Woofer,s Dual Purpose Room.....Duntech Sovereign , Krell ,Manley Labs, JVC...

Just thought i would start a new thread as this is a change from what i originally intended of my dedicated "Music" room.

Originally i built and setup my room for the sole purpose of audio only.... this was great but i wished i had incorporated a "Home Theatre" aspect into it and sort of regretted not doing so.

This was my room as was dedicated to audio only...

DSC_0127w_zpsdgjjl1da.jpg

I decided i wanted to turn my room into a "Dual Purpose" music and home theatre..

I already had gear i could utilise that was taking up space in storage.. 

I didnt want to use my Manley Labs 250 Neo,s to drive the Duntechs for movie,s so i utilised a Classic Krell KSA250 to drive the Sovereigns for movie playback. A Denon AVCA1SR combined with a Denon POA T3 drives the centre and the rears.A Sony BDP5000ES take care of playback. 

Projection....... I couldnt decide between the JVC DLA 5000B or the 7000B initially so i purchased both. After comparisons  a friend is buying the 5000B off me and i   am keeping the 7000B. .....Just a note.... The JVC DLA5000B is an awesome bargain... the difference between the 5000 and 7000 really is minimal ...specs say otherwise but in reality there is not much in it!!!

Screen is an Aus Theatre Screens "Majestic 4K Evo 140" 16:9.... Beautiful  screen by the way...and Aussie made. ( Thanks Richard) 

I also have to mention my "New" centre speaker.  I auditioned several "High End" centres , but was less than impressed with some and even less impressed with their price tags. I wanted something that started to compliment The Duntech,s. 

I came across Adelaide Speakers....looked at the centres and contacted Edward. He built me one of his "Trio" centres using 2 x 8" Bass , 2 x 5" Mid  and Ribbon Tweeter.

I cannot say enough about Edwards centre!!!!!  The performance "shames" some of the "Brand" name centres i have had to audition, a couple  costing 5 times more!!. THANKS Edward and well done.

Anyway....  It has all turned out really well....both Music and Movies can now be enjoyed. Very happy with the results..

Pics.

DSC_0228w_zps3hmm43hh.jpg

DSC_0240w_zpschcfsfmg.jpg

DSC_0265w_zpsm5dyxfza.jpg

DSC_0273w_zpsagkfhy7h.jpg

DSC_0277w_zpscsnp3kgp.jpg

DSC_0288w_zpsdc1rir6t.jpg

DSC_0289w_zpsq1zwvng5.jpg

DSC_0293w_zpsysfvzho2.jpg

DSC_0294w_zpsmhbcopgt.jpg

DSC_0295w_zpsm26bhvuy.jpg

DSC_0296w_zpslisuvfzo.jpg

DSC_0298w_zpsavsye8kj.jpg

DSC_0303w_zpslbc6famx.jpg

DSC_0309w_zpsf4v5fgno.jpg

DSC_0310w_zpsftgkykl3.jpg

DSC_0312w_zpswzajohcr.jpg

• Like 33

Excellent setup there wooferocau , I heard the sovereigns driven by a big krell amp many years ago at Vince Ross Audio here in Perth.

Brilliant sound , it inspired me to buy Duntech crown prince which I lived happily with for over 10 years.

Nice choice of projector too....the jvc's are a class above everything else imo.

Room looks great, but!!!

Piss off those crappy mains and get something good.

I'll take them of your hands btw, save you taking them to the tip.

Seriously great stuff you have there, what a room to enjoy. Well done.

Tell me more about the new center, I think I have the same issue.

• Like 1

Looks great,

Do you just unplug the Krell and plug in the Manleys when switching to music playback?

M

Yeah, ive got  2 sets of Purist Audio speaker cables , so just switch between the Manleys and the Krell at the speaker end.

Its funny actually concerning the Manley,s and the Krell.... many people have told me how that the Duntech,s will only perform their best when using a "Big" solid state amp and "Valve" amps, even big ones  are not suitable...well you can switch between the Manley,s and the Krell and the Manley,s out perform the Krell in every way....including bass!.... The Krell is powerfull but i wouldnt class it as "Musical". 

• Like 3

Nicely done!  It's on my to-do list to do something similar in my shed - trouble is that list is growing by the day! :(

I'm intrigued that Edward could build a centre speaker to match the big Duntechs - I was planning on using different mains for HT (will probably still have to) but it would be so much nicer to use the same speakers for HT.

Why use the Krell for  HT if the Manleys sound better in every respect?  Preserving the longevity of the valves or avoiding the valve warm-up wait or some other reason?

Nicely done!  It's on my to-do list to do something similar in my shed - trouble is that list is growing by the day! :(

I'm intrigued that Edward could build a centre speaker to match the big Duntechs - I was planning on using different mains for HT (will probably still have to) but it would be so much nicer to use the same speakers for HT.

Why use the Krell for  HT if the Manleys sound better in every respect?  Preserving the longevity of the valves or avoiding the valve warm-up wait or some other reason?

The Krell is great for HT...powerfull, very dynamic , but still VERY hot!

The Manley,s need a warm up period, and HT unnecessarily   takes off time from the valves.... I have just purchased a set of Gold Lion KT77,s and @ $70 a tube for 20 tubes ( 10 per Monoblock) i aint using them up on HT..  :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Love the centre channel, but position wise seems awfully low. Could you put something under the front to angle it upwards. Perhaps using a laser pointer.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

Pics are deceiving, the Centre is pointing to "ear height" at the seating position. The stand is a Monitor Audio which has provision for tilting and such..

• Like 2

Been doing some comparisons between the Manley Labs Pre and a Vintage Krell pre...The Krell actually sounds more "tubey" than the Tubed Manley labs pre.

I had a Manley Jumbo Shrimp before.... I think you should really have a listen to one of these, it's a whole different level.... Stock tubes are OK but the 300B really shines once you roll some other tubes into it.

post-109474-0-12060600-1457860309_thumb.

Recently i decided to replace my trusty old Sony BDP 5000ES Blu Ray player....been a terrific player and never given me any drama,s..

The player is paired with the JVC DLA X7000 DILA Projector..

I got the Oppo 105D and the Pioneer BDP LX88 to audition.......after a period i decided the Pioneer LX88 was for me.  The Oppo is a great unit with more "Frills" than the Pioneer BUT ultimately it was about video quality , and in this regard the LX88 is noticeably better than the Oppo. 

Th LX88 is a VERY well built unit, very quiet in operation .....its a simpler no fuss unit than the Oppo.

I know 4K is here but at this moment in time there are still to many issues to be sorted.

DSC_0333w_zps62qnm0gy.jpg

DSC_0335w_zpsd3abrrpa.jpg

DSC_0339w_zpsqsa168q1.jpg

DSC_0338w_zpsq8a48yvd.jpg

DSC_0345w_zpsi5nush06.jpg

DSC_0343w_zpsykpw2baq.jpg

DSC_0350w_zpss4oh8vpm.jpg

DSC_0351w_zpsetfbkmrh.jpg

• Like 5

@wooferacou

In your comparison between oppo 105D and pioneer LX88 which SOUNDED better.

I read that pioneer picture quality is better than oppo .

Your comments will be appreciated .

I love your set up.

@wooferacou

In your comparison between oppo 105D and pioneer LX88 which SOUNDED better.

I read that pioneer picture quality is better than oppo .

Your comments will be appreciated .

I love your set up.

For HT sound i couldn't separate the 2.

For 2 channel audio using analogue outs the Oppo is "warmer/fuller" sounding  than the Pioneer, but the Pioneer seems to have more detail without being "bright", again its very close and probably boils down to personal preferences and the rest of your system.

For video, the Pioneer is clearly better.. :)

I would just like to say a huge THANKYOU to Cameron of @@Krispy Audio.  

I have just received some Furutech XLR cables Cameron put together for me. The cable,s are using Furutech,s FA-220 wire and Furutech XLR connectors. One pair is 11mts in length and the other is a std 1mtr length.

The cables run from my Esoteric SACD palyer to the Krell pre to the Manley Labs Neo 250 Monoblocks. I previously was using Purist Audio Aqueous Aureus , but was having a few issues with the cables. . The Purist cables are MANY MANY times the price of the Furutech cables . 

After a listening session today i am VERY happy with the results of the Furutech cables!!!!! . The Purist cables are very  dark and a little restrained ....the Furutech have opened the sound with increased dynamics and better top end. 

Considering the price difference in the cables , the Furutech are an absolute  "bargain" .... very impressed with the cables and Camerons service and workmanship.... :thumb:   

DSC_0042w_zpskxjid25k.jpg

DSC_0043w_zpsas7yprag.jpg

DSC_0044w_zpsrpjrs3lc.jpg

DSC_0046w_zps4kusjnnb.jpg

DSC_0047w_zpsupyiernt.jpg

DSC_0050w_zpso804dgoa.jpg

DSC_0051w_zps94mxgfzv.jpg

• Like 3