JVC Redux, JVC's DLA-X7000 4K E-shift projector - an end user perspective

Thx Al - I thought I would give it a try to start with at around 100 hrs as some are suggesting the new lamps remain very stable.  Anyway it appears the problem may be that my meter is too close to the pj so I will play around again tonight to see how I go.

1 hour ago, lucmor444 said:

Just an update - I got my autocal to work.  Next step is now to run Chromapure on these new settings.

Good to here Luc, what did you have to do to get going ?

ps did you pretty much step through the steps in the jvc doc for it or is there something else to follow ?

The JVC autocal manual is pretty good if you combine it with the info on the first page of the releveant thread on AVSforums.  I haven't tried to load up any profiles yet (I do not have a UHD player).

My problem related to making sure the meter was far enough away from the projector (originally I had it about 30 cm from the projector lens and even thought the software it indicated it was within the acceptable range it only worked correctly when I moved it about 180cm from the projector).  I also made sure I was running a disc through my player when calibrating to ensure a 1080p feed to the projector.  I am not sure the latter is essential (I had been using the home screen from the player to feed video to the projector but just to make sure nothing was missed I played a disc on a suggestion from a member over on AVS).

OK, I got brave and ran the JVC update having previously run the Samsung update. I can now watch my one and only 4K movie, Mad Max and the picture is a quantum leap from the same disk in 2K. I've selected Gamma D and made the suggested tweaks to the D settings and that got the image out of the murk. I have an LP Morgan 2.34:1 screen and the colours appear very accurate especially the skin tones. If only I could overcome the sticker shock of the current offering of 4K materials I'd get a few more disks.

Trying to use a portable WD hard drive loaded with 4K clips into the Samsung USB input is another matter. The JVC reports no input signal when I try to play 4K clips but runs 2K clips from the WD as well as a thumb drive into the Samsung USB connector OK.

Early adoption .... bhah! Stay tuned.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, daviddsailor said:

OK, I got brave and ran the JVC update having previously run the Samsung update. I can now watch my one and only 4K movie, Mad Max and the picture is a quantum leap from the same disk in 2K. I've selected Gamma D and made the suggested tweaks to the D settings and that got the image out of the murk. I have an LP Morgan 2.34:1 screen and the colours appear very accurate especially the skin tones. If only I could overcome the sticker shock of the current offering of 4K materials I'd get a few more disks.

Trying to use a portable WD hard drive loaded with 4K clips into the Samsung USB input is another matter. The JVC reports no input signal when I try to play 4K clips but runs 2K clips from the WD as well as a thumb drive into the Samsung USB connector OK.

Early adoption .... bhah! Stay tuned.

great to hear David ! that got there and that pleased with the results :) of the efforts. sounds like have a good setup as well and things coming up a treat !

yeah no question some premium here on discs. though its an odd thing, some discs here end up a lot cheaper than what theyre paying for in the us and others we are getting ripped royal on. am tending to buy either jb hifi or amazon, wiht jb it seems they've settled on new releases at $44 or so and back catalog anything from $19 to $30 something which is probably more where should be :)

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies/4k-uhd/

if looking for some more stunning movies on uhd, I can highly recommend, star wars into the darkness, deadpool, the revenant, lucy and the martian. they all bring something special to the format and pricing wise seem to have now dropped to more sane levels than initial releases.

Thanks for the recommendations and the link to JB. Next time JB are having a 20% off sale I'll hightail it over to the Knox shopping centre.

I'm thinking that the issue with the Western Digital portable hard drive might be that it just can't output the 4K clips due to internal speed limitations or the mini USB output connector and skinny USB cable I'm using. The WD drive is a WDBAAU0010HBK-01. I'll look it up later and see if I can make any sense of it all.

David.

43 minutes ago, daviddsailor said:

Thanks for the recommendations and the link to JB. Next time JB are having a 20% off sale I'll hightail it over to the Knox shopping centre.

I'm thinking that the issue with the Western Digital portable hard drive might be that it just can't output the 4K clips due to internal speed limitations or the mini USB output connector and skinny USB cable I'm using. The WD drive is a WDBAAU0010HBK-01. I'll look it up later and see if I can make any sense of it all.

David.

It still may be a cable issue. I was using a 10m active jay car HDMI and could watch UHD discs but could not watch you tube or netflix through the Samsung which was upscaling. Changed to a Kordz PRV cable and all good. I also figured I could go back to 7.5m cable so that may have helped also... Still need to patch the 2 big holes I had to cut in my ceiling to get the cable thru, even with a draw cable....

8 hours ago, daviddsailor said:

David.

hi david, could be, we have one hdd that needs one of those cables wiht two usb connectors to work off one of our laptops before it will spin up and can access the data. 

maybe the sammy usb is realy only for thumb drives rather than with enough power to feed your HDD, I dont know...

Just sharing some pictures from my testing my X7000 in the new Theater Room I'm building. 

At 4.8m from lens face to wall i got a 147" cinemascope image that was very view-able. Actually I was blown away with the image considering It was a unfinished plastered wall and with no lighting control and a big 600mm high window 4.5m wide. I also tried other sizes and 16:9. I found 120" 16:9 image height to be perfect for TV and Games. Now just to decide If I go wider with a scope screen or stay 120" 16:9.

I should start a Theater Build thread for all this.

I made a quick video too. No sound because I have no speakers hooked up LOL!

Screenshot_20160928-181703.jpg

Screenshot_20160928-182521.jpg

Screenshot_20160928-182754.jpg

20160928_165931.jpg

20160928_180029.jpg

20160928_180053.jpg

20160928_180358.jpg

20160928_181255.jpg

20160928_181414.jpg

20160928_182038.jpg

20160928_182317.jpg

Screenshot_20160928-180316.jpg

Screenshot_20160928-180745.jpg

• Like 1

hi hatless good to see up and going. the important thing I think is viewing distance vs screen height - this will determine how much you resolve considering material res. and throw distance vs screen height will determine light output end up with up your sleeve. too big and will obviously mean less up the sleeve.

whats great to see is you're  exploring on your blank wall so can get a feel for what comfortable with, and can see what works best screen size vs viewing distance.

also want best balance between video and audio. A great starting point is setting up the main listening position at the 2/3rd room length from front screen. then see how you go with say an image sitting at 2.5x screen heights... can vary out to 2x and as to other end at 3x. usually a sweet spot in between depending on preference and viewing material. also leave some room below the screen for a centre speaker. dont want too low that firing at your shins :) better is not too far below 100-200mm from ear level.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, :) al said:
Spoiler

hi hatless good to see up and going. the important thing I think is viewing distance vs screen height - this will determine how much you resolve considering material res. and throw distance vs screen height will determine light output end up with up your sleeve. too big and will obviously mean less up the sleeve.

whats great to see is you're  exploring on your blank wall so can get a feel for what comfortable with, and can see what works best screen size vs viewing distance.

also want best balance between video and audio. A great starting point is setting up the main listening position at the 2/3rd room length from front screen. then see how you go with say an image sitting at 2.5x screen heights... can vary out to 2x and as to other end at 3x. usually a sweet spot in between depending on preference and viewing material. also leave some room below the screen for a centre speaker. dont want too low that firing at your shins :) better is not too far below 100-200mm from ear level.

Thanks Al for the tips!

Im struggling with the screen and in general how the front wall should be. I need to fit two 18" subs still. They are a custom build. Im hoping to keep them bewteen 450mm to 600mm max when laying on their side so could sneak them under. but my LCR consists of 3 KEF Ci5160RL-THX in wall speakers. And depending on my mood, time of the day, how much Ive eaten, my decision on having them mounted behind a AT screen vertically or out in the open either side of the screen and below. But because they are in wall and I dont want to comprmise my double stud and double plastered room. I cant fit them in wall. So then I have to mount them in boxes like I done with the 3160RL-THX that I have but trying to sell at the moment. See youtube video attached of them. I made the boxes. They sound good but just cant manage to fit them into my room as surrounds.

What is average ear level.

Do you think I will be ok with 15 degree baffle speakers mounted on the walls at 1500 - 1700mm with Atmos speakers overhead at 2.55m ?

AT the moment my viewing distance will be around 3.6m to 4m. somewhere in there. My room is 5.47m long.

PLANS SO FAR.jpg

20160928_171542.jpg

20160928_165829.jpg

20160928_165911.jpg

20160928_165921.jpg

20160928_165931.jpg

20160928_170300.jpg

I copied some of the 4K clips from the WD hard drive to an 8GB USB stick and plugged the stick into the Samsung UHD player's USB socket. Still won't play the 4K clips and the JVC 9000 reports 'HDMI no input'. I think I'll give up and wait for the next JB sale!

5 hours ago, daviddsailor said:

I copied some of the 4K clips from the WD hard drive to an 8GB USB stick and plugged the stick into the Samsung UHD player's USB socket. Still won't play the 4K clips and the JVC 9000 reports 'HDMI no input'. I think I'll give up and wait for the next JB sale!

hmm interesting, have not had a go playing anything over usb to be honest to comment. have you had it play anything off the usb ? apparently if a bonus of the sammy vs other players, anyways perhaps a setting thing wiht the sammy in its media player thing

• Like 1

I picked up a free Sony USB stick at a demo night for Sony's super expensive professional projector. It was loaded with 2K clips all of which play perfectly when plugged into the Samsung UHD player. I have also played music from a USB through the Samsung USB slot.

2 minutes ago, daviddsailor said:

I picked up a free Sony USB stick at a demo night for Sony's super expensive professional projector. It was loaded with 2K clips all of which play perfectly when plugged into the Samsung UHD player. I have also played music from a USB through the Samsung USB slot.

ah thats good...to know the player side of it works on the sammy wiht 2k atleast...as with music. 

if let me know where to get the 4k stuff to put on a usb am happy to give it a go...as long as not off pirate bay or some such :D

The 4K clips were loaded onto my WD hard drive by a retailer. I can only assume they are all legitimate issues. You're welcome to take a copy.

• Like 1

thanks David, I should check out the usb side I guess :)

ps the David Attenborough collection turned up,

29426742463_30fb398302_b.jpg

good school holidays stuff, we watched galapagos 3D...

I can say without reservation this is THE best natural shot 3D I have ever seen ! from the scenes of the Albatross waddling around, to the shots in rainforest, to sea lions rolling around on the beach. look just plain stunning. Same with say the walk through of charles darwin's study and shots of his home.... really its as close as you get to being there...

kids loved it too.... little daughter is bugging me :D to watch micro monsters next ...oops realised the unintended pun there hehe

Just like to say a big thanks to Al,for helping me over the phone on a Sunday ,I collected the X7000 from Hatless on Friday and had all sorts of problems integrating it into my system,major HDMI handshake issues ,all sorted now and very happy with the purchase ,hatless is a great man to deal with smooth transaction,was a long weekend!!
Thanks again Al,
Cheers and regards Muri

• Like 3

One more question,I'm keen to get an emitter?and maybe 4 or 5 glasses to match with the X7000 happy to place a WTB thread but not sure what I'm asking for?is this correct and are there after market(nonJVC)? equivalent ?that will do the same thing?am I better to stick with the genuine JVC item?thanks for any input in advance ,cheers Muri

1 hour ago, muriwai said:

Just like to say a big thanks to Al,for helping me over the phone on a Sunday ,I collected the X7000 from Hatless on Friday and had all sorts of problems integrating it into my system,major HDMI handshake issues ,all sorted now and very happy with the purchase ,hatless is a great man to deal with smooth transaction,was a long weekend!!
Thanks again Al,
Cheers and regards Muri

glad if could help muri, we've all been there at some stage pulling hair out so glad its sorted. 

Hi Al,may I ask where did you source the 2 David Attenborough and flying monster movies from?link?
Cheers again Muri

just from amazon uk, 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FEDUIAK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B010E45ROA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005DE09FY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One more question,I'm keen to get an emitter?and maybe 4 or 5 glasses to match with the X7000 happy to place a WTB thread but not sure what I'm asking for?is this correct and are there after market(nonJVC)? equivalent ?that will do the same thing?am I better to stick with the genuine JVC item?thanks for any input in advance ,cheers Muri

not sure what is best these days muri, I got mine with the x35 I had before, these are best bought as a kit and can get good deals with projector at buying time. post probably be expensive ! I think @blybo got a set post purchase so might be able to give some clues...

there are after market types...but gee its a mine field...comes back whether your screen type and some even get the model number slightly wrong and dont work so I wasnt game to take a risk. others might be able to suggest otherwise here as well if have had success with.

well worth getting though... its one of the best things 3D with these projectors ! :)

33 minutes ago, :) al said:

glad if could help muri, we've all been there at some stage pulling hair out so glad its sorted. 

just from amazon uk, 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FEDUIAK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B010E45ROA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005DE09FY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

not sure what is best these days muri, I got mine with the x35 I had before, these are best bought as a kit and can get good deals with projector at buying time. post probably be expensive ! I think @blybo got a set post purchase so might be able to give some clues...

there are after market types...but gee its a mine field...comes back whether your screen type and some even get the model number slightly wrong and dont work so I wasnt game to take a risk. others might be able to suggest otherwise here as well if have had success with.

well worth getting though... its one of the best things 3D with these projectors ! :)

I got mine thru Oz Theatre Screens, can't remember if got the package price as bought reasonably soon after the projector.