Sign in to follow this  
Marc

PS Audio DirectStream Junior

Was just looking at the Marantz SACD in the classifieds and then this thread jumps up. :)

Warning re SACD, Daz.  Your system is very like mine and is digital most of the way except the very backend.

No SACD player will let you output PCM over S/PDIF to an external DAC or to your DEQX.  It's a SACD licensing requirement to stop you copying/pirating stuff.

If you wanna play SACD it has to be analogue output from the player into the DEQX.  The alternative is to play the Redbook 16/44.1 layer (if there is one) which in my limited experience is awful; not even the same mastering.  

This may or may not be how you imagined it would work.

@@aechmea you are the best my furry mate! I did not know any of that at all!

Strange that the Marantz had a digital out. Anyhow, don't wanna derail the thread.

@@HKLM aahh, I think I remember now, you aren't the artist formerly known as.....

...or am I thinking of someone else? Where you selling for your bro?

I still couldn't afford $6k now, to tell the truth so I think I will be waiting for a few years yet, if I do it at all.

No SACD player will let you output PCM over S/PDIF to an external DAC or to your DEQX.  It's a SACD licensing requirement to stop you copying/pirating stuff.

SACD playback on PWT2 will output DSD via I2S to the DS/DSJ at full resolution. It's been licensed by Sony to do this.

Look what I have....

P1000363_zpsje358vq3.jpg

I suspect I'm the first owner with one physically installed at home.

It's hooked up and running, and out of the box it sounds good. I also owned DirectStream (with an earlier software) and it didn't really excite me that much when new, although it improved considerably over 400 hours. The Junior definitely sounds better out of the box than my previous experience, caveat different speakers and software. If I recall, Ted Smith over on the PS Audio forums said DS Junior requires less break-in due to having opamp output design instead of transformer based. 

I like the slim profile chassis and display. I'm using DS Junior as a DAC/pre-amp, whereas with the DS I used it as a DAC only. DS Junior is connected directly to the unbalanced voltage input of the power amps, using coax input connected to the source player. Vol = 100 gives me a comfortable listening level (attenuator is OUT on DS Junior).

DS Junior has a network bridge (Mk2) built in, I've connected it to the network and it's got an address from the router. I can't open any internal webpages on the DS Junior, and this is fundamentally different to bridge Mk1. DS with bridge never found favour with me, and I don't intend exploring the network playback capability of DS Junior at this stage. I'm just going to keep it simple in a configuration that is simple and works.

My reference DAC is an Ayon Sigma. But in all honesty 90% of the time I don't use an external DAC, my source player connected direct to the pre-amp sounds good enough to me. I only bought the Directstream and DS Junior because I like the PS Audio brand, and I like being an earlier adopter for new products. I've been sounded out about beta-testing a new PS Audio product, and owning the DS Junior is part of that process.

For the time being I'll just leave the DS Junior running with a source connected to get it broken in before jumping to any meaningful conclusions as to its pedigree. But, as I mentioned, out of the box it sounds OK.

Slight error in that Roon announcement. The Bridge II is a modular option only for Directstream, it is not a modular option for Directstream Junior. DS Junior has Bridge 2 hardwired in, there are no modular slots for future bridge hardware upgrades.

@@HKLM will be very interesting to hear your thoughts on this one, as a former DSD owner.

Can I ask why you sold the DSD? Just wanted to try something different?

The answer can be 'none of your beeswax Darren' if applicable. :)

I sold the Directstream because it sounded very equivalent to my source player analog output connected directly to the pre-amp. The Directstream was an OK piece, but here it was competing against a source player about twice its cost. On a performance basis it didn't bring anything to the party for me so I couldn't justify keeping it.

I kept the Ayon DAC because it sounds better than Directstream (again please note when I sold my DS it was prior to the current software release).

Edited by HKLM

Which Ayon do you run (assuming that's the source you are referring to)?

Is it also a CDP?

Ayon Sigma which is the entry level Ayon DAC. I'm to understand the higher-end Ayon Stealth and Stratos DAC have the same digital guts as the Sigma, but better pre-amp sections. In my application, because I already have a very high-end pre-amp, the Ayon Sigma was the logical choice.

Sigma, Stealth and Stratos are all DAC/pre only. But Ayon do build a CDP.

Internal view of the DS Junior. All the bits and pieces installed on a single board (which is a different design concept to the DS).

P1000368_zpswtncg7m4.jpg

Internal view of the DS Junior. All the bits and pieces installed on a single board (which is a different design concept to the DS).

P1000368_zpswtncg7m4.jpg

Interesting, alot of empty space in there...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I have met some people like that....

It has the same display controller and stepper motor volume control as the new PerfectWave pre-amp will have. I guess, all part of the overall Perfect Wave system design using as many common parts between them as possible.

Yes, despite there being a lot more empty space in that chassis compared to DS it operates slightly warmer than DS. I'm surprised the volume control knob doesn't rotate in sync with volume up/down commands from the remote control; after all it is a stepper motor, and that's what stepper motors normally do. No big deal.

Reckon they could've squeeze the ds jnr into a nuwave box, by the looks of it.

Reckon they could've squeeze the ds jnr into a nuwave box, by the looks of it.

Yes, I was wondering if it is a pre-amped up Nuwave with a few updates/mods perhaps.

Also it keeps it in the same dimension boxes as the DSD/PWT stuff one assumes.

Has anybody else bought one of these?

Perhaps they are proving to be a difficult sale for the dealers?

For me, pricing is close enough to the DSD to warrant saving a bit extra.

Or wait for a 2nd hand DSD here if funds permit.

Edited by Darren69

I picked up mine from Mike @ Magenta today.

Just like the nuwave dac, I had some trouble getting the DSJ working over usb from my htpc.  Eventually I found the settings I needed by reading through   http://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-to-run-a-bit-perfect-test-with-directstream/   

and

http://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-to-setup-jriver-19-for-dsd-playback/

Had me swearing blue for a while before I got the DSJ working over the curious cable.  Sounds good, seems to reveal treble in my system on the first days play.

In a day or two I'll set up the network as I need another ethernet cable.

And along the way I'll swap in the balanced interconnects to the HK990 to discover if I can hear a difference between unbalanced and balanced.

Cool. Finally somebody else admitting to be a DSJ owner!

Your observation reflects what I posted elsewhere. Out of the box the DSJ sounds OK, and you'll find it doesn't need much time to break-in. Nowhere near as much as DS. And this is consistent with what Ted Smith has said.

I've never tinkered with USB audio, up until now. I liked what I heard with the DSJ with some JJJ featured music that I was streaming off the net. I went and bought the CD, which I often do when I hear stuff on the radio that I like. Now, after this DSJ USB experience, I don't think I'll be buying many more CD. The stuff I'm listening to on the internet is CD quality, or better.

My dsj has been playing all night... lol and I've been up half the night listening, its got a delicate sound to it, quite pleasant listening I reckon.

Today the DSJ passed one high quality test - my lovely wife started watching abc iview and the dsj simply worked without a fuss.

Good good, an invisible unit is good.

2 hours ago, Darren69 said:

How are these things going now with a few hours on them?

You don't want one, now behave & be quiet!