Repairer/Replacer of cone surrounds in Tassie?

Hey all, (I put this in this part of the forum, as I figured it would most it)

Walking through the tipshop today I found a set of Marantz LS 260 for $44.

They seem in pretty decent cosmetic condition, but the the surrounds on the drivers arn't in a decent condition, they are brittle and a couple of chunks had broken away.

Now, I wouldn't be all that comfortable doing this by myself, and would rather take them to someone who knows what they are doing and has done it before.

Does anyone know anyone in Tassie that does this sort of work? And what price would I be looking at? (They looked like 8" drivers I think, if that matters)

Also, I havn't picked them up yet, will most likely pick them up today, unless I find some information saying they are crap or something.

I do realize they are not an 'up there' model of marants aswell, but am hoping they will sound better than my current B&W V201 speakers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

A resurround could cost $60-100+/driver. Generic surrounds are $20/pair on sleazebay and it doesn't look hard but I've never done it an won't.

I'd be sure the speakers are worth it it you before paying and collecting.

Dunno anyone who can do it in Tas, but there are plenty across Bass and they could be posted over.

• 11 years later...

Hi

i have a set of Marantz LS260’s, which I purchased new in the early 90’s. I have just dug these up from my shed and they need to be reformed. How did you go with the speaker reframing?

After 11 years, the OP's speakers might be due for another refoam at this point! 😉

FWIW I'm having a go at this myself on some Dalis. I bought surrounds online (about $25/pair) and it's a little tedious but seems to be working OK. I'll see how this goes before I'd commit to do speakers that were more precious to me! There are heaps of videos on YouTube showing the basic process, like this one on B&Os.

In Melbourne, I can't suggest anybody from experience. A place called Speakerbits used to be recommended a lot, but I think they've gone out of business? The website's disappeared.

One name that's recommended by others is a guy called Attila Tanka. Details from another recent thread:

On 11/10/2020 at 10:54 AM, Kappa 9.2i said:

I am currently having my Polydomes rebuilt by a guy in Melbourne. Attila Tanka 0425 776 941. Not original poly material, but apparently imperial sound over standard. Should receive next week, I’ll update! 

On 12/11/2008 at 1:05 AM, Sh1mmy said:

Does anyone know anyone in Tassie that does this sort of work? And what price would I be looking at? (They looked like 8" drivers I think, if that matters)

Arthur Francis Audio Speakers in Lindisfarne, TAS,

AKA @afa here on SNA

• Like 1

Thank you gentlemen.  I would be interested in how you go with Attila, I will also try and locate Speaker Bits. 

I have no issue in doing it myself, however I don't want these speakers to be my first attempt, as I feel I will not get the glue quantity spot on and it will look unprofessional.