Tesla model Trois (3)

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Rockford said:

One of my gripes of the car, in my Lexus when you get out of the car it moves the seat back and pulls the steering wheel in so getting in and out is easier.

Obviously this is triggered by switching the car off which you don't do in a Tesla in the same way. Maybe, car in P and open door should trigger it or something. I am thinking of creating a Profile called Exit and applying that, I can see the side wing of the seat getting worn out quickly otherwise.

That's a feature of the Model S & X, and, most likely the Model 3. It's called 'Easy Entry' and is triggered by putting the car in P. You can activate it if you want, and set the position, or, switch it off

• Like 1
  • Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When you take delivery of your Tesla the first thing you do is agree to the contract that's displayed on the centre screen. After that, the car asks you to name it.  My car is called Chicxulub, t

No of course not, I want to level up

10 hours ago, Briz Vegas said:

I discussed the sales experience with my other friend on the way home, which as a psychologist was right up her alley. We concluded that the key difference with Tesla is that the sales people are genuinely into the product. They are not just selling another car, they are selling something they believe it.  As a customer the experience is a world away from the Renault guy a few weeks back who probably just wanted to get back to talking to his mates about his weekend plans or whatever.

Go easy. There are sales people that really do care about their product and will remember you ad infinitum. Try buying a car in Japan.

The Renault team makes zero money on the Zoe and there's so strategy that'll guarantee they ever see you, an EV customer, ever again. 

Glad you're enjoying the journey though.

Edited by rmpfyf

While some ....most media outlets claim that Tesla is about to get swallowed up by Mercedes Benz and Audi brand power the Tesla Model 3 outsells every BMW model combined  ( including SUVs) last month in the US.  This is while Tesla are selling a car at a 3 series price in an effort to turn a profit and get volume up.  That car will soon be available at about 30% less with a smaller  ( but still decent ) battery....if anyone specs it that way. 

Note the price of the Tesla vs it’s current high volume competition.  It seems that no matter what the mainstream press will never stop anti selling the upstart.  In fact I am starting to wonder if the underdog status of Tesla might be why so many people identify with them.  

2D342F1C-742E-424C-BCA7-D033800FF8C7.jpeg

• 4 months later...

Model 3 finally arrives in Europe.

https://electrek.co/2019/02/05/tesla-model-3-europe-first-massive-shipment-port/

A lot of people, including a fleet manager at my place of employment,  seem to think the Model 3 is unlikely to make its mid 2019 (ish) timeframe for arrival on Australian shores.  I think she would be surprised to see it this year. Personally I would be stoked with Q3 and I think it’s a likely timeframe based on this latest event.  Brexit is a wildcard, or maybe just noise, as I assume the cars will be very similar spec, if not identical.

Will I be dissappointed timing wise? I’ve already waited longer than it took to get my Paul Hynes power supply (which was a 12 month wait after payment....and I still use it today).

• Moderators

If this report is true, Audi and Porsche will build some fabulous EVs, but are still some way behind Tesla on doing it profitably

Tesla Model 3 is now entering the European market and it is making some automakers nervous. According to a new report, Porsche and Audi reverse-engineered Tesla’s new electric car and they were quite surprised by its cost.

It’s somewhat common in the industry to purchase vehicles from competitor to see what they are up to, but it also becomes a necessity for vehicles that are seen as important disrupters.

The Model 3 appears to fit the description as it apparently outsold all other premium sedans combined in the US.

During the early production ramp up, it was difficult to get your hands on a Model 3, but some automakers paid a pretty penny to be amongst the first to be able to check out the new electric car.

About a year ago, two Model 3 vehicles were spotted on their way to Germany – presumably to be reverse-engineered.

Later, a report came out about a German automaker being impressed by Model 3 after reverse-engineering it.

Now a new report from Germany’s Manager Magazin (German and paywall) includes a deep dive into the state of Audi with comments from executives and insider sources.

It claims that Porsche and Audi, who are working together on a next-generation electric platform, had to change their approach because the cost was too high compared to what Tesla is achieving.

They report:

“The Porsche and Audi engineers have to change [the PPE] because Tesla’s Model 3 has gotten better than they thought.”

The next-gen platform called Premium Platform Electric (PPE) was greenlighted almost two years ago and it is expected to be ready around 2020 or 2021.

According to the new report, the first version was coming at about 3,000 euros too expensive, which Porsche is said to be able to absorb but Audi wasn’t on board. They believe that they need to lower the cost in order to be competitive with other upcoming EVs.

The battery cell cost is apparently the biggest factor that pushes the cost of the platform higher and Tesla claims to be leading the industry on that front.

According to the report, Audi and Porsche could delay the PPE in order to improve the cost and be competitive with Tesla.

The PPE is becoming increasingly important for Audi according to Manager-Magazin’s report, which describes a failing e-tron program:

The e-tron as the first electric Audi is not only late. It does not reach some target values and has become far too expensive with more than two billion euros in development costs. The approximately 600,000 cars sold for the break-even are now regarded as an illusion.

The e-tron electric SUV was supposed to be delivered to customers last year, but Audi says that software issues have resulted in delays.

The German automaker is still planning several other vehicles based on the same platform before the PPE becomes available.

Electrek’s Take

We often hear complaints about Tesla not yet delivering on the base $35,000 version of the Model 3, which I think is fair, but we still need to acknowledge that Tesla is the only automaker currently mass producing a compelling long-range EV and doing it profitably.

I think that’s what is impressing Audi and Porsche here and what they wish to emulate with the PPE platform.

A decade from now, I think we will not only look back at Model 3 for how the vehicle program accelerated EV adoption through volume but also for the impact it had on other automakers.

The fact that they were apparently 3,000 euros behind for a platform coming in another 2 years just shows how Tesla is far ahead.

As for the e-tron program, the report is worrying. I’ve been cutting Audi some slack over the delays for the e-tron SUV, but I’d like to see some volume soon.

We hear that the launch in the US is still planned for Q2 2019.

I had better start thinking about upgrading that slightly dodgy plug in my garage sooner rather than later.

“Regardless, it seems Australians can at least still count on a mid-2019 arrival date for the Tesla Model 3 – speaking with Australian sales staff this morning, The Driven was told that the RHD Model 3 configurator will be available in “the next few months” and vehicles would arrive “soon after”.”

Edited by Briz Vegas

@Briz Vegas not to sound pithy but could be two years late and be still worth the wait and ahead of its time. Assuming it meets quality expectations you're going to love your new car.

Probably a good time to get that reticulation sorted at your place then :)

• 1 month later...
On 27/03/2019 at 10:27 PM, Briz Vegas said:

.....hint.  The driver is not sitting on the left.

US test drive of RHD? Must say I'm not a fan of the aero wheel caps, though fortunately they can be removed.

BTW, have you decided to get one or are you awaiting further information on the Kona?

• 1 month later...

Just been looking at a UK review of the Kona EV.  In the UK there is about £3.5k pounds, or the UK government grant, between them.  On that basis you would pay about $69,999 for a standard 50kWh Model 3 in Australia vs a 64kWh Kona highlander at $65,000.

Both are flippin’ expensive, so you buy the car you want to drive because it has to be at least partially a car brain ( emotional) decision.  If I was just being a greenie I would buy a sub $30k import Nissan Leaf 30kWh.

On this occasion I find myself in a position where I could stretch to a long range Model 3. It’s a stretch because it would be a one off.  The only reason for a long range is peace of mind and those  random unexpected trips to Coonabarabran, or wanting to avoid a 40km (18km plus return) side trip to supercharger on the Sunshine Coast if I overdo the side trips while visiting relatives.

The standard range will be lighter and less fast so probably easier on tyres, suspension, insurance,  and just closer to what I like about my current car.  So why do I still  partly want the long range?...hmmm.  

PS yes the long range has a better hifi, but it’s reportedly just fine on the standard and it’s still gonna be rubbish compared to the home system so it’s neither here nor there on that count.

Edited by Briz Vegas

Correction.  A standard range Model 3 will get me from Brisbane to Coonabarabran via Tamworth.  

In a long range I could return to Tamworth without a charge.  With the standard range I would need to trickle charge at my accommodation over night before I could return to the Tamworth Supercharger on the way home.

Coonabarabran needs EV charging infrastructure please so that tourists can visit the national park and other local attractions.......actually with overnight charging you could visit the Warrumbungles.....you just need another overnight charge before leaving. Maybe these Coonabarabranites are smart cookies.

• 7 months later...
On 12/05/2019 at 10:25 AM, Briz Vegas said:

Correction.  A standard range Model 3 will get me from Brisbane to Coonabarabran via Tamworth.  

In a long range I could return to Tamworth without a charge.  With the standard range I would need to trickle charge at my accommodation over night before I could return to the Tamworth Supercharger on the way home.

Coonabarabran needs EV charging infrastructure please so that tourists can visit the national park and other local attractions.......actually with overnight charging you could visit the Warrumbungles.....you just need another overnight charge before leaving. Maybe these Coonabarabranites are smart cookies.

What did you get in the end Bris Vegas ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/01/2020 at 4:14 PM, norpus said:

What did you get in the end Bris Vegas ?

Performance minus, being the performance spec without the 19s, bigger Brembo brakes (I understand all Tesla’s have Brembo brand brakes) and with standard ride height.  Think of it as a GT version of the performance  This spec is no longer available and was replaced by the long range which is just very very quick instead of stupid quick. I thought. I would dump the wheel covers but it seems that I like them more than I did in pictures.  This pic from a day trip out west ( between Dalby and Kingaroy) is a repost,  but I like it so here it is again.

21921532-7FE6-4768-80A8-8E94C4D470EA.jpeg

Edited by Briz Vegas
  • Like 2