M's and i have got some reference points i can check. the 1st is solid air by john martyn. fantastic for testing. it has a vibraphone coming in and out of the right channel and a tenor sax on the left. martyn's voice and acoustic guitar dominate the middle. the vibraphone is the real tester as when it is off it is really off.

so i played via snakeoil through my server with the jetway mobo, with os on a chinese cfast card and music on a samsung ssd. sotm pci card as well. giesseler psu. all connected to amr cd-77 via usb.

i then played it from disc using the amr and then again from the server. 1st, let me say i am late to hi-fi and in my 60's and with average hearing. i have developed my ability to "hear" music over the past 8 or so years but describing what i hear is more difficult. and i have a new set of speakers that arrived on thursday so that is impacting strongly as well.

previously i used vortexbox with OS and files on the same ssd, after spending some time with daphile on cfast for OS and ssd for files. VB was a real step up from daphile, but the difference between the same music on VB server or cdp was still readily apparent to my ears. not big enough to destroy my enjoyment of the music though.

today in my listening sesssion i have had real difficulty picking any differences between the music played from files and cd. i am sure they are there but at the moment i can't pick it. all three playings sounded so similar. maybe the vibes weren't as well controlled via the server. maybe john martyn's wonderful voice didn't come through quite as richly. 

with VB the background always had some grunge, but that seems to have gone. 

when i get the S's available i will use the opening track of abraxas to check for details and also the sound of the chimes which are very difficult to get right. but right now, comparing $o-oS, VB and daphile it is very clear that the effort of getting it loaded up and going is well worth it.

i hope this is helpful to those thinking about trying $o-oS. btw - i also had trouble getting daphile up and running and found it impossible to get VB running from the cfast card so the 3 or so hours it took to get up and running yesterday need to be taken in that context. agent kith was wonderfully helpful to me, and the process has led to some improvements being made to the manual on his website.

Edited by rocl444
  • Like 3

OK I downloaded the iso but it won't boot from the USB stick. Says no OS found.

I have the Jetway motherboard.

I downloaded again, made another USB stick and same problem.

Any hints?

I had the same issues with Jetway board. Try an old 1-2 gb USB drive. I think the jetway bios isn't happy with all the USB drive types . Otherwise I still have the drive that worked on mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@a.dent I suggest that you can also try removing PCI card and reset bios ( but enable AHCI for SATA ports. That jetway board likes to keep things simple it seems. Hooking everything up later is fine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Tasso

Okay, you nearly have me convinced ............ :) I am using the Jetway NF9C with 2 x  4GB DDR3L SODIMM ram sticks and a Sotm PCI card into a Gieseler Klein DAC.

I cannot see the Combo 384 Amanero player, which is what shows up as the player in Daphile when using the Klein, listed in the audio requirements. Will it work "out of the box" with the Klein DAC?

I will be installing to a Cfast card, as I have with Daphile, with all the music stored on 1TB SSD labelled New Volume and using NTFS type system.

(The NTFS file system came about because the Daphile version I started with would not allow file transfers (now resolved) so I was forced to transfer all my music on a Windows machine then install the SSD into the music computer.)

The music is all WAV files, will I need to format the ssd and reload the music or can I just point Snakeoil to the SSD?

If I can do this, I will probably unplug the SSD whilst installing Snakeoil simply to avoid confusion and then plug it in again after the OS is installed so that if I experience problems, I can't damage or corrupt anything ........ Is this a bad idea??

@@Ancientflatulence the list of drives to install to is complete and explicit so very hard to stuff that up. my issue was the bios was configured to read sata as IDE instead of AHCI. not sure how it happened but it happened twice. keep your eye on that.

the other thing that threw me was after the install, a log in came up on my screen and i tried to, but couldn't so thought i had made a mistake and went through the install again. ignore the log in and go to your browser, if you are going to use LMS, and put in the IP address and then 9000, thee same as shows when you are using LMS in VB or daphile.

So the NTFS file system and name of disc will cause no problems??? I would like to keep it if possible so that if I decide to go back to Daphile it should be just a straight swap of Cfast cards ......... (as long as I don't have to change my BIOS settings from whatever they are now to install Snakeoil.)

not sure about ntfs. just try it and see. it won't affect the install. if daphile sees it then i can't imagine there would be any problems. on the install it will show all the drives and sub-drives and free space, so you can tell if it is seeing it then. it will call it Samsung if that is the brand of ssd you are using.

Snakeoil will format your boot drive to Linux but you can have NTFS for music drive, just select NTFS when mounting the drive,

If converting from another Linux installation using NTFS drive, you may need to reformat it if having any problems booting up. The reason for this is that the music drive may have been assigned a conflicting volume identity by the old system

@@Ancientflatulence i don't really have any more to add to what i have said already. yes i am still listening and it is definitely an improvement on both daphile and vortexbox for SQ in my system to my ears. my new speakers affect any comparisons as their sound is quite different to the previous ones. i had intended to live with them for a week or 2 before trying $O-O$ but i thought i would just see how difficult it was to install and now i'm not going back.

so after about 12hrs of listening over 4 days i am really impressed by snakeoil and heartily recommend others to try it out and see how it works for them.

• Like 1

I'm using Snakeoil and I think the sound quality is excellent. :thumb:  I encourage people to try for themselves.

I loaded it onto SSD. Reloaded my library onto same SSD afterwards. Using with DN2800 motherboard (Atom).

Can anyone point me in the right direction with LMS.  Snakeoil sees the dac and my NAS, LMS sees and imports my music from the NAS, so where do I go from there. How do I point LMS to play through the dac ?

Cheers