Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

JVC Redux, JVC's DLA-X7000 4K E-shift projector - an end user perspective

@@betty boop

Its a a kids film ( but its fun ) ,  if you really want to see a VERY good pic on the JVC , do yourself a favour and have a look at Tomorrowland..    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1964418/

Colour and definition are startling,  very very clean film..

:thumb:

@@wooferocau thanks for the suggestion. have enjoyed many a kids movie as happens with the kids, just in recent times the despicable series, finding nemo and even paddington. they are an absolute treat they seem to be picture and audio wise too ! any of the disney movies actually they do a wonderfull job with them. actually just thinking back there have been some treats in recent time in deed frozen...brave....just coming to mind so no problem with the kids movies both wife and I enjoy them just as much hehe

but hey never knew about tomorrow land....kids always keen to watch a movie and this does sound like a good one to check out. so will do for sure, thanks for the heads up :)

I'm mostly on AVS talking about projectors but just signed up here. I had an X9000 that I got to try out back in Feb, which I took down my 1100 for - off the back of quite a few members on AVS buying RS500/600's. I pretty quickly, once I'd spent a few days with it and tweaking it, became very impressed with it. Only flaw being my sample did suffer from bright corners - not annoying with actual content. It had been going really well up until the day after I landed my K8500 UHD on the Thurs before the Easter weekend. Then on Good Friday the updated firmware was released which I was eager to get sorted along with the Rec.2020 profile. Unfortunately, I had the firmware update flake out on me, leaving the unit bricked for the remainder. I was pretty miffed to say the least so I ended up sending it off. In the meantime I re-hung the 1100, but def wasn't enjoying things the way I had been - even to the point of not wanting to open quite unviewed UHD discs. I had also been speaking to my contacts a Sony Pro about the 5000 demos coming up and I knew there was even a chance some I could stump up the massive $$ for one if I could 'liberate' the funds put down on what I now refer to as a 'brain explosion' idea of purchasing the ATMOS upgrade to my Steinway system I'd put into a unit I own. But that's all completely bogged down and going to be a huge hassle. So long story short, at the end of last week I source an X7000 that's actually proving so far to be a better unit than than the X9000 and I'm back to enjoying all the benefits of its capabilities. I've tweaked the Samsung's contrast and used JVC's rec UHD settings and the results, much like Cine4home.de reported a few weeks back, are pretty damn impressive. Still going to view the 5000 on the roadshow next week and hoping to not get too excited about it at this stage :cool: .

Good to hear the x7000 is hitting the spot. And it really is the sweet spot on the jvcs I think. I've never believed about this hand picked business for their top model, and having read from others who have found the same as you not surprised if your x7000 you got is actually better in ways than the x9000 it replaced.

Wow a Sony 5000, at 10x the cost of the top line jvc you'd hope to not get too interested unless wanting a correspondingly big dent to the wallet :D

Great to hear on your atmos upgrade, I've recently really enjoyed gains from that myself too, watching mission impossible, Star Wars and heart of the sea last weekend on my system, can read my thought here,

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/59834-where-the-divas-sing/?p=1600375

Have to be honest so stoked audio with 3D audio and visual wise with the jvc enjoying things, haven't even been wondering about the uhd side too much to the point if gains there great, but feel in a pretty good place even at present :)

ok put in a pre order for the sammy ultra high depression blu-ray player :D lets see where that goes. the local price too damn good to not dip toe in the water :)

ordered one of these 

and also one of these as both needed to update firmware of jvc which is recommend to get best from uhd,

also put an order in for 

147639_front.jpg

a good movie havent seen as yet and been getting a bit of chatter on the quality of the rendition of it, so should be worth checking out I'd say.

looking at the technical specs for it on imdb

looking at the camera gear used ! 
Arri Alexa 65, Hasselblad Prime 65 Lenses
Arri Alexa XT M, Panavision Primo, C-Series, Leica Summilux-C and Zeiss Master Prime Lenses
Arri Alexa XT, Panavision Primo, C-Series, Leica Summilux-C and Zeiss Master Prime Lenses
Red Epic Dragon, Angenieux Optimo Lenses

and cinematographic process
ARRIRAW (3.4K) (6.5K) (source format) 
Digital Intermediate (4K) (master format) 
Panavision (anamorphic) (source format) (some scenes) 
Redcode RAW (6K) (source format) (some scenes)

​they really havent held back much either !

@@betty boop was this a bit of :hiccup :hiccup :hiccup ordering late last night? Quite a back flip on the Sammy.

If all goes well I'll jump on your bandwagon... If could also borrow that cable and a windose laptop for the JVC firmware upgrade that would be excellent.

I'm really hanging out for the Revenant, I'm sure would be a superb UltraHD premiere in the Betty household!

Edited by blybo

@@betty boop was this a bit of :hiccup :hiccup :hiccup ordering late last night? Quite a back flip on the Sammy.

If all goes well I'll jump on your bandwagon... If could also borrow that cable and a windose laptop for the JVC firmware upgrade that would be excellent.

I'm really hanging out for the Revenant, I'm sure would be a superb UltraHD premiere in the Betty household!

:lol: probably was ! yeah a few changing factors...that came it $500 even cheaper than in the us. that the panna player appears to have some issues and not likely here for ages. no options to import in from the uk and likely if did costing well over 2x the samsung....additionally the guys confirming that things are happy between sammy and jvc with their respective updates.

all that said I'm preparing myself that the sammy is a POS as a player ! hehe an unmitigated pos the kinds of which have never graced my system ever ! :D

I am full ware too and prepared as well this is not going to be a plug and play situation.... i.e. I know it will simply not just work as expected at first disc put in and multitude of things have to do to get to work. i.e. cables may not work... firmware updates. ... jvc colour space via their autocal facility and then tweaking for setup. its ok up for it...i'll likely learn a lot in the process and more about some aspects of jvc am unaware so all good :)

ok that out the way...bring it on hehe 

yes welcome to borrow cables and such. once run out of discs to watch could probably borrow the player too !

:lol: probably was ! yeah a few changing factors...that came it $500 even cheaper than in the us. that the panna player appears to have some issues and not likely here for ages. no options to import in from the uk and likely if did costing well over 2x the samsung....additionally the guys confirming that things are happy between sammy and jvc with their respective updates.

all that said I'm preparing myself that the sammy is a POS as a player ! hehe an unmitigated pos the kinds of which have never graced my system ever ! :D

I am full ware too and prepared as well this is not going to be a plug and play situation.... i.e. I know it will simply not just work as expected at first disc put in and multitude of things have to do to get to work. i.e. cables may not work... firmware updates. ... jvc colour space via their autocal facility and then tweaking for setup. its ok up for it...i'll likely learn a lot in the process and more about some aspects of jvc am unaware so all good :)

ok that out the way...bring it on hehe 

yes welcome to borrow cables and such. once run out of discs to watch could probably borrow the player too !

I got The Revenant a couple of days ago. It's not a new film for me so I haven't sat down to watch the full UHD disc yet. Have watched about 10 mins and was pretty impressed, noting it was shot on 6.5K and 3.5K then mastered to 4K, which certainly bodes well. So far it's a pretty gorgeous transfer. I may get to watch it  again in full tonight.

Also, for those also looking towards an imported Panny player, just to clarify it is possible to purchase directly from the UK. Firstly Amazon will sell you one and also PureTheatre (who have bad quote engine for shipping cost though) will also sell one direct. On top of the you can also go through European stores. There's a couple of EU price comparison engines  that you can use, check the AVS dedicated thread on the Pana for that info as I don't have it saved right here on the PC I'm using.

The Samsung isn't that much of a POS, really right now beggars can't be choosers, so it could be far worse.. It seems to be running quite well with the X7*** and X9*** series right now as at the current firmware. It's not going to look perfect out of the box though, so some patience in tweaking, particularly in the user picture settings can greatly assist the resulting picture, rather than rely on the JVC to do it, which can cause side effects like white clipping if you push the contrast even a little.

And just lastly, be extremely cautious with the JVC firmware update, you can easily brick your unit if you don't go by the book or try random USB-serial adapters - this happened to my X9000. You can read the X series thread on AV forums for more specifics. Def borrow Betty Boop's working cable if you want to do it or buy the Tripp-lite Keyspan one (bit of a pain to source locally).

Edited by OzHT

greatly enjoyed the Zodiac on blu-ray yesterday,

bit of a review here,

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Zodiac-Blu-ray/458/

and yeah its a 5 star video movie and came up an absolute treat on the jvc, gorgeous images and lovely details. great movie too very much in the line of clint eastwood dirty harry style and set in san fran and surrounds as well,

took some screen shots as a taste of lovely scenes that present the details etc,

26330853110_59eccd7c0d_b.jpg

25998695384_4580c5e21c_b.jpg

26577941616_b227400ac5_b.jpg

26511164782_4fb6d203ce_b.jpg

26330919000_022209e496_b.jpg

26000911393_0860cba49f_b.jpg

While mine is from a end users perspective, I also like to read reviews from the professional end of the spectrum, review below from the highly respected kris deering on the US version of our jvc x7000. A review long time coming as his professional reviews have to co incide witht the off the press in print editions :)

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/jvc-procision-dla-x750r-3d-d-ila-projector-review#VVv58oy0V5jjdvds.97

As a consequence written 4 months earlier and follow up will be there utilising uhd blu-ray content as with the same magazine dave Vaughans review of the Samsung player on the same projector.

Interesting to read just how significant a contrast improvement he is mentioning with the new light engine ... Between 50% better without using the dynamic iris (ie iris wide open) to as much as 3 times better (using the dynamic iris )improvement than previous model.

As he says the big changes are inside...

"The big changes this year are hidden inside the projector, and they’re numerous. The most obvious is a new light engine boasting nearly twice the brightness of the outgoing model. This is produced by a new 265-watt lamp with a claimed 4,500 hours of life and 1,800 lumens output. The last JVC generation delivered about 14 foot-lamberts on my screen in low lamp mode with the lens aperture fully open. This year’s model ups that to 30 ft-L in low lamp mode—and a staggering 39 ft-L in high lamp.

Typically, this type of brightness boost in a projector results in lower contrast numbers. But fortunately, that isn’t the case here. With the outgoing DLA-X700R, I measured about 25,000:1 in low lamp mode with the lens aperture fully open (dynamic aperture off). This would be at about mid-throw and represented the minimum native sequential (full-on/full-off) contrast of the model. With the DLA-X750R, I decided to test several conditions in respect to contrast. With the zoom at its shortest throw, the projector in low lamp mode, and the aperture fully open, I measured the contrast at 37,000:1, which is nearly 50 percent higher than before, and also at a significantly higher brightness. The max native contrast I measured (no dynamic iris) was achieved with the zoom at its longest throw and the manual aperture in its most closed position (–15), which delivered a contrast of just over 124,000:1."

"Engaging the dynamic aperture mode increased contrast performance significantly and pushed the measurements up against the limitations of my Minolta T-10 meter, in both the black floor and peak brightness measurements. The peak contrast I achieved was just over 500,000:1, but a single-digit difference with these measurements could move that number significantly in either direction. In my normal viewing conditions (projector calibrated to 14 ft-L, low lamp mode, aperture set at –10), I was getting a native contrast ratio of about 70,000:1, which is nearly three times as much as before. Engaging the dynamic iris pushed the contrast up into the realm of more than 400,000:1, though I bounced back and forth between having this feature enabled. This contrast improvement was achieved using a new wire grid polarizer that is exclusive to the top two models in this year’s lineup."

Validation enough for myself that not imagining the step up improvement over previous jvc, and this is without mentioning the step up in 3D or 4K UHD (WCG &HDR) capability this also brings :)

oooh got the cables finally for updating the jvc firmware(for uhd blu-ray)..... and the revenant came in as well ...will this be the first UHD I check out ?

26282622993_7f5e7429b2_b.jpg

gave the firmware update a go,

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/file/Update_Procedure_u83.2.pdf

got the windows 7 laptop hooked up via the tripp-lite adapter and null cable into the JVC.... following step by step the procedure reading off the macbook as no way want to brick the JVC ! :D

26282668713_ba26af3297_b.jpg

woohoo the very important 3 lights that the update is happening :)

26793673262_efe428ca0e_b.jpg

once done great to see the firmware updated to u83.2 :)

26793704772_4aa02c4117_b.jpg

Following JVCs instructions 

and specifically

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/file/JVC_CP_import_procedure_en_v1_00.pdf

loaded up the jvc autocal program tonight on the laptop...got the jvc talking over the network. downloaded the BT2020 colour profile needed for UHD and uploaded it successfully up into the JVC

26911183005_70b3bae78c_c.jpg

had a bit of a play after, setup a custom "UHD" preset with the BT2020 profile and with the suggested settings from JVC.

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-x950r_x750r_x550r_x9000_x7000_x5000_xc7890r_xc6890r_xc5890r_rs600_rs500_rs400_uhd.html

so here we are UHD blu-ray we are now ready and waiting .... :D

next up is Sicario on Blu-ray, the pace of the film and the realism it creates had me edge of seat and literally before knew it the movie was over. The JVC did a splendid job with depth, detail and realism. from bright daylight scenes to indoors and in the tunnels for instance. Took some quick screen shots below on a few scenes to capture how it looked.

24786160656_6433e0f7ed_h.jpg

24786172886_034a7a9158_h.jpg

24812454515_ac63cc13be_h.jpg

Amazing film and those images look superb... Very nice mate.

thankyou um great movie in deed

...I gave Sicario a spin in UHD Blu-ray for first time yesterday. only a brief viewing. there are some very interesting scenes... e.g. where they blast through the wall of the house at the start with the agents ...the intensity of their torches as pan past is blinding even if for a split second :D then theres the scene of her showing with the blood pouring down her face the richness of the red blood. similarly with richness of colours of life of pi which we ended up watching about half of it....never seen such intense.... deep blue/greens of the water. the vibrancy of the many colours of the birds and animals. there is a scene of old pondicherry which so real. same with the tabla that pi is playing in the classical indian dance scene. same with the krishnas universe we enter...never seen anything like it colour wise. an eye opener for sure.

I compared back to blu-ray which made more abundant. the thing with blu-ray it can look so bloody good to start wth on the jvc but I do think uhd does go further. its not a bang in your face kind of thing have to sit down take it in and becomes apparent :)

Could you take a screen shot of your picture setting would really appreciate it, Just want to see if there much difference vs my x70 Projector. Cheers

@@sacd87 can do. any specific screens ?

@@sacd87 can do. any specific screens ?

Thank you, Just the main picture setting and advance setting just want to see how much difference that are to mine. At the moment I got my settings on Cinema as that gives me much better colors.

Edited by sacd87

@@sacd87 I can presume you wanted this for UHD ? anyways posting below, 

these got to under the picture settings off the menu button,

26988635176_4f55be2c8d_c.jpg

26988645006_ea29ce843d_c.jpg

26416589004_f8660565a3_c.jpg[/url]

this screen below found hitting the advanced menu.... I think from memory can toggle this with another 4 menus behind...so quite a bit there. in this one for instance am playing with high vs low lamp and iris ht vs wide open :)

26953830091_fee2c6c0a3_c.jpg

not sure how this compares vs yours.

@@sacd87 I can presume you wanted this for UHD ? anyways posting below, 

these got to under the picture settings off the menu button,

26988635176_4f55be2c8d_c.jpg

26988645006_ea29ce843d_c.jpg

26416589004_f8660565a3_c.jpg[/url]

this screen below found hitting the advanced menu.... I think from memory can toggle this with another 4 menus behind...so quite a bit there. in this one for instance am playing with high vs low lamp and iris ht vs wide open :)

26953830091_fee2c6c0a3_c.jpg

not sure how this compares vs yours.

Thanks Al. My x70 doesn't have that color for UHD, but it's nice to see you can adjust the E-Shift in the settings. I also use 6500 color temp also.

Thanks Al. My x70 doesn't have that color for UHD, but it's nice to see you can adjust the E-Shift in the settings. I also use 6500 color temp also.

sacd UHD is USER preset thats setup with BT2020 color profile. 

I just checked we have 4 screens behind the advanced menu,

it has Picture mode(as pictured above), Color profile, Color Temp, Gamma, Blur reduction (which is pictured above)

I posted this in the sammy uhd thread but probably belongs here, first full uhd blu-ray movie I watched ....

I watched 5th wave on uhd today. I know a stinker in reviews but I like these post apocalyptic style movies. it has some great natural shots in the day, woods. but boy it has some very dark scenes.... and had me wondering re the setup I have. I'm only running the jvc as they have suggested i.e. 

Gamma setting  D
Picture Tone  +12
Dark Level  +5
Bright Level  +4
Lamp Power  High

however with a 92" screen I have the picture tone back to +11 again as jvc suggest. ps this tone setting makes an unbelievable amount of difference even one notch ! all my other settings on the jvc e.g. color, brightness, contrast, tint etc are all at zero.

still wondering about what settings in the samsung, I know have seen some mention of settings etc so did some asking around...

ps watching revenant again... I got to appreciate the bright shafts of light across the landscape in the battle scene at the start. I'm still bouncing between high and low lamp. with my relatively small screen I seem to have so much up the sleeve in output.

also watched a bit of martian at the start as well and got to appreciate that a bit more too... the brilliance and strident oranges of the uniform and the details around. the kind of things I think I missed first time around with a bit of a hurried look.

anyways found out the suggested settings for the sammy are +7 on contrast and +3 on brightness ..which has encouraged me to play...

and oh yes !!!!!

finally found where the contrast and brightness settings are on the sammy ... accessed via the little "tools" button while  disc is playing... of course thats where it would be wouldn't it :roll eyes:

I have had no success getting to the picture adjustments / test screens that are supposed to be on sony discs. I have salt uhd and tried the sony "7669" code on it ... nothing. perhaps doing something wrong but did enter the code and hit ok and nothing ...

but found if hitting tools button on the sammy and then going to picture settings if get out of the standard and into the user preset it lets you change parameters like contrast brightness etc. so any ways put in +7 for contrast and +3 for brightness as been suggested in picture setting 'user'  and goodness the difference that makes !  :D

went back to the martian... right from get go wow hard not to notice ! am loving what am seeing. especially the opening scenes on mars. this has got to be seen to appreciate I think. looks pretty stunning I must say. its things like the space ship the space suit... it all just looks SO real. and lots of very obvious details. it really has come to life .... UHD blu-ray.... I am IMPRESSED !  :)

ps I have run on both high and low lamp and this stage am not feeling the real need to run high lamp on my projector still but time may tell  :)

I did the comparison below on the jvc x7000 for someone trying the same with a sony and wondering....

this is with the samsung UHD-Blu-ray, I popped the Sicario uhd blu-ray(us release) in the sammy as with the Sicario blu-ray (oz release)  

I am using the JVC specified settings for UHD blu-ray including the JVC supplied BT2020 profile and latest firmware updates on both projector and player. For UHD blu-ray I am also running the suggest +7 contrast and +3 brightness setting in the samsung using a User picture mode I also cranked back to low lamp on the JVC to low lamp for this comparison so the impact of HDR isn't too much. for blu-ray I returned the player to Standard picture profile and made sure the player was only outputting as 1080p rather than using any upscaling in the player.

ps not my choice of image, movie or scene, just one he happens to be comparing,

i've put a spoiler against the identifier of which is which

Blu-ray

26416228873_c082767446_o.jpg

UHD Blu-ray

26986832416_4632a42eb7_o.jpg

camera used is full frame 5D3 DSLR using a sigma 50 1.4 Art lens, just quick hand held shots from main viewing position to best try replicate what am seeing. for exposure I did a spot meter on the black roof line top middle of the screen. I personally dont think the camera really captures that well the full impact of what the eye sees but will give some clues :) oh and no post processing or in camera HDR jiggery pokery or anything, these are just straight out the camera :)

I can definitely notice a difference with thise 2 images, I don't know how JVC pulled off e shift but it does truly works.

Going to have a play around with the UHD when I get home with thise settings in the sammy menu.

Great posts Boopy, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oooh...

looks like JVC have provided an updated to their auto calibration software this time to support the more accurate spyder pro/elite 5 meter.

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-x950r_x750r_x550rb_x9000_x7000_x5000_xc7890r_xc6890r_xc5890r_rs400_calibrationsoft.html

interestingly it also supports calibration for HDR, WCG and UHD :)

good to know ... though still only upto 160 hours and want to get to 200-300 hours before worrying about calibration.