Sign in to follow this  
A J

Volkswagon Type R Wolfsberg limited edition wagon

1 minute ago, :) al said:

the ZF auto is very good ! 

on other hand forgetting about LSDs have you checked out the golf R instead ? especially coming from WRX and awd likely be right up alley :) 

RE: ZF I've heard it's a stellar box. My understanding around the LSD is that it is an aftermarket option from the dealer so I would have thought the ZF box could have been optioned with it but not from the factory.

I'd be easily swayed to the Golf but in all likely hood the grown up in me is leaning towards the Passat R (same transmission and engine as the R). Which opens up the APR tuning options in the future and having opened the pandora's box of tuning it will be tempting to venture down that path after a few years.

The fantasy is BMW M2, or an Audi S5 or the new RS3 (after reading the above link, it seems to have shed the extra weight the engine used to have and now it's a serious track weapon that can be used as a daily).

Ooh - deal breaker - as  much as I enjoy manual cars, doing a commute everyday in a manual doesn't float my boat and no LSD option on the ZF box pretty much cans that option!

Are you sure about  no LSD on the ZF box 

I don't know if it is available as an added option on the ZF.

The M140 Performance may have added the LSD as a bonus for the cheaper manual box - because both variants are the same price.

Or you can get the M2 [emoji51] DCT and M Differential.

Or if you really need the space the M3 Pure is just a bit more expensive.

Hoping to pick up our Wolfy this week. Was meant to be today but a couple of imperfections in the paint so we have walked away awaiting a counter offer. No other blue Wolfy hatches available this year

17 hours ago, blybo said:

Hoping to pick up our Wolfy this week. Was meant to be today but a couple of imperfections in the paint so we have walked away awaiting a counter offer. No other blue Wolfy hatches available this year

hey blybo, hope paint gets sorted. blue ? interesting I would have bet you would have gone white ! colours in wolf i found are indeed restricted, even if can get one ! :D 

looking forward to pis and how find it :)

It's the VW motorsport colour, ala the old R36 Passats, just a bit deeper in shade. The paint is a very minor defect like pinpricks where colour hasn't taken but only when viewed at certain angles in certain light. You would need to look carefully to find it but VW have admitted it's not right. Unfortunately it's on multiple panels so would require a full respray, not something we would do to a new car. They offerred us a wagon in stock that alsoWife is not interested in a wagon now (I'd prefer it) so negotiating on price and extra warranty etc

Wife just called and we feel the offer they made is pretty close to what we wanted, but she is going to view it again now under overcast weather conditions.

@blybo did you manage to hear the Dynaudio  stereo How did it sound?

I'm looking at the R hatch but the boot is more restrictive than my STI so might consider the r wagon when they come out middle of this year. However, the hatch looks better IMO.

Drove the hatch Mk7.5 and enjoyed it. Drove the Stinger GT too which was interesting/large GT cruiser but maybe for when I want a tamer car

Edited by roh008

On 2/8/2018 at 12:29 PM, :) al said:

colours in wolf i found are indeed restricted, even if can get one !

There are bugger all colours available in Golfs full stop. WE ended up with a rubbish metallic grey as anything of interest either would take months and months or was no longer available. Plenty of choice when you look at the online configurator or in a brochure but sod all when it comes to what VW have actually brought into the country.

2 hours ago, Hergest said:

There are bugger all colours available in Golfs full stop. WE ended up with a rubbish metallic grey as anything of interest either would take months and months or was no longer available. Plenty of choice when you look at the online configurator or in a brochure but sod all when it comes to what VW have actually brought into the country.

this is very true. i note too eg the gti original is only going to be sold in red and white ...thats it ! performance series in white and the wierd iron blue.... so being really restrictive 

3 hours ago, roh008 said:

Drove the hatch Mk7.5 and enjoyed it. Drove the Stinger GT too which was interesting/large GT cruiser but maybe for when I want a tamer car

did you end up trying the m140i for rwd goodness ? has a boot a bit larger in-between golf gti-golf R though wagon is tons more room again and love the expansive glass roof it comes with. ps they have mad dynaudio finally an option across the golf range if cant get hold of a wolf.

8 hours ago, roh008 said:

@blybo did you manage to hear the Dynaudio  stereo How did it sound?

I'm looking at the R hatch but the boot is more restrictive than my STI so might consider the r wagon when they come out middle of this year. However, the hatch looks better IMO.

So far a bit thin but from the dealership they had cranked up the sub to make up for it. I'll give it a month before giving a serious listen and tweak, as it doesn't go very far on a daily basis.

There is a Blue Wolfsburg wagon sitting in the Ferntree Gully VW showroom, no need to wait. I prefer the wagon, have always had a softpot for go fast wagons... and they are so practical as a cyclist and a rep carrying samples.

@:) al i didn't in the end. I figured it would bug me knowing it's a great engine and good chassis but not big enough in the rear. I didn't know the boot was bigger than a R though?

15 minutes ago, roh008 said:

@:) al i didn't in the end. I figured it would bug me knowing it's a great engine and good chassis but not big enough in the rear. I didn't know the boot was bigger than a R though?

hi roh, yeah 360L vs 340L in the golf R. but i get feeling you are looking or a lot more in anycase with the wagon and such :)

I don't have any photos yet as the car got wet and dusty the day after delivery, but I got my first little squirt around the burbs yesterday arvo. Whoa, this thing is seriously quick, and the power is much more immediate and easily accessible than my SS Redline. Still not quite as responsive as the GTI we just sold, probably due to a bit of turbo lag. I assume it's a bigger turbo so makes sense. Still, we easily hit around 140kph on a freeway entrance before I knew it and had to back off.

Again in a direct comparison to the Mk7 GTI we sold, turn in is not as immediate but that may be purely due to green tyres at this point, it's only done a tick over 100kms so far as my wife was working on the weekend and refused to swap cars... You can also immediately feel the greater weight/drive-train friction, but that actually helps to make it a smoother car off the line, not sure if the 7sp DSG contributes as I also found a similar thing test driving a Mk7 R

looks like golf R adding another special edition which includes an akrovic exhaust. looks pretty swanky and with pops and burbles for sound track 

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/volkswagen-golf-r-special-edition-cranks-it-up-114354/

though id check one out in person, when I was getting the lsd on my bmw the guys there talked of akrovic option for the bmw but gee its apparently LOUD ... want to tune out for instance the richer running start from engine program and such. as very loud ! 

its a smart move on VW part wiht these limited editions... gets interest, limited stock so takes care of the supply demand to keep pricing in check for them. and takes through to gulf opto end of year. looks a nicely optioned car :)

After 5 years of trouble free boi racer fun with the Golf GTI - decided to upgrade to the MY20 7.5 Golf R.    the current pricing of the fully spec'd R's are amazing atm - cheaper than what I paid for the GTI 5 years ago.

DFW5xof.jpg

ZiXhblF.jpg

17 hours ago, metal beat said:

After 5 years of trouble free boi racer fun with the Golf GTI - decided to upgrade to the MY20 7.5 Golf R.    the current pricing of the fully spec'd R's are amazing atm - cheaper than what I paid for the GTI 5 years ago.

DFW5xof.jpg

ZiXhblF.jpg

Keep a close eye on your paint. My wife's Wolfsburg in that colour was returned for a full refund after spots that looked like water drying on it appeared over the first few weeks of ownership. Great fun car though and seriously quick.

1 minute ago, blybo said:

Keep a close eye on your paint. My wife's Wolfsburg in that colour was returned for a full refund after spots that looked like water drying on it appeared over the first few weeks of ownership. Great fun car though and seriously quick.

Will do.   Spots all over the car or a certain area?

4 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Spots all over the car or a certain area?

Bonnet was the worst but most panels had them appear.

On 02/06/2017 at 10:23 PM, roh008 said:

I'd be easily swayed to the Golf but in all likely hood the grown up in me is leaning towards the Passat R (same transmission and engine as the R). Which opens up the APR tuning options in the future and having opened the pandora's box of tuning it will be tempting to venture down that path after a few years.

A bit late to the party here on my part (and slightly off-topic) but I snaffled a Skoda Superb Sportline wagon as a new work vehicle a month or so ago. Same setup as the Passat R with the Golf R goodies including the adjustable suspension dampers etc. It's about a second slower than the Golf R in the traffic light grand prix dash (a slightly lesser state of engine tune... only 206kw/350Nm) but it's certainly quite spritely - and launch control is a hoot. Another bloke at work grabbed one of the last Passat R wagons in the country about four months ago, and it's also a lovely machine.

Both have serious potential for ECU tuning as you've already outlined - there are many killerwasps and torques waiting to be unleashed.

1 minute ago, blybo said:

Bonnet was the worst but most panels had them appear.

Damn,  sounds like bad luck as have not read that anywhere else on the net in my trawling.

Sounds like it will be easy to spot tho 😊

And yes,seriously fast car with refinement and balance. 

Just now, metal beat said:

Damn,  sounds like bad luck as have not read that anywhere else on the net in my trawling.

Sounds like it will be easy to spot tho 😊

And yes,seriously fast car with refinement and balance. 

As we were negotiating a BIG discount or refund I had to keep my mouth shut. But well done by VW by refunding the money. I have a short phone shot video but this site won't allow it to be inserted. Maybe PM with your email address and I'll forward it.

On 30/01/2020 at 1:48 PM, pete_mac said:

A bit late to the party

nope not late at all!!!

I forgot I wrote that message.. and the update is...drum rolll.....

I bought the Golf R wagon - handling compromise for extra boot space was acceptable, even though the hatch looks nicer. The pano roof and Dynaudio package are nice too. 

I'll be tuning in a year or two most likely, plenty of fun for now though.