Project Atmos

I'm building a new house with a dedicated space for a Dolby Atmos Home Theater. I never thought my wife would let me! Dont tell her how much I've spent!

My Wife and I have settled on a plan after god knows how many display homes and webpages. Its hard because of our land size of 512sqm is not that big compared to land that me and my friends grew up on on the edge of suburbia. I'm still waiting for the first draft of the house plans to come back and I know I need to amend things already. Like I haven't told them I need conduit throughout the walls for speaker wire LOL. And I'm yet to decide on the door type/style & position for entry. I also need to include an equipment closet, what do they look like? and where should I position it. I'm thinking I can pinch some space from the study next door to make a cupboard and run a vent fan into the ceiling cavity I guess. So if you want please feel free to help me through this journey and I will share all the info and photos as it comes along. I certainly need help. Like custom made subs I don't have a clue about and maybe there is something that I am missing that is obvious to you but not to me. I would really appreciate it. Thanks lads

Room Size
5.7 Long x 4.5m Wide x 2.55m High

Rough Sketchup
Home_theater_Sketchup_1.jpg

The plan - 26th Feb 2016
Hot_Theater_Room.jpg

Speakers:
I already have a few KEF Q Series speakers for the ground level for the 7.#.# out of the 7.1.4. I just ordered two in ceiling Ci200RR-THX speakers from the states and I will buy another couple in a few days to try and avoid the import tax etc.

Front L/R - Floor Standing Kef Q900
Surround L/R - Floor Standing Kef Q900
Surround Back - Kef Q300
Centre - Kef Q600c
Atmos Ceiling - 2x Kef Ci200RR-THX - Will buy another 2 to make 4 total

Subs
I have one SVS PC13-Ultra and I love it. But I had a lad suggest to me maybe I should go custom and make 4 of my own custom 18" sub-woofers. Ive never done this before and I dont know what it would sound like but I am excited to hear and feel what that would be like. or I can go another/2nd SVS PC13 Ultra but it will cost another $2,999. So potentially I can sell the PC13U that I own and fund a better system but I will have to make it myself and I have never done this before, but I am very handy and could pull it off, or not lol.

Screen & PJ
Projector - Epson tw9200
Screen - 120" 16:9 

In the Equipment closet
AVR - Denon x7200 (Need to buy still)
AMP - Rotel 1585 5 x 200w
Blu Ray - Oppo 103D
Satelite TV - Foxtel
Game console of choice - PS4
PC - 5960x + 2x GTX Titan X

Building Materials & Stuff
So far its Rocakwall insulation and Soundcheck plaster and some special glue with 90mm noggins.

Things I need help with:
1. Design for a component closet. What should it look like? where should it be positioned, what sort of fan system should it have, if any? etc

2. Custom made 18" subs - Where do I start I dont know. Do you know what would suit my room? Is there anyone near Geelong wanting to help me make them or be appart of the process in some way. What materials should I use and buy from where?

3. Is the Denon x7200 the best suited AVR for my 7.1.4 Atmos setup?

4. Should I do anything extra to the room?

5. I need to sort out position of the subs and what the center speaker will be sitting on.

5. Am I missing something?

Thanks lads!! 

UPDATES:

25th Feb 2016 - House plan locked in. First drafts getting done will be ready for 29th Feb.

26th Feb 2016 - Investigating into Fire Hoods and backing housings for in-ceiling speakers and if they are not installed with the in ceiling speaker to they void my houses fire insurance?

Looking into making my own subs!!! I am quite handy and don't mind giving it a crack just got to see if it will be an improvement over buying a 2nd SVS PC13Ultra. I'm guessing 2 or even 4 18" subs would be ridiculous but I want them to work 100 percent. I don't want to be fiddling with them all the time etc.

Also got to work out how I incorporate a equipment rack into my design and what I need to do to make it actually effective and not do a dodgy mashed up job of it.

So I have my home work cut out for me before the 29th Feb.

27th Feb 2016 - Sold a Cambridge Audio CXA80 integrated amp, Kef LS50's and a Cambridge Audio Minx X500 Sub to help fund the atmos project.
Edited by Hatlesschimp

I'm going to go 2x MartySub's. They are DIY Home Made sub that is well documented on various online forums that produces great results.

iNuke DSP

Inuke_DSP.jpg

MartyFull Sub
Mart_Full_Sub.jpg

Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax DVC Subwoofer
18_Sub.jpg

Hi chimp

Interesting. Why do you think you need an equipment closet? Do you specifically want it all hidden? A rack could sit in the study or garage. Then you also have to have a special remotethat can control it all from your seat. It can be done but extra cost and when there is a problem you have to keep waking back to the study to see what is going on. Annoying. The simpler/cheaper thing would be to have a rack with the centre speaker sitting on top of it - just below the screen. Also most speakers don't like being flat against the front wall so they will have sit out which means you have space behind for gear as well. What about in ceiling or in floor subwoofers - can be a good IF done right and save you space.

I would be nervous about the rear double door shown. Harder to seal the noise in and may also be hard to get it not to rattle if not done properly. I would have a single door.

You may be better off with multiple small subs rather than 2 big ones.

Power points. Lots of em and preferably on their own circuit.

Also don't forget ethernet and wi fi connections/ access. I doubt anyone will watch free to air or physical media10 years from now.

What are you doing for heating/cooling? Some systems can be very noisy when working and also another source for annoying rattle's when the subs fire - esp central heating vents.

An idea for your equipment closet is using a server rack.

You could flush mount it so that the bulk of the rack sits in the Study,

There is a thread on AVS that has some interesting ideas.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/788074-show-me-your-rack-2.html

Google "server rack for home theater" for some more ideas

I think I want a cupboard in the back right of the room with the rack inside it. I think a wider single door is the way to go. I'm guessing solid wood? I will check out JRISLES later. Cheers

Just bought 2 more of the Kef Ci200RR-THX in ceiling speakers. So no need to worry about them anymore. Probably wont pull them out of the box for 6 months lol. Now I'm eyeing up the DYI Sub parts and looking at the equipment closet.

Edited by Hatlesschimp

I'm having slow progress too... I think couple of my in ceilings been sitting in a box for 6 months atleast... Have bought bit of stuff, still got more still to get... And still need to install it all... So sympathise :)

Ps I too would ask... Why not an open rack... It's better for your gear...

Random thought and possibly too late to be considered...

Have you considered making your entry via the study (aka media storage, poster hanging, beer fridge, popcorn machine, HTPC/equipment) room?

Less sound leakage to the bedroom area of the house with a solid wall there than a door will get you without spending serious coin. Just need to place door appropriately to allow for you 4 midwall placed 18" subs in the HT :P

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Videopro Newstead
      Item: Denon X4400 9.2 Channel Surround Sound AVR - Ex Display
      Price: RRP $2999 - $2299
      Item Condition: Ex-Display in excellent condition
      Reason for selling: store upgrading to new model
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Direct Deposit, Credit Card  (Metro Shipping is also available at no extra cost)
      Extra Info: Denon X4400 9.2 channel AVR with 11.2 channel processing (for up to 7.2.4 speaker setups using external amplification).
      All standard accessories included and original box/foam.
      Full Manufacturer warranty applies from date of purchase.  * Video Pro is an authorised Denon Australia re-seller.

Pictures:

• By 08Boss302
      Hey All
      Query to those who will know or have done what i am wondering might work?

Current Set Up is 5.2
      Marantz SR 6011 9ch
      Kef Q series 950/650/350 and x2 SVS SB2000 Subs

Due to the design of the room, I have wall mounted the "side" surrounds but they actually sit behind me, not ideal I know, but i have calibrated them as such that they are effective - i've increased the db a little above the Audyssey setting using my own sound level and there is still plenty of effect and headroom - I am happy with this as it is now after much tweeking!

This week i am going to grab a set of Q50's and implement them as an upfiring atmos speakers to sit ontop of the 950's as part of the front configuration but it got me thinking, can these be used as a side surround also?  They have dual key hole wall mounts on the back of them for use as front heights and due to the angle of the speaker would potentiall be firing in an angle  exactly as i need them down toward the couch - if used as a side surround.  Then the Q350s would be the rear speakers only and probably overkill for the rears?  Maybe i can replace those with Q50s too and use the 350s as bookshelfs somewhere else LOL

So, that said, I would love to expand the system to a 7.2.2 by adding another set of surrounds to the actual side walls but due to a window on one side and and a door on the other this is not an option for the size of the Q350's and the bracketing needed, stands are also no option as it will close off acess to the couch etc on each side... however the Q50a speker would fit.  Yes, I would also love to add atmos to the rear too but due to my speakers being close to the ceiling there is no way i can do that, i just dont think the effect will be there and all i'll achieve is a speaker facing the ceiling and doing nothing close to its reflective intent.  Ceiling fitted speakers is not an option....

I guess I am not sure if the speakers designed for atmos are ideal for a genuine surround or multi channel  speaker thats all but im sure someone here will have tried or knows the answer - i am confident they wont be as impactful as the Q350's thats for sure.

Some pics and spec of the Q50 below and also some pics of my room so you can see what i mean by the rear and the side room....

thanks all

ModelQ50a
      DesignTwo-way Closed Box
      Drive Units130mm (5.25in.) aluminium Uni-Q
      25mm (1in.) vented aluminium dome HF
      Frequency range free field(-6dB) 96Hz-19.5kHz
      Frequency Response(±3dB) 105Hz-18.5kHz
      Crossover Frequencies2.5kHz
      Maximum Output106dB
      Amplifier requirements10-100W
      Sensitivity(2.83V/1m) 86dB
      Nominal Impedance8 Ohms (min.4.6 Ohms)

room looking to the rear (which are actually set up as the side surrounds!                                                     a view of the space to ceiling which is why i am not thinking atmos upfiring will work at the rear

now a view from the middle seat in the couch to each immediate side where i am wondering if a Q50 will suffice as a side surround (and now got me potentially thinking as a rear too to replace the Q350's)

To Right hand side                                                                                                            To the Left hand side

• By shueardm1
      One extra feature. 5 thousand bucks!!!
      That's the ridiculous price tag I have come to realise for my own circumstance in order to add Dolby and DTS 3D audio.
      It's out of the question and it makes me pretty unhappy that I have to force myself to ignore the want. Sure, if I was a high income earner I'd be dedicated to spend that and maybe even more - because I want it!! Alas, my family deserve me to spend the money on them and not another set of home theatre upgrades.
      Now let me explain why I put a 5 grand price on this. Before hand though, I might just add that I have ZERO interest in adding Dolby Vision, HDMI 2.1, HDCP 2.2 video switching features, am totally happy feeding HDMI cables to the TV with the video and one HDMI from the SONY X800 to the pre-amp for audio as I currently do with just one toslink coming back from the TV digital output when using Foxtel, Chromecast or inbuilt TV apps. I know I will get these extra benefits with any new components but it's not a value to me I would choose to pay extra for because we like having just the TV on from time to time ya know, don't need 1000W to watch TV.
      I currently run 7.1 with all VAF speakers and have an old but high quality Integra pre-amp DCH 9.9 , 1x Yamaha receiver ( RX-V1) used for 5 ch power and 1 x Yamaha (RX-V3000) for surround back power, so I do not wish to spend money and go backwards on quality, there's the biggest problem. How do I upgrade just one feature for a fair price without going backwards.
      Sure, I could get a Black Friday special 7.2 ch AV receiver for maybe a grand and run 5.1.2 ( boring) and there's my ATMOS> No thanks, those entry level or even mid level units are a step backwards in power and quality of power. What really upsets me is that these low to mid tier units do not have pre-outs OR if they do have pre-outs they never have enough pre-outs. If you want 7.1.4 the manufacturers FORCE you into the very high end receiver market or the separates market and you need 3 grand plus JUST TO ADD ATMOS to an existing capable 7.1 system. Why can't they make a sub $1000 receiver with low power amps or just 7 or 9  channels but at least have 11 channel pre-outs? 
      If I am going to do something I am going to do it right, that means 7.1.4 and that means my cheapest option is the Marantz SR 6013 plus my existing RX-V1 to drive at least 2 channels. ( id probably drive 5 from it ). It also means I need 2 sets of quality height speakers ( $2 k ) and accessories, 5 k all up.
      I know a lot of people would say get  cheaper speakers but I don't want the new feature to be the low point, from what I have read I would not be happy with 2 height channels either and best to go 4 up top?

Sorry if my whining is hard to understand. I just can't play with the big boys like I was hoping to.

• By Matyk
      Hi guys
      Im seeing if anyone on here is from sydney and own the ls50w kef speaker and would be kind enough to bring to my house so i can listen and see if i can handle a downgrade.

I can offer 50$ plus petrol money.

If i like the sound i will sell my gear and downgrade. I want to see if my dac will sound better on the ls50w also.

I can either buy brand new or second hand.  Either way doesn't bother me.

I have  a baby due in 6 weeks  and i want to try a downgrade. If its not for me ill stick with what i have

Cheers guys.

• By Hatlesschimp
      Item: KEF Reference CI5160RL-THX Speakers (3x Speakers, suit LCR)
      Quantity: 3x Speakers 
      Price: $8,500 (RRP $15,000)
      Item Condition: USED but like new. 2 years old. 
      Reason for selling: Going in another direction, going to build my own speakers.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash on pick up
      Extra Info: These speakers will look great in  modern living room. Their beauty is wasted behind the screen. Performance wise they will pass any test. Truly excellent condition. Always been adequately powered with a 200w Rotel class AB amplifer.
      Unfortunately I have sprayed the grilles black but not hard to change again if needed. I would leave them off if you can. You can have the boxes I made for them too if you want till you get your room sorted and atleast then you can still have a listen. Overall I'm hoping I dont regret selling them. They sound great and have brought many movie sound tracks to life when other systems have not. 
      Come test them out before you buy, but only for serious buyers, sorry.

Pictures: Sorry I dont have any other pictures on my phone after I got the new phone. If interested I will certainly take the projector screen off and take some new photos.
      The last photo I pulled from Google and shows a in wall setup with my speakers.