JVC Redux, JVC's DLA-X7000 4K E-shift projector - an end user perspective

oooh got the cables finally for updating the jvc firmware(for uhd blu-ray)..... and the revenant came in as well ...will this be the first UHD I check out ?

26282622993_7f5e7429b2_b.jpg

got a note asking where I got the cables for to do the jvc updates,

the tripp lite keyspan adapter I got from expansys

http://www.expansys.com.au/keyspan-high-speed-usb-serial-adapter-121827/

the null cable adapter I got from amazon (note it is an add on item... so can only buy it i buying something else so I just added it the revenant uhd blu-ray I was also buying :)

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-10-Feet-RS232-Serial-SCNM9FF/dp/B00006B8BJ?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

there are possibly other options e.g. the trip lite I understand is also possibly sold by telescope shops as they are used to hook upto telescopes and there might be other suitable cables can use. and null modem cables quite possibly you have something that works or can get from some place else. I just didnt want to take any chances especially where potential bricking of the component is possible so got exactly what was specified and where been proven to work.

I did the comparison below on the jvc x7000 for someone trying the same with a sony and wondering....

Thanks for posting the comparisons.  I didn't think I'd notice much difference, but there certainly is.  I picked the blu ray image vs UHD too, so obviously well worth the effort.  :thumb:

• Like 1

I know have been a bit distracted by uhd blu-ray a bit. well thanks to kazz bringing my attention the recent remastering of the old favourite of mine 5th element ! well with a 4k remastering and a new 3D audio atmos track I had to get hold of it.

96ed1a33fbd64eaaea62f1b01ac9d049.png

its region A locked blu-ray mind you and only available from the US. fortunately got an update on my sammy uhd player so its region free on blu-ray. I must say from the outset, I was  little bit hesitant only in buying in that there have been a few versions of this old disc. how much better can this be really ?

well I was in for a bit of a surprise. initially the opening of the film took me back to early days of blu-ray and  heck even DVD ! was it some 20 years ago it came out on DVD ?

there a bit of a grainy bits in some sections up at the start but you soon start to appreciate just how good it looks !  as can see in  some quick shots here to give a bit of an idea,

27214525101_7ba5ba4c2e_k.jpg

27009292010_9a2a191d54_k.jpg

26677568944_771a630b0c_k.jpg

26677573804_d16ff8021b_k.jpg

rich colours some great details, looked  real treat I must say. when I think about how far back the master of this film goes back to the DVD days realise just how far its come ! amazing to watch this in the quality it is ! 

as a note I left the sammy player just upscaling this to 4k and feeding the jvc. 

$15 from amazon.... I ended up also grabbing Leon the professional which has had the same treatment. I dare say it will probably come out on uhd blu-ray later in the year as well. but still at the cost am very glad I got it :)

• Like 2

Ahh, Fifth Element.  I've never seen this flick before and grabbed it about 3 weeks ago, am planning to check it out soon.  It seems to have a cult following...

Leon the professional is a fantastic movie too, I saw it at the cinemas when it came out - that is, back when I used to go to the cinemas!

• Like 1

Ahh, Fifth Element.  I've never seen this flick before and grabbed it about 3 weeks ago, am planning to check it out soon.  It seems to have a cult following...

Leon the professional is a fantastic movie too, I saw it at the cinemas when it came out - that is, back when I used to go to the cinemas!

be interesting how you find 5th element kaynin. it was one of the first blu-rays available on the launch of the format and all the retailers would typically have it on loop with the taxi chase scene to show off :) big favourite of mine ... I think I might even have another couple of versions on blu-ray somewhere hehe

look forward to watching leon the professional over next few days :)

• Volunteer

I know have been a bit distracted by uhd blu-ray a bit. well thanks to kazz bringing my attention the recent remastering of the old favourite of mine 5th element ! well with a 4k remastering and a new 3D audio atmos track I had to get hold of it.

96ed1a33fbd64eaaea62f1b01ac9d049.png

its region A locked blu-ray mind you and only available from the US. fortunately got an update on my sammy uhd player so its region free on blu-ray. I must say from the outset, I was  little bit hesitant only in buying in that there have been a few versions of this old disc. how much better can this be really ?

well I was in for a bit of a surprise. initially the opening of the film took me back to early days of blu-ray and  heck even DVD ! was it some 20 years ago it came out on DVD ?

there a bit of a grainy bits in some sections up at the start but you soon start to appreciate just how good it looks !  as can see in  some quick shots here to give a bit of an idea,

rich colours some great details, looked  real treat I must say. when I think about how far back the master of this film goes back to the DVD days realise just how far its come ! amazing to watch this in the quality it is ! 

as a note I left the sammy player just upscaling this to 4k and feeding the jvc. 

$15 from amazon.... I ended up also grabbing Leon the professional which has had the same treatment. I dare say it will probably come out on uhd blu-ray later in the year as well. but still at the cost am very glad I got it :)

Yep it is the best version of this film to date, that's for sure, although I'm sure there will a 4K UHD version coming soon enough.  :P

I won't be able to watch it on the Sammy as I'm not getting the region chip done as I'll hang onto my Oppo until they bring out a UHD player and then I'll decide if I stick with the Sammy or get an Oppo UHD.

• Like 1

Yep it is the best version of this film to date, that's for sure, although I'm sure there will a 4K UHD version coming soon enough.  :P

I won't be able to watch it on the Sammy as I'm not getting the region chip done as I'll hang onto my Oppo until they bring out a UHD player and then I'll decide if I stick with the Sammy or get an Oppo UHD.

oh yeah am sure its up on the list to release on uhd. but great to see what can be achieved with even such an old film on blu-ray vi the jvc.

yeah if not region freeing the sammy it makes sense to keep the oppo. and can keep the oppo until something reasonable as alternative lands :)

I want to share what have learnt with respect to setting up for / calibration for HDR as it was up until a little while ago a bit of a mystery for me. and particularly since having been helped wiht it have now worked out just how simple it infact is ! so think perhaps worth sharing as quite likely be others in similar predicament and shouldn't be ! as a note I was actually quite happy wiht end result post following JVCs settings and directions with regards whats needed to view UHD HDR material but this will make sure you have things dialled in for HDR and help you get there. additional to this it also requires setting up a user mode for uhd on the sammy using a contrast of +7 and brightness of +3

by the way this comes from a couple of guys, one being manni who some would know has a great thread with regards calibrations and other being Ted who runs his Display calibrations  business so not some numpties who dont know what they are on about ! 

so quite simply ... 

once have downloaded the BT2020 color profile and done the requisite update for UHD and very importantly done as suggested with regards on the jvc 

Gamma setting D Picture Tone  +12 Dark Level  +5 Bright Level  +4 Lamp Power High

and very importantly set the picture tone setting for screen size as suggested. e.g. above picture tone is +12 for a 100 inch screen. I run a 92 inch and hence run at +11 as suggested.

then using these settings on a custom preset wiht a pure white screen e.g. the white color purity test on wow disney check your output ... you are aiming at essentially wiht HDR creating some headroom for dynamic range ... 

can use the page below to convert from a foot lambert FL measurement to what it is in "nits"

http://www.unitconversion.org/luminance/foot-lamberts-to-nits-conversion.html

now typically with blu-ray people will run say 12-18 FL which in nits is 41-61 nits. well what you want to do is create some dynamic range for UHD and its High Dynamic Range. so there fore at minimum you want to aim at say 100-150 nits to get an appreciation for HDR.

so you open up your iris to see what setting you need to end up with somewhere in 100 to 150 nits range.

using my light meter I checked my output at middle at screen at a few set point on the projector e.g. low lamp wide open and high lamp and then to crank the iris to see where get around the 150 nits point. as a note the light meter will measure in foot candle or Fc and you need to multiply by your screen gain which in my case is 1.1 to get your foot lambert FL.

below are my readings 

low lamp, iris wide open I get 40 FL or 137 nits. 
high lamp iris wide open I get 58 FL or 198 nits.
high lamp iris -5 I get 45 FL or 154 nits,

which as can see gives me a few options I can run in low lamp and crank back till get about 100 nits or run in high lamp cranked back to about -5 on the iris or leave it wide open giving about 198 nits.

so how does this help with films mastered at much higher levels of HDR ? 

well this is where the 10x trick comes in as per manni and ted. 

you will either need a test screen from Ted ...or if you have a sony uhd blu-ray as I do in SALT ...what will find is with Salt loaded and at the disc menu without the film playing if you hit 7669 or numbers corresponding to "SONY" on the sammy uhd players number keypad on the remote (if you are not using a full sammy remote holding down one of the key pads on the little player remote (check the manual) - will bring up the key pad and once entered a whole set of calibration and setup patterns will pop up chapter by chapter... scroll through using the chapter skip till come to the ones below,

27090103856_54070310b4_c.jpg

27090113796_1070e88265_c.jpg

27090123736_eff4a7b2ed_c.jpg

26849183100_ea4545e42b_c.jpg

as can see from the latter two screen shots if hit the info button on the remote it removes the chapter info and it has some markings on the bars e.g. 1100 to 2000

what you want to do with these bars is ... using the contrast control on the projector clip the bar corresponding to 10x the peak output of your projector you are running with. for instance if I want to go with a 100 nit output on my projector I then clip the bar corresponding with 1000 or if want to go with my low lamp wide open seeing  of 137 nit go with clipping 10x that or the 1400 bar. for high lamp wide open setting I can clip at 10x 198nits  or 2000. at my -5 iris setting for high lamp I can go for 10x  154 or clip at 1500.

ironically what I actually found in this test is that the  stock jvc suggested settings actually clipped and corresponded exactly with me not needing to adjust my projector contrast ...wow jvc really hit things on the head there ! so great to have this confirm :) in practice what it will make up for is any  inaccuracies between jvcs suggested setting and in practice given your particular projector unit and if nothing else will confirm on the right track or give opportunity to fine tune your HDR setup.

fro me what it has meant is its given me 4 possible options of taking advantage of HDR. a low lamp setting around -7 iris that clip at 1000 nits. a low lamp iris wide open setting that will clip at 1400 nits. a high lamp setting at -5 to clip at 1500 and a iris wide open setting wiht high lamp to clip at 2000 nits :)

the beauty with all these settings once know what they are is can pick and choose just how much want to push things HDR wise with your projector whether low lamp or high and goes what they all look pretty great as end result taking advantage as much or as little of HDR content as you want ! am pretty pleased wiht understanding this and what can do to setup and take advantage for ! 

as a heads up below the versions can see tI got straight from amazon,

26730425344_01aaa65458_c.jpg

the fifth element disc also came with the sticker leon had.

I watched Leon the professional last night. wow what a movie. it is just like fifth element a visual treat. even simple scenes like him sitting in his room with the milk cartons and other stuff around. just so much detail. so beautifully done as a movie and my this remastered edition is best I have ever seen it. audio wise wow there is some serious bass ... stuff moving our front door on hinges with the pressure wave and this is sprinkled through the movie ! . the atmos doesnt very obviously add much its there doing its thing but not in your face. but  boy am sure sure there will be UHD releases of these will be very interesting how much further they can take a remaster such as this. though either way looks a treat as is on the jvc so extremely pleased ! :) i truly feel at times we are so lucky these days to be able to enjoy stuff like this in the home at quality we do ! :)

i truly feel at times we are so lucky these days to be able to enjoy stuff like this in the home at quality we do ! :)

Agreed, just last night we were watching an episode of House of Cards (what a show) on Netflix via a 1080p stream. In the opening scenes I turned to my wife and said "can you believe this quality is coming to us via the phone lines?" I'm going to play with the lip sync setting with Netflix via my Sammy UHD player tonight and see whether our ADSL internet speed can cater to 4k streaming. Apparently it's good step up for those with the ability to actually stream it.

The JVC X7000 is an amazing piece of kit, although a couple of times I've found it has not responded to the turn off signal... once even from the rear of the unit. 

• Like 1

I want to share what have learnt with respect to setting up for / calibration for HDR as it was up until a little while ago a bit of a mystery for me. and particularly since having been helped wiht it have now worked out just how simple it infact is ! so think perhaps worth sharing as quite likely be others in similar predicament and shouldn't be ! as a note I was actually quite happy wiht end result post following JVCs settings and directions with regards whats needed to view UHD HDR material but this will make sure you have things dialled in for HDR and help you get there. additional to this it also requires setting up a user mode for uhd on the sammy using a contrast of +7 and brightness of +3

by the way this comes from a couple of guys, one being manni who some would know has a great thread with regards calibrations and other being Ted who runs his Display calibrations  business so not some numpties who dont know what they are on about ! 

so quite simply ... 

once have downloaded the BT2020 color profile and done the requisite update for UHD and very importantly done as suggested with regards on the jvc 

Gamma setting : D Picture Tone : +12 Dark Level : +5 Bright Level : +4 Lamp Power : High

and very importantly set the picture tone setting for screen size as suggested. e.g. above picture tone is +12 for a 100 inch screen. I run a 92 inch and hence run at +11 as suggested.

then using these settings on a custom preset wiht a pure white screen e.g. the white color purity test on wow disney check your output ... you are aiming at essentially wiht HDR creating some headroom for dynamic range ... 

now typically with blu-ray people will run say 12-18 FL which in nits is 41-61 nits. well what you want to do is create some dynamic range for UHD and its High Dynamic Range. so there fore at minimum you want to aim at say 100-150 nits to get an appreciation for HDR.

so you open up your iris to see what setting you need to end up with somewhere in 100 to 150 nits range.

below are my readings 

low lamp, iris wide open I get 40 FL or 137 nits. 

high lamp iris wide open I get 58 FL or 198 nits.

high lamp iris -5 I get 45 FL or 154 nits,

which as can see gives me a few options I can run in low lamp and crank back till get about 100 nits or run in high lamp cranked back to about -5 on the iris or leave it wide open giving about 198 nits.

ironically what I actually found in this test is that the  stock jvc suggested settings actually clipped and corresponded exactly with me not needing to adjust my projector contrast ...wow jvc really hit things on the head there ! so great to have this confirm :) in practice what it will make up for is any  inaccuracies between jvcs suggested setting and in practice given your particular projector unit and if nothing else will confirm on the right track or give opportunity to fine tune your HDR setup.

fro me what it has meant is its given me 4 possible options of taking advantage of HDR. a low lamp setting around -7 iris that clip at 1000 nits. a low lamp iris wide open setting that will clip at 1400 nits. a high lamp setting at -5 to clip at 1500 and a iris wide open setting wiht high lamp to clip at 2000 nits :)

the beauty with all these settings once know what they are is can pick and choose just how much want to push things HDR wise with your projector whether low lamp or high and goes what they all look pretty great as end result taking advantage as much or as little of HDR content as you want ! am pretty pleased wiht understanding this and what can do to setup and take advantage for ! 

Al, just wanted to add that with the JVC it's very important to set up HDR mode according to screen size and room conditions, especially in the case of a lot of the 'canned' settings out there. I've done a lot tweaking with my 2:35.1 150" wide SI pure white 1.3 screen. I've had to crank up to high lamp and open up the iris to get the most out my system with 4K UHD. Also, as per the JVC settings for dark level, you'll have to fine tune that as well - I've ended up pretty much at max due significantly larger screen than JVC's 100" spec and obv the other direction from you as you mentioned for your 92" screen.

For those who are curious about 4K players you can view my A/B testing and commentary on output differences and the usage of in built picture control settings on both the Samsung K8500 and Panasonic UB900 with the Sony HDR test patterns : http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2222586-official-jvc-rs600-rs500-x950r-x750r-x9000-x7000-owners-thread-367.html#post44321697

Edited by OzHT
  • Like 2

Al, just wanted to add that with the JVC it's very important to set up HDR mode according to screen size and room conditions, especially in the case of a lot of the 'canned' settings out there. I've done a lot tweaking with my 2:35.1 150" wide SI pure white 1.3 screen. I've had to crank up to high lamp and open up the iris to get the most out my system with 4K UHD. Also, as per the JVC settings for dark level, you'll have to fine tune that as well - I've ended up pretty much at max due significantly larger screen than JVC's 100" spec and obv the other direction from you as you mentioned for your 92" screen.

For those who are curious about 4K players you can view my A/B testing and commentary on output differences and the usage of in built picture control settings on both the Samsung K8500 and Panasonic UB900 with the Sony HDR test patterns : http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2222586-official-jvc-rs600-rs500-x950r-x750r-x9000-x7000-owners-thread-367.html#post44321697

hi oz, yeah I suspect am pretty close to 100" basis and why things working pretty well to get there as confirmed with my testing. with mine just tweaking one notch back on the dark setting seems to work pretty well which is in line wiht jvc recommendation. can imagine a 150" screen going a fair way from that :) and can imagine needing high lamp and iris open for screen that size :)

I agree definitely worth checking and worth tweaking to suit :)

• Like 1

hi oz, yeah I suspect am pretty close to 100" basis and why things working pretty well to get there as confirmed with my testing. with mine just tweaking one notch back on the dark setting seems to work pretty well which is in line wiht jvc recommendation. can imagine a 150" screen going a fair way from that :) and can imagine needing high lamp and iris open for screen that size :)

I agree definitely worth checking and worth tweaking to suit :)

Yeah I think you're right in the sweet spot there for the rec settings. My 130" Seymour AT electric in 2:35 was somewhere in between and different again with the type of room when I tried the X7000 on it. Got a satisfying result with that arrangement too once I'd finished.

• Like 1

@@betty boop @@blybo

Are you guys using one setting on the pj for 1080 and another for 4k/HDR?

hi @@Kazz I have a couple of presets. I use the THX setting for everything TV/blu-ray apple tv etc and set up a separate preset user 1 and renamed it UHD for uhd blu-ray :)

until you do the update you want to run the jvc settings they suggest without the update on a separate preset :)

• Volunteer

hi @@Kazz I have a couple of presets. I use the THX setting for everything TV/blu-ray apple tv etc and set up a separate preset user 1 and renamed it UHD for uhd blu-ray :)

until you do the update you want to run the jvc settings they suggest without the update on a separate preset :)

I thought that might be the case and is how I've set mine up too.  :)

• Like 1

I thought that might be the case and is how I've set mine up too.  :)

"we" did the JVC upgrade and colour profile import etc last night. Can't wait to get the chance to sit down and watch a movie as it was closer to 10pm once finished. Did your JVC come with the BT.2020 colour profile already installed?

Have you also changed picture settings in the Sammy to Dynamic for HDR? I think we did +7 contrast and +3 for brightness.

I'm hoping to add another activity to my Harmony remote and have 1 for Blu Ray and 1 for 4K UHD so the Harmony can do all the user profile switching for me. Just depends as some commands are hard to replicate on the Harmony.

• Like 1

• Volunteer

"we" did the JVC upgrade and colour profile import etc last night. Can't wait to get the chance to sit down and watch a movie as it was closer to 10pm once finished. Did your JVC come with the BT.2020 colour profile already installed?

Have you also changed picture settings in the Sammy to Dynamic for HDR? I think we did +7 contrast and +3 for brightness.

I'm hoping to add another activity to my Harmony remote and have 1 for Blu Ray and 1 for 4K UHD so the Harmony can do all the user profile switching for me. Just depends as some commands are hard to replicate on the Harmony.

Unfortunately my PJ didn't come with the updated FW or the BT.2020 profile, although I have them both downloaded and ready to go, I'm just waiting on the cables to arrive.  

Was it a fairly easy process to do the updates?

No I haven't changed the setting on the Sammy yet (actually didn't know about that setting), atm the new HDMI cable isn't hooked up to the pj, it should get done tomorrow (at least I threatened the tall lanky one with pain if it isn't done tomorrow  ;)  :P  :D ).

Edit: I do get up into the roof space to run cables but where this has to go is an awkward spot and he bends better than I do.......    :P  :rolleyes:

I'm sort of doing two activities on the harmony atm as I'm using the Sammy for 4K and the Oppo for 1080p, although the Harmony was being a pain with changing the PJ inputs on the X35, I'll have to see how it goes once I delete the 35 and put the 5000 on.  The Harmony remotes are good but when they want to be difficult they are. :emot-bang:   :P  

Edited by Kazz

Unfortunately my PJ didn't come with the updated FW or the BT.2020 profile, although I have them both downloaded and ready to go, I'm just waiting on the cables to arrive.  

No I haven't changed the setting on the Sammy yet (actually didn't know about that setting), atm the new HDMI cable isn't hooked up to the pj, it should get done tomorrow (at least I threatened the tall lanky one with pain if it isn't done tomorrow  ;)  :P  :D ).

Edit: I do get up into the roof space to run cables but where this has to go is an awkward spot and he bends better than I do.......    :P  :rolleyes:

I'm sort of doing two activities on the harmony atm as I'm using the Sammy for 4K and the Oppo for 1080p, although the Harmony was being a pain with changing the PJ inputs on the X35, I'll have to see how it goes once I delete the 35 and put the 5000 on.  The Harmony remotes are good but when they want to be difficult they are. :emot-bang:   :P  

Well I'm running HDMI1 on the JVC for Foxtel and Apple TV, HDMI2 for the Sammy. My watch Blu Ray activity has JVC input as HDMI 2 but it never works... and I've just checked and can't directly select picture setting on the Samsung from the Harmony software... although there might be a code somewhere...

My cable is still running around the outside of the room as we had some glitches last night... all of which were corrected by switching JVC HDMI inputs back and forth or ejecting and reloading a disc. Just wondering if a better cable would get around this issue. I have a un-terminated cat5 draw cable running thru my ceiling, hope that will make running the cable easy.

Edit: I do get up into the roof space to run cables but where this has to go is an awkward spot and he bends better than I do.......    

I'm sort of doing two activities on the harmony atm as I'm using the Sammy for 4K and the Oppo for 1080p, although the Harmony was being a pain with changing the PJ inputs on the X35, I'll have to see how it goes once I delete the 35 and put the 5000 on.  The Harmony remotes are good but when they want to be difficult they are.

with regards the process to upgrade, I've added in links to jvc docs and the main page, though quite likely have found them already :) if have downloaded the needed files, anyways have put them in for future reference :D

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/97059-jvc-redux-jvcs-dla-x7000-4k-e-shift-projector-an-end-user-perspective/?p=1616413

the jvc note on doing the upgrade is to be followed exactly though there is an obvious glitch and a dangerous one and this procedure done incorrectly can brick your unit.

the essential step is to ensure you have unplugged the projector of everything to start with  INCLUDING the power cable (the procedure incorrectly says wiht exception of the power cable).... and that you wait till all its lights go off.

from then on follow the procedure with running stuff on your laptop with the upgrade cable connected to the laptop. only then hook up the upgrade cable to the JVC and then plug the jvc in as per the procedure and follow the rest to conclusion.

it is a really easy procedure just follow the steps keeping in mind their power cable confusion and you will be right 

with regards loading the color profile I would suggest hookup both your laptop and the jvc to your router. dont try to hook the jvc direct to your laptop or all the other network gymkhana they go on about. with both hooked to the network (i.e. the first suggested procedure) will find all works a treat :)

after that suggest setting the contrast +7 and +3 for user picture mode for uhd on the sammy and if have  sony uhd disc do the 10x trick with regards setting up for HDR have posted about previously. if dont have that not a biggee likely will still look pretty good :)

Well I'm running HDMI1 on the JVC for Foxtel and Apple TV, HDMI2 for the Sammy. My watch Blu Ray activity has JVC input as HDMI 2 but it never works... and I've just checked and can't directly select picture setting on the Samsung from the Harmony software... although there might be a code somewhere...

My cable is still running around the outside of the room as we had some glitches last night... all of which were corrected by switching JVC HDMI inputs back and forth or ejecting and reloading a disc. Just wondering if a better cable would get around this issue. I have a un-terminated cat5 draw cable running thru my ceiling, hope that will make running the cable easy.

yes the cable glitches had me thinking. I do wonder if different discs push differently with bit rate and such with their menus etc. as why might work on one drop out on next and such. curious. was thinking of suggesting to kazz not to run the cable just as yet either get some discs under the belt post update but with hers she is running via the avr which might help. but then yours is also a shorter cable at 7.5m .... each situation seems so different with this hdmi stuff it seems ! 

yes the cable glitches had me thinking. I do wonder if different discs push differently with bit rate and such with their menus etc. as why might work on one drop out on next and such. curious. was thinking of suggesting to kazz not to run the cable just as yet either get some discs under the belt post update but with hers she is running via the avr which might help. but then yours is also a shorter cable at 7.5m .... each situation seems so different with this hdmi stuff it seems ! 

The cable I have now is a 10m Jaycar active/directional cable. I will buy a Kordz 7.5m like yours if glitches continue.

When checking my Harmony setting before I noticed my Projector was in there as a DLA-X700r... as there probably wasn't a 7000 profile in the Harmony database at that time. Anyway, have now updated the device setting so hopefully HDMI switching will work as intended even though I suspects they are all the same codes...

• Volunteer

with regards the process to upgrade, I've added in links to jvc docs and the main page, though quite likely have found them already  if have downloaded the needed files, anyways have put them in for future reference :D

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/97059-jvc-redux-jvcs-dla-x7000-4k-e-shift-projector-an-end-user-perspective/?p=1616413

the jvc note on doing the upgrade is to be followed exactly though there is an obvious glitch and a dangerous one and this procedure done incorrectly can brick your unit.

the essential step is to ensure you have unplugged the projector of everything to start with  INCLUDING the power cable (the procedure incorrectly says wiht exception of the power cable).... and that you wait till all its lights go off.

from then on follow the procedure with running stuff on your laptop with the upgrade cable connected to the laptop. only then hook up the upgrade cable to the JVC and then plug the jvc in as per the procedure and follow the rest to conclusion.

it is a really easy procedure just follow the steps keeping in mind their power cable confusion and you will be right 

with regards loading the color profile I would suggest hookup both your laptop and the jvc to your router. dont try to hook the jvc direct to your laptop or all the other network gymkhana they go on about. with both hooked to the network (i.e. the first suggested procedure) will find all works a treat 

after that suggest setting the contrast +7 and +3 for user picture mode for uhd on the sammy and if have  sony uhd disc do the 10x trick with regards setting up for HDR have posted about previously. if dont have that not a biggee likely will still look pretty good :)

I'm glad you mentioned about the power cable as I would have followed JVC's instructions.  :emot-bang:    :ohmy:

I have an ethernet point in the ceiling above the PJ so that's not an issue.  :D

Actually I'm thinking I may leave the cable running around the room for a bit longer yet until I throw a few more discs at it and see how it goes, although that means not being able to torture the tall, lanky one yet.   :P   Mind you he'll be happy to be able to procrastinate a little longer.  :P

The cable I have now is a 10m Jaycar active/directional cable. I will buy a Kordz 7.5m like yours if glitches continue.

When checking my Harmony setting before I noticed my Projector was in there as a DLA-X700r... as there probably wasn't a 7000 profile in the Harmony database at that time. Anyway, have now updated the device setting so hopefully HDMI switching will work as intended even though I suspects they are all the same codes...

I have a theory with the Harmony, I think that it's sending the input change signal to the PJ straight after the power on signal and I don't think that the PJ is far enough through it's start up to receive the signal or do anything with it.  I can't add a delay into the setup for the input change but I have an idea that may work, just need to test it first. :unsure:   If it works I'll let you know.   :D

Edited by Kazz

I'm glad you mentioned about the power cable as I would have followed JVC's instructions.  :emot-bang:    :ohmy:

I have an ethernet point in the ceiling above the PJ so that's not an issue.  

Actually I'm thinking I may leave the cable running around the room for a bit longer yet until I throw a few more discs at it and see how it goes, although that means not being able to torture the tall, lanky one yet.   :P   Mind you he'll be happy to be able to procrastinate a little longer.  

I have a theory with the Harmony, I think that it's sending the input change signal to the PJ straight after the power on signal and I don't think that the PJ is far enough through it's start up to receive the signal or do anything with it.  I can't add a delay into the setup for the input change but I have an idea that may work, just need to test it first.   If it works I'll let you know.  

yeah its an obvious glitch when look back on it as says to unplug everything wiht exception of the power cable...and then after hooking up the upgrade cable it says to plug in the ac cord.... right ... :D and has caught a few out overseas, including some who havent waited long enough wiht the power unplugged till all the lights have gone out.

geez you were thinking ahead with the ethernet point ! hehe

if can live a bit with cable not run I would. I did the same ran every disc I had through with the cable made sure whole thing worked in use before running through walls and under the house. wasnt easy running my cable either so glad I did as not something want to do too often :D

you guys are ahead of me wiht the harmony. I leave my projector switching via its remote. i suppose mainly because its secondary display only used for movies big screen events and such :) but sounds like you guys will have it working pretty seamlessly :)

I have a theory with the Harmony, I think that it's sending the input change signal to the PJ straight after the power on signal and I don't think that the PJ is far enough through it's start up to receive the signal or do anything with it.  I can't add a delay into the setup for the input change but I have an idea that may work, just need to test it first. :unsure:   If it works I'll let you know.   :D

Yeah, I've already tried adding a delay but can't added the input selection a 2nd time. Might be a call to support to get custom coding...