Currently watching- Australian Movies & Series

This might be a quiet thread but I do love my Aussie flicks, love the haunting landscape that can sometimes be the starring character and the surreal feel that a lot of them seem to have, usually with no neat and tidy ending to tuck you in with cos life is rarely like that.

Watched and thoroughly enjoyed this one last night-

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2325977/

Think Picnic at Hanging Rock based at Broken Hill.

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 1

Good idea for a thread.

One that I caught up on a while back was the old classic, 'Wake In Fright'. I remember seeing it on TV a long time ago (in black and white), but it wasn't

available for many years, appeared to have been (almost) lost. Negatives of the film were found in America in 2009, and it was subsequently restored.

It was the last movie appearance of Chips Rafferty, incidentally.

I borrowed it from my local library, but I must get myself a blu-ray copy.

Good idea for a thread.

One that I caught up on a while back was the old classic, 'Wake In Fright'. I remember seeing it on TV a long time ago (in black and white), but it wasn't

available for many years, appeared to have been (almost) lost. Negatives of the film were found in America in 2009, and it was subsequently restored.

It was the last movie appearance of Chips Rafferty, incidentally.

I borrowed it from my local library, but I must get myself a blu-ray copy.

Has that been remade lately? Last night we looked through Netflix movies and 'Wake in fright' was there, then we looked through 'Australian Movies' on Bigpond and I think there was a modern version there.

Maybe it was the hotted up original?

Regardless, will check it out.

Edited by Darren69

Has that been remade lately? Last night we looked through Netflix movies and 'Wake in fright' was there, then we looked through 'Australian Movies' on Bigpond and I think there was a modern version there.

Maybe it was the hotted up original?

Regardless, will check it out.

I don't believe there has been a remake, but it has been restored from the original negatives. The movie was originally released in 1971, and the restoration was done in 2009.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_in_Fright

The copies on Netflix and Bigpond are almost certainly the restored version. 

• Like 1

Great thread Daz :thumb:

First that sprung to mind, Beautiful Kate, great film, bit of a Mendelsohn fan, and with a soundtrack by Tex Perkins..

The film soundtrack, composed by Australian music icon Tex Perkins and his Dark Horses band-mate Murray Paterson, is quite unlike what Tex fans will be familiar with. There is none of the bluesy grunt of the Beasts or the tongue-in-cheek irony of the Ladyboyz. Perkins’ and Paterson’s compositions are much more slow-burning and stripped-back. The vast landscape of the Australian outback provides the backdrop for the movie, and the pair’s musical vision – which weaves in the natural outback soundtrack with snippets of prose from the film – augments the haunting, isolated nature of its deserted setting. 

Running throughout the soundtrack, the Beautiful Kate theme is a wistful elegy to the story, and a testament to the notion that simplicity is beautiful: the recurrent song uses no more than a single acoustic guitar, highlighted on occasion by an ethereal voice and violin, to accentuate the story’s poignancy. Meanwhile the interspersed film dialogue (“We never got a chance to talk about last summer, did we?â€) and the mournful tones created in moments like Wilpena Pond or You’re Not Gonna Tell Him Are You often hint at some of the darker themes that recur throughout the story.

Oops not currently watching, but highly recommended.

Edited by likwidsh0k

I don't think it has to be 'currently watching'. It just keeps the emphasis on new Aussie stuff that might otherwise be missed in with all the other sewage.

Mendelsohn is good in 'Blood Lines', a yank series. He is brilliant in Animal Kingdom. The Jack Irish movies are also fantastic, have not seen the series.

Wacthed These Final Hours a few weeks back, was also very good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2268458/

Might add 'series' to the title as well. Glitch is excellent, as was Puberty Blues, a Beautiful Lie also well worth a look.

Edited by Darren69

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

I might suggest Proof, if you can find it. Death in Brunswick. The Last Wave. The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith. The Black Balloon. The Water Diviner. The Year of Living Dangerously. Sunday too Far Away. Malcolm. Balibo. Lantana. Jindabyne. Mad Max. Just to nme a few

Some nice soppy tv too. Dr Blake and Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.

Just to add to the others who like Rake :)

• Like 1

+1 for Animal Kingdom (it's nothing to do with playful critters, in case you're wondering...)

And Babadook, which has been mentioned elsewhere (do NOT watch this your kiddies... unless you want them to run away from home...)

Also, Last Train to Freo. Very gripping.

• Like 1

Classic Aussie films, well there were many ...

Walkabout - lost me

Storm Boy - love the South Australian Coast

Puberty Blues (movie) - the girls who wrote the original novel were close friends of my primary school teacher. Brings back memories.

Dead Clam - Nicole Kidman's first hit movie and before she became Mrs Cruise.

Young Einstein - Underrated wacky humour.

Muriel's Wedding - I didn't care for the story, but the backdrop is quintessential Australian. 

Charlotte's Web - I liked this more than Babe.

Predestination - Amazingly clever.

Mad Max 2 - The best.

+1 for Animal Kingdom (it's nothing to do with playful critters, in case you're wondering...)

And Babadook, which has been mentioned elsewhere (do NOT watch this your kiddies... unless you want them to run away from home...)

Also, Last Train to Freo. Very gripping.

Loved AK but have not seen these others you speak of, shall give them a go.

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 months later...