JVC Redux, JVC's DLA-X7000 4K E-shift projector - an end user perspective

Guys (sorry General Morrison) will the 5/7000 update itself over network? Or does it require the said cable? I'll look back through but is it a special jvc cable?

hi jimmy you need the special cables and follow procedure downloading to laptop and then applying to projector via said cable. Procedure is pretty self explanatory but if unclear do ask might be able to answer :)

hi jimmy you need the special cables and follow procedure downloading to laptop and then applying to projector via said cable. Procedure is pretty self explanatory but if unclear do ask might be able to answer :)

Thanks Al will do. Looking at the 5000 for budget and WAF as not sure the black I'll cut it in middle of the room.

• Like 1

• Volunteer

Yeah, I've already tried adding a delay but can't added the input selection a 2nd time. Might be a call to support to get custom coding...

Yep I think you're right about a call to support, the idea I had wasn't possible, and the next idea I had didn't work.  :rolleyes:

They've hobbled the software setup on these way too much, on the old software there was a lot more room to move setup wise.  :emot-bang: :emot-bang: :emot-bang:

well turns out the spyder 5 express is also compatible wiht the jvc auto cal calibration program.... and digidirect locally selling it for only $179 so decided that was worth grabbing

27481747841_83cf50322a_c.jpg

though only upto 179 hours or so I think so no rush will give this a shot once get up to 200-300 hours mark :)

worse case if nothing else will just use it to calibrate the mac book pro :D

• Like 2

• Volunteer

The FW update was painless enough, although nerves were high as I didn't want to kill my PJ.  :unsure::D:rolleyes:

Al did you use the V6 or V7 calibration software?

9CB0BCDE-14A7-4816-8574-97F87706CCA8_zps

Edited by Kazz
  • Like 1

The FW update was painless enough, although nerves were high as I didn't want to kill my PJ.  :unsure::D:rolleyes:

Al did you use the V6 or V7 calibration software?

9CB0BCDE-14A7-4816-8574-97F87706CCA8_zps

great to see kazz ! no kidding was very relieved when the update was done and dusted on mine as well ! 

I used the older v6, and no difference kazz. the difference I understand only matters in the meter supported …. which is not required for just uploading the bt2020 color profile….

all easy now ! am sure will get there no worries, but sing out if stuck for any reason :) 

• Volunteer

great to see kazz ! no kidding was very relieved when the update was done and dusted on mine as well ! 

I used the older v6, and no difference kazz. the difference I understand only matters in the meter supported …. which is not required for just uploading the bt2020 color profile….

all easy now ! am sure will get there no worries, but sing out if stuck for any reason :)

Yes definitely a relief when it was done, I've just done the BT.2020 import too, that was quite easy.  :D

I also picked up a 10m Kordz PRS during the week too so will be giving that a run tonight, going to watch ID4 before we go to see the new one on Friday.  :D

• Like 1

Yes definitely a relief when it was done, I've just done the BT.2020 import too, that was quite easy.  :D

I also picked up a 10m Kordz PRS during the week too so will be giving that a run tonight, going to watch ID4 before we go to see the new one on Friday.  :D

ah great stuff ! yes the bt2020 import goes a lot quicker and easier by comparison ! :D  yes been cable no dramas since got the kordz prs in ! haha will be watching the id4 one after another  :)

• Like 1

• Volunteer

ah great stuff ! yes the bt2020 import goes a lot quicker and easier by comparison ! :D  yes been cable no dramas since got the kordz prs in ! haha will be watching the id4 one after another   :)

The BT.2020 update makes a world of difference to the pq as well, the Kordz is definitely behaving itself very well, no issues at all and I'm running it directly from the player to the pj.  :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

watched quite an innocent film in Brooklyn.... and gobsmacked by the pure picture quality of it. its no 4k master or anything but they have done  brilliant job in producing. the jvc just laps up stuff like this renders it so beautifully, such a natural look to the picture .... took some shots of some lovely examples below,

27656480480_8227ea0d9c_k.jpg

27656493700_234f2a3a98_k.jpg

27935236995_9534bba5d5_k.jpg

27858149781_c70228a7d7_k.jpg

27833711022_f2cdbf3d81_k.jpg

ps was interesting surprise to read after viewing the film on how closely the leads own life mimics the film, great movie :)

anyways one to check out ... and be wowed on what a lovely job these jvcs can do !

• Like 2

3/4s the way through prometheus on blu-ray.... 

prometheus-blu-ray-dvd-prombdrgb.jpg

gawd am reminded right from the opening what a stunningly well made movie this is ... stunning visuals ... sure showcases the black capability of the jvc ... and SO much detail ! 

great movie star trek into the darkness :)

thought maybe time to do some comparative screen shots, uhd blu-ray and blu-ray see if can pick which one is which   :)

1A.

Blu-ray

27488374364_8e709bb36e_o.jpg

1B.

UHD Blu-ray

28068593656_883779e6ba_o.jpg

2A.

Blu-ray

28068753216_48c16456ab_o.jpg

2B.

UHD Blu-ray

27487852993_09f2eaa241_o.jpg

3A.

UHD Blu-ray

28102621685_b0df490e32_o.jpg

3B.

Blu-ray

27488303864_a25fcfd6a7_o.jpg

4A.  

UHD Blu-ray

28068508616_5788db0081_o.jpg

4B.

Blu-ray

28000163402_f02dce7e5f_o.jpg

5A.  

UHD Blu-ray

27822347340_b7a96b9f41_o.jpg

5B.

Blu-ray

28025144611_0191e6ae05_o.jpg

• Like 1

great movie star trek into the darkness :)

thought maybe time to do some comparative screen shots, uhd blu-ray and blu-ray see if can pick which one is which :)

1A.

Blu-ray

27488374364_8e709bb36e_o.jpg

1B.

UHD Blu-ray

28068593656_883779e6ba_o.jpg

2A.

Blu-ray

28068753216_48c16456ab_o.jpg

2B.

UHD Blu-ray

27487852993_09f2eaa241_o.jpg

3A.

UHD Blu-ray

28102621685_b0df490e32_o.jpg

3B.

Blu-ray

27488303864_a25fcfd6a7_o.jpg

4A.

UHD Blu-ray

28068508616_5788db0081_o.jpg

4B.

Blu-ray

28000163402_f02dce7e5f_o.jpg

5A.

UHD Blu-ray

27822347340_b7a96b9f41_o.jpg

5B.

Blu-ray

28025144611_0191e6ae05_o.jpg

Thanks for the comparo BB. So hard to tell the differences, but once I knew the answers I could see a pattern emerging.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comparo BB. So hard to tell the differences, but once I knew the answers I could see a pattern emerging.

was curious enough myself what the camera could pickup ! 

good on you for checking, was interested in what people would pick up. purposefully left it without clues and with spoilers :)

I had advantage of having seen myself and knowing what to look for…but without pointing out interested to see what people would notice !

(ps as a note, since sold my full frame dslr, this is only with the little eos m3 mirroless and due to crop factor utilised the 35mm sigma art instead - so still photos shot for human eye perspective…but likely probably missing out on the detail, resolution and dynamic range could have captured with the full frame dslr)

• Like 1

• Volunteer

Yeah, I've already tried adding a delay but can't added the input selection a 2nd time. Might be a call to support to get custom coding...

OK so I've solved this issue (at least on my setup but should work on yours too).

When you've got the harmony plugeed in and the myharmony.com software running, go to devices and click on the X7000.

Then go to change device settings 

Then device delay settings

These are the settings I've put in, I'll need to have more of a play to see if I can reduce the delay times but this actually worked, I gad been trying to change4 the delays in the activity setup and not the device setup.

Harmony%20X5000_zpsviycr3vt.jpg

OK so I've solved this issue (at least on my setup but should work on yours too).

When you've got the harmony plugeed in and the myharmony.com software running, go to devices and click on the X7000.

Then go to change device settings

Then device delay settings

These are the settings I've put in, I'll need to have more of a play to see if I can reduce the delay times but this actually worked, I gad been trying to change4 the delays in the activity setup and not the device setup.

Harmony%20X5000_zpsviycr3vt.jpg

Hey thanks Kazz... I've made these changes, will test tonight once I get home and sync.

which harmony are you guys using ?

its good to know you guys have something workable. if my old antique 1100i ever dies will have something to move onto :D 

ps anyone explored the autocal as yet ... am still quite a few hours off :)

its good to know you guys have something workable. if my old antique 1100i ever dies will have something to move onto :D

I've used an Ultimate but now using the Elite as it has the dedicated buttons for my Lifx lights.

I'll test yours if you like :P , but I need to get windows installed on my Macbook first. Wonder how it would work with type USB-C connector via adapter.

I've used an Ultimate but now using the Elite as it has the dedicated buttons for my Lifx lights.

I'll test yours if you like :P , but I need to get windows installed on my Macbook first. Wonder how it would work with type USB-C connector via adapter.

interesting on the harmonies have not really kept up... had the "one" for the 2nd system for a while ...but then realised system was so simple everyone was just using the 1-2 remote it ever uses ! :D

I just cant imagine my 1100i will just keep going forever though ...last time it broke out of warranty (kids dropped it ! ) I contacted logitech on where to take to fix.... and to my surprise they instead just sent me a new one :D

not sure on autocal on the mac, not heard of it being done. though perhaps if it doesnt know its windows on a mac I guess could work ? am not sure you can use the meters on multiple machines ? theres a guy on avs I noticed in a bit of a bind because of it so perhaps not a good idea ? dont know really though have to admit ...not explored at all. from what can gather its a very quick process...and handy for repeat every 100-200 hours or so to keep in line :) and express meter is so cheap a no brainer...

in a bit of a busy path over next few weeks but will get there. do post back if get a chance to give a run :)

• Volunteer

I'm using the Ultimate One, I've had quite a few models now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the Ultimate One, I've had quite a few models now.

Hey Kazz, I found your settings work when changing "activities" but don't work for me on start up if the projector was a different HDMI input before hand... and the remotes takes for ever to be ready... not that it's a huge issue till the projector is up to speed but I also control my new WiFi lights by the remote and have to wait till all signals are sent before being able to control them.

Think I might send a email to Logitech about it. Surely others must have the same issue.

as I get up in the hours, just making a note for myself that JVC has a pretty good manual for the autocal here,

https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/file/JVC_PCS_manual7_en_v1_00.pdf

I was looking at buying a Spyder last week to do this but then started reading an AVS thread about and my eyes just rolled back in my head, didn't sound very "auto" to me. Maybe they were doing manual calibrations???

Still have to look into putting Windows on my Macbook via bootcamp to do all this stuff.

~

I was looking at buying a Spyder last week to do this but then started reading an AVS thread about and my eyes just rolled back in my head, didn't sound very "auto" to me. Maybe they were doing manual calibrations???

Still have to look into putting Windows on my Macbook via bootcamp to do all this stuff.

dont know, havent explored enough to comment, yes forums can be quite confusing places....took me ages to decipher the HDR setup procedure myself for instance ...but then realised on doing just how simple it actually is ! 

thats why I downloaded the jvc autocal guide, so can look over when have the time, appears to be a 6 step process :)

1. 1  Install the software on your PC (P. 3)

2. 2  Connect the main unit and your PC via LAN cable

3. 3  Projector and PC Setup (P. 4)

4. 4  Start up the software (P. 7)

5. 5  Connect the optical sensor

6. 6  Calibration (P. 8) 

am hoping just a case of following their steps ... one by one...

and from what I understand reasonably simple and capable of VERY good result. for cost of the sensor hundred and something dollars its really a no brainer. I see as got nothing to loose really. 

anyways .... time will tell :D