Sign in to follow this  
eman

USB/HDD > Pi > SBT > Amp. How?

I wanted to be able to take one of my Pis to another's place and use my smart phone as the router\wifi hotspot. This is so I don't have to rely on non-networking savvy others to allow my smart phone to control my Pi thought the WebUI without having to access thier routers etc.

Hope you get my drift.

Anywho today I had my Pi2B under Volumio running from my phone wifi hotspot, access web radio and the Volumio WebUI from the phone browser. The phone even tells my what IP it has given the Pi. Also if you smart phone is so setup to access your home wifi when home it drops that out and relies on the mobile Network for all internet access.

I need feel I can take much Pi music sever to others, complete with 24/192 Pi DAC and plug it into thier system with full control from my phone. Yet another step forward.

Also there is a new Volumio out from just a few days back. I tried to do the update through the Pi but no go. So now I'm downloading the image file and going back to scratch on my Pi2B with HiFiBerry+ DAC.

I'll report back.

I'm very happy with RuneAudio, I think Volumio and RuneAudio split a few years back or so.

A few things about RuneAudio, it works very well, although switching from the MPD player (files on my NAS) to Spotify glitches 1 time out of 10 or less. And the Spotify back end does not support gapless playback, oh well.

I also noticed that when switching from SMB file server to NFS file server the responsiveness was a tad faster, running over Wifi. Nothing dramatic. What I'm experiencing sometimes on FLAC files are minuscule "clicks", as if a sample were dropped somewhere. However, I noticed that only when listening on headphones, so it might as well be the headphone amp. Haven't tested the Pi on copper yet. Or maybe it's the fact that I'm using an external USB DAC... anyway, minor things really that need sorting out.

I'm more annoyed about the hum that the transformer causes inside the wooden box where it's housed. It's gotten so bad I can hear it from 3 metres away. Time to tackle that methinks.

Other than that, a very positive experience.

Mark, what do you stream from Volumio, only online FM radio?

Volumio .976 is an improvement over the release before. They do list the fixes they have made. One nice, but not critical feature, is you can select different backgrounds and even load you own BG image. Fun but, depending on the background, can make reading music library lists etc. difficult. But after a few goes I found one of my uploaded images worked and looked great.

On the playback screen Volumio now has more info about the file you are playing in an icon. But doesn't show the bit rate of web radios which is a feature I like about Rune.

It took 20mins to have the new image loaded, configured and running. No excuse not to upgrade. No hacking required.

Next I'm looking at building my own 5V USB supplies. On phones some hiss and low level buzz can be heard.

Here are three different Pis. Pi3B connects to my USB, DSD, XMOS DAC, one (Pi2B X 2) has a Digital daughter board for optical and digital out and the other...

I was given an Armadillo steel enclosure. I decided to spray the bottom and side panels black gloss and the top red gloss of course. Weighs a ton, looks smashing. Runeaudio is on the 3 with Volumio on the 2s.

post-108489-0-09555600-1471505015_thumb.

Here are three different Pis. Pi3B connects to my USB, DSD, XMOS DAC, one (Pi2B X 2) has a Digital daughter board for optical and digital out and the other...

I was given an Armadillo steel enclosure. I decided to spray the bottom and side panels black gloss and the top red gloss of course. Weighs a ton, looks smashing. Runeaudio is on the 3 with Volumio on the 2s.

Looks good Mark - bring one over in a few weeks time !!  ;)

Looks good Mark - bring one over in a few weeks time !!  ;)

I can make my Windows 10 phone (Lumia 550) a wifi hotspot and use it as a router and phone as remote. Don't need your router but at home I run it through my router. Works well for demos.

Will do.

I received the Digi daughter brd. for the Pi the other day. I also got the associated case (black Perspex in the image above). Jaycar sell a $40 DAC with digital and optical in and audio out. I bought a short optical cable to connect the two but the hole in the case is to small for my cable. A rat tail field will shortly fix this. I connected the Pi Digi brd to the DAC with a short RCA cable. It works and works well.

The DAC from Jaycar soundas as good as my other expensive DIY USB XMOS DSD DAC but only does upto 24/192. These days I'm not buying any more DSD files as the they are generally $35 a download album but staying with the 24/192. The Pi2B, Digi brd and Jaycar DAC is a good simple cheap combo and works perfectly and sounds really excellent. This combo is running under Volumio 0.9 the latest release. I'm about to try it under Rune.

Rune DOESN'T support the Digi daughter brd. But back to Volumio and all is good. Currently listening with the optical cable in. While I had Volumio reloaded I checked for updates. Good news there is now V0.979 which was released on 20 Aug. Volumio successfully updated from the pop-up menu no need to install an image from a PC etc.

Back with Volumio and optical connection into the Jaycar DAC and tube preamp and power amp (EL84). Big afternoon ahead.

Anyone using MPDroid to control their Pi, with an android device, have you got it to display cover art? I've tried to get mine to display local cover art, ie cover art on the HDD plugged into the Pi's USB port, but all I can get is the default Moode graphic that you get when no cover art is available.

I have tried pointing the MPDroid cover art settings > path to music>http://moode as the path, and cover art file name, but I just get the default art. Any ideas?

I use mpdroid. Most of my music displays album art, but not all. I figured it was a file format issue, rather than address issue. Haven't bothered investigating so far. I'll have a look this weekend.

I only use the browser on my Lumia windows phone. Sometimes cover art, sometimes not.

@st3ph3nm and @mwhouston have you selected local art, and not down load from web sources though?

Edit: @mwhouston sorry, just realised you said you use the browser. I'm not sure if the browser sees embedded art or a graphic file. Either way, on the ones you don't see artwork it is missing LOL

Edited by bob_m_54