Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

JVC Redux, JVC's DLA-X7000 4K E-shift projector - an end user perspective

Hey Kazz, I found your settings work when changing "activities" but don't work for me on start up if the projector was a different HDMI input before hand... and the remotes takes for ever to be ready... not that it's a huge issue till the projector is up to speed but I also control my new WiFi lights by the remote and have to wait till all signals are sent before being able to control them.

Think I might send a email to Logitech about it. Surely others must have the same issue.

That's really strange because I've got it working on start up as well.   :unsure:  :wacko:

It does take forever though, I still need to see if I can whittle that time down a little. :rolleyes:

I'll be interested to hear what Logitech say though.

dont know, havent explored enough to comment, yes forums can be quite confusing places....took me ages to decipher the HDR setup procedure myself for instance ...but then realised on doing just how simple it actually is ! 

thats why I downloaded the jvc autocal guide, so can look over when have the time, appears to be a 6 step process :)

1. 1  Install the software on your PC (P. 3)

2. 2  Connect the main unit and your PC via LAN cable

3. 3  Projector and PC Setup (P. 4)

4. 4  Start up the software (P. 7)

5. 5  Connect the optical sensor

6. 6  Calibration (P. 8) 

am hoping just a case of following their steps ... one by one...

and from what I understand reasonably simple and capable of VERY good result. for cost of the sensor hundred and something dollars its really a no brainer. I see as got nothing to loose really. 

anyways .... time will tell :D

I'll be interested to see how you go and how hard/easy it is as I've been thinking of doing the same when I get more hours up.

I don't want to butt in, however I have a JVC X9000 and Samsung UBD-K8500. Has anyone tried the Samsung with the JVC on 4K material? Initially I tried everything I could think of including a new HDMI cable and couldn't get the JVC to display 4K from the Samsung. The Samsung and the 9000 don't talk to each other but it is more that the 9000 isn't open to the discussion. I have loaded the latest software update for the Samsung. I see that JVC now have an update available that allows the Samsung to recognise it but so far I haven't been game to try it. Has anyone managed to display 4K using the Samsung with a JVC? The JVC is an incredibly good projector even on 2K.

@betty boop @Kazz and I are all watching 4K UHD Bluray on the JVC's via the new Samsung. I think we all have the 7000 too.

Betty Boop was nice enough to come to my place and run the update on the JVC as I don't have a Windows computer... Or the required cable types. I was able to watch prior to the update though, the update is to give the 2020 color profile for HDR content.

12 minutes ago, daviddsailor said:

I don't want to butt in, however I have a JVC X9000 and Samsung UBD-K8500. Has anyone tried the Samsung with the JVC on 4K material? Initially I tried everything I could think of including a new HDMI cable and couldn't get the JVC to display 4K from the Samsung. The Samsung and the 9000 don't talk to each other but it is more that the 9000 isn't open to the discussion. I have loaded the latest software update for the Samsung. I see that JVC now have an update available that allows the Samsung to recognise it but so far I haven't been game to try it. Has anyone managed to display 4K using the Samsung with a JVC? The JVC is an incredibly good projector even on 2K.

@daviddsailor absolutely ! have watched coming upto about 20 UHD blu-rays with the sammy and jvc x7000 combination,

can see from about here in this thread, and will see applied the necessary update from jvc, which will be pleased to know theyprovide not just an update but very specific instruction to getting working very well together I would say, do follow the thread as really for my benefit I posted steps and whats needed, links to info etc :) 

and yes a few hoops to pass through for sure wiht the sammy player as well for them to talk.

no 1 in my opinion is cable, I was pulling hair out (what little have of that left ! for a short while till got that sorted !  )

with the higher bandwidth signal older cables can be pretty hit and miss, my older generic 10m was really no go at all. swapping to the local kordz prs has been completely fault free with my equipment combination of jvc, marantz 8802a and the sammy uhd player

I would try a test of bringing the player to the projector and using a shorter HDMI cable to get a picture.

The first 10m HDMI cable I bought was a bit flaky at times, the 7.5m Kordz cable I have now is more reliable, but triple the price at near $200, can't remember the model but it's the only cable Kordz are recommending locally.

1 minute ago, blybo said:

I would try a test of bringing the player to the projector and using a shorter HDMI cable to get a picture.

The first 10m HDMI cable I bought was a bit flaky at times, the 7.5m Kordz cable I have now is more reliable, but triple the price at near $200, can't remember the model but it's the only cable Kordz are recommending locally.

thats very good advice, one of the first things I did as well with a shorter kordz I had to start with I think was a 4m or something and worked no dramas with the player literally feeding straight into the projector with the short length. most cable issues tend to be from 6-7m and longer. after which the kordz prs active cable seems to be the thing. no idea on lengths longer than 10m for uhd  though as not something have explored. 

Talking about HDMI woes, in my projector set-up I occasionally lose the HDMI signal from my laptop to receiver - no picture, no sound just a message on screen that says HDMI-1 No Signal ...anyone know what is going on other than it is the unreliability of the HDMI interface?

Turning the laptop off-on several times and re-plugging the HDMI lead a few times fixes it, but is very frustrating when it does happen.

Steve.

1 minute ago, Steve M said:

Talking about HDMI woes, in my projector set-up I occasionally lose the HDMI signal from my laptop to receiver - no picture, no sound just a message on screen that says HDMI-1 No Signal ...anyone know what is going on other than it is the unreliability of the HDMI interface?

Turning the laptop off-on several times and re-plugging the HDMI lead a few times fixes it, but is very frustrating when it does happen.

Steve.

I had this when using the 10m active HDMI cable I originally bought for my SAmsung when using it to mirror my laptop on the projector. I bought a cheap generic 5m cable and all was fine. It only drops out if the HDMI cable isn't inserted the whole way, would be nice if they locked wouldn't it... 

I guess the advice is always use the shortest HDMI cable you can get away with.

30 minutes ago, Steve M said:

Steve.

unfortunately too many variables to comment. it could be cable, it could be settings, it could be the interfacing equipment. people have had gear where hdmi boards start playing up. cables that fail. cables that dont support all settings and media type. as long as not for uhd and some other demanding application I would just try another cable a short one and see if rectifies the issue. try narrow down what is causing it. hdmi is a bit of a mine field through we even have a hdmi sucks thread in the av section ! :D 

26 minutes ago, blybo said:

I had this when using the 10m active HDMI cable I originally bought for my SAmsung when using it to mirror my laptop on the projector. I bought a cheap generic 5m cable and all was fine. It only drops out if the HDMI cable isn't inserted the whole way, would be nice if they locked wouldn't it... 

I guess the advice is always use the shortest HDMI cable you can get away with.

its one thing will find with the kordz prs its a very definite interference fit of the hdmi plug in socket ...guranteed wont fall out ! kordz did a talk at a gtg i once attended at cleff where they said many makers dont make the plugs to spec...ie undersize for material savings, platings etc... to save bucks over the massive volumes they make. kordz makes to the spec... and  hence they done fall out ! :)

When I couldn't get the Samsung/JVC combo to work I purchased a Wireworld Chroma 7 HDMI cable which is supposed to be good to 23Gbps so there should be no issues there excepting that it has/may have an active bit in it as it is directional. I presume that being directional this won't interfere with the units talking to each other or whatever they have to do. From what JVC told me (over the phone) if I run the update it should fix the problem. I'm going to have to take some brave pills to get the courage to do the update.

@daviddsailor  I have no idea about the wire world hdmi sorry, to really say one way or the other. not heard of anyone using it. the no 1 thing I'd ask is its length. also dont assume it works. its a real mine field cables and when I say that really mean it. not kidding you there are all sorts of cables out there claiming all sorts of things. even ones that claim to support 18gbps and it turns out they dont. infact the VAST majority dont ! at anything approaching long lengths e.g. 10m. 

as per blybo...as he suggest and as mentioned the first thing I did myself when found my generic cable wouldn't  work was try a shorter cable. you want to try something really long enough to feed off the samsung direct to the jvc. mine was 3-4m long that I tried and found worked. ofcourse I needed a 10m cable and hence turned to kordz for help and fortunately they had something that worked.

the kordz is active and yes need to be used the right way around. e.g. wiht the kordz the monitor/display end does need to be at the jvc. also not all active cables work. e.g. the mono price cabernet is a good example where its supposed to work but most have read have found it doesnt.

regarding the update.... as blybo mentioned as well. you should be able to get working without it. jvc even give settings etc to use without it. as pointed to in earlier in this thread where have links to their info etc. but if can definitely do the update what it will give you is the correct colour space needed for uhd. if worried doing yourself get in touch wiht jvc as they have service centres can drop into that should be able to do for you. they do ship all new units now days wiht the update already loaded :)

10 minutes ago, AudioGeek said:

@:) al  

Al, what bracket did you use to mount your projector on the back wall?

AG, I use the Peerless PRG-EXA which is a universal mount bracket that allows mounting off ceiling or wall. and utilises the precision gear mount. the gear mount is a superb bit of engineering and with 3 axis of adjustment and 2 axis with precision can literally dial into perfection to line up projector to screen and then lock in place.

for something like a serious projector like a JVC I would not recommend any thing else period. there is a lot of rubbish sold especially in this market that would be absolutely hopeless in mounting projectors like this or any of the other bigger projectors like JVCs and large epsons.

I bought mine from B&H photo, though unfortunately they no longer appear to sell it. pity as they were very affordably priced and with very speedy delivery, we're talking 4-5 days max ! 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/593184-REG/Peerless_Industries_PRG_EXA_PRG_EXA_Adjustable_Projector_Ceiling_Wall.html

appears to be still on the peerless site, though not sure they ship to au

https://www.peerless-av.com/en-us/professional/products/prg-exa

there is this reseller here, but no idea never dealt with them, they do have in stock and price not too bad ! 

http://zoxoro.com.au/Products/Peerless-PRG-Series-PRG-EXA-W-8-7-Inch-to-12-8-Inch-Adjustable-Projector-Ceiling-Wall-Mount-Kit-Black.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwsO6-BRDRy8bsxfiV2bkBEiQAF8EzKMlgjp2lErGWEQoUVM6EeBJugabusiru8Zc3-WaCXI8aAg3q8P8HAQ

ps if just ceiling mounting, many utilise the bare precision gear mount to fix direct to the ceiling for a flush mount

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/525470-REG/Peerless_Industries_PRG_UNV_PRG_UNV_Precision_Gear_Projector.html

please keep in mind with these mounts you will need to get 4 screws from bunnings same metric thread and length as what have on the jvc screw on feet so can fix the projector to the mount

also keep in mind how heavy these projectors are … so need to affix the mount to something structural on the wall or ceiling. the mounts come with all instructions and materials required for this. though if don't have an upright beam to bolt upto behind the wall or joists in the ceiling to attach to then might need to put a 25mm thick piece of wood or something to attach to behind the plaster.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Put up some wood when i mounted the rear speakers.

Should work for the mounting bracket.

20160916_202341.jpg

7 minutes ago, AudioGeek said:

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Put up some wood when i mounted the rear speakers.

Should work for the mounting bracket.

20160916_202341.jpg

good stuff ! 

ps looks like amazon does sell still as well, maybe worth exploring as an option to see what comes out to with shipping etc

https://www.amazon.com/Peerless-PRG-EXA-W-12-8-Inch-Adjustable-Projector/dp/B001GENEWK

Trying to run my first autocalc on the X7000.

All goes well with the measurements (33 steps/'Quality' setting used).

However the program shuts down each time at the 'data' stage when it has reached 94% with a message indicating that Windows has detected a problem with the program and is closing the program.

Has anyone experienced this problem and resolved it?

4 hours ago, lucmor444 said:

Trying to run my first autocalc on the X7000.

All goes well with the measurements (33 steps/'Quality' setting used).

However the program shuts down each time at the 'data' stage when it has reached 94% with a message indicating that Windows has detected a problem with the program and is closing the program.

Has anyone experienced this problem and resolved it?

sorry lucmor been too time poor myself to give it a go…. have the spyder meter, I just need to do some reading research to get myself upto speed with.

good to know something having a bash at though. manni on avs has a great thread on it, probably best place to check…hopefully something can resolve to get going again :)

Whats a used X7000 in excellent condition with reciept and warranty with 300 hours on the clock worth? Thinking of selling and going to a pj with better input lag so i dont need two pjs (one for gaming, one for movies)

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

who knows …. you'll take a bit of a hit being so new...

why clock up hours for gaming on a gorgeous projector like this, a cheap benq or like probably be cheaper option for gaming, and keep the hours and lamp on the x7000 for the gorgeous movie renditions...

who knows …. you'll take a bit of a hit being so new...

why clock up hours for gaming on a gorgeous projector like this, a cheap benq or like probably be cheaper option for gaming, and keep the hours and lamp on the x7000 for the gorgeous movie renditions...

I hear ya! I was going to buy a second hand benq but the throw distances between the two projectors are up the crud. The x7000 sits nicely at the back of the room where as a benq w1070 or equivalent would need to be mounted closer. Argggh!

I love the JVC x7000. Id hate to sell it because i love what it does!

4 minutes ago, Hatlesschimp said:

I hear ya! I was going to buy a second hand benq but the throw distances between the two projectors are up the crud. The x7000 sits nicely at the back of the room where as a benq w1070 or equivalent would need to be mounted closer. Argggh!

I love the JVC x7000. Id hate to sell it because i love what it does!

some people just grab a benq and pop on a coffee table in front when needed something like their cheapies are pretty compact. and can run off a hdmi off front port on a av receiver/processor. thats really what the benq are designed off. otherwise your looking to have a separate ceiling mount for one. they are wireless hdmi so as long as get power to them they work fine in that sort of setup.

I think im going to list it. Omg im going to regret this i know it!

3 hours ago, :) al said:

sorry lucmor been too time poor myself to give it a go…. have the spyder meter, I just need to do some reading research to get myself upto speed with.

good to know something having a bash at though. manni on avs has a great thread on it, probably best place to check…hopefully something can resolve to get going again :)

Well at the moment it has been very frustrating - I thought I had worked it out by rebooting both the pj and laptop and it worked once but the results were really really off so I tried to run it again.  A couple of hours later and half a dozen or so attempts and no luck.  I really think my gamma is way way off and I will run Chromapure on it now in the next week or two (I had wanted to get it OK first with autocalc before tweaking with CP).  I am done with it at the moment and with the first set of results that I didn't save I am thinking my pj may also be playing up with its gamma (its only done a 100 hours).

14 minutes ago, lucmor444 said:

Well at the moment it has been very frustrating - I thought I had worked it out by rebooting both the pj and laptop and it worked once but the results were really really off so I tried to run it again.  A couple of hours later and half a dozen or so attempts and no luck.  I really think my gamma is way way off and I will run Chromapure on it now in the next week or two (I had wanted to get it OK first with autocalc before tweaking with CP).  I am done with it at the moment and with the first set of results that I didn't save I am thinking my pj may also be playing up with its gamma (its only done a 100 hours).

maybe not settled down as yet, I have seen some suggest not calibrating till 250-300 hours ? definitely post in that auto cal thread over on avs if can, one thing I like about it is so many have gone before with good results. look forward to reading where get with things :)