JVC Redux, JVC's DLA-X7000 4K E-shift projector - an end user perspective

...and a wonderful movie to boot...I got a lot out of it.  :)

sure was kaynin, really quite enjoyed again this one !

so I've reported the jvc x7000 doing a pretty reasonable job earlier with some fairly recent/decent material on netflix...but how does it go on FTA TV with probably the worst of the worst...am talking the new 7flix broadcast with its bit starved SD. We ended up watching the "lost valentine" movie last night on the kuro and it passable there...so I thought since recorded on the TiVo Id check out on the x7000. 

below are probably a couple of scenes that didnt fair so well...

24893702883_4740f85def_h.jpg

25401871222_73ff5461de_h.jpg

in the first shot there was a bit of visible artefacts and the second one is pretty soft lacking wiht not much detail at all

these two scenes faired a lot better, but still pretty soft on the detail

25494269056_cbf767ef34_h.jpg

25401925132_62e6d10262_h.jpg

overall great colour rendition though, but yeah for something like 7flix and I'd suggest this isn't even SD or if SD its very very bit starved. I watch at slightly above 2.5x screen heights too so anyone watching from closer than that it would be artefact city I suspect. so no matter what processing the jvc has it aint going to help low res bit starved material such as this.

Did watch Bridge of Spies today on blu-ray though... and that was a bit of a treat indeed, only got a couple of shots,

24890002314_9ac9cc0cee_h.jpg

24893839593_382de3723f_h.jpg

this reminded me of book thief, obviously film source wiht a little grain and gorgeous natural colours. and like book thief the jvc showed off what it can do with mix of light and dark lit scenes. Some very good detail as well. I read though it was film it used a 4k intermediate which might explain the quality of source. maybe one that will also be interesting to see how comes though on the jvc with uhd blu-ray :)

if wanting a knock out picture to watch and if like london gangster flicks, not sure if seen legend ? we watched yesterday. just smidgeon off say lucy or oblivion in PQ but goodness it looked so clean clear pristine, feast for the eyes pure eye candy :D

25520613855_7049981e6d_h.jpg

25520631125_5347a6736f_h.jpg

25520650945_21ea8f3726_h.jpg

25520671305_327327a949_h.jpg

checking its tech info looks like was made on ARI 3.4k so will be another being of beyond 2k source to see what potential benefit uhd blu-ray might bring to.

ps one of my favourite films of 2015, just turned up in UHD :D  blu-ray :D

25576676156_e2a1206969_b.jpg

again wish I had a player to check it out ! 

this film I suspect will be very interesting to check out as well. extremes of dark and bright scenes high punch colours and contrasty pictures....along wiht the challenges of HDR :)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

What are you using as your disc player ?  

What re are you sending to the JVC X7000..... 1080P or upscaled 4K?

Just curious as i am using the Pioneer BDP LX88  ...currently sending 1080P to my JVC X7000 , but not sure if 4K /60 would be better?

Thanks..

What are you using as your disc player ?  

What re are you sending to the JVC X7000..... 1080P or upscaled 4K?

Just curious as i am using the Pioneer BDP LX88  ...currently sending 1080P to my JVC X7000 , but not sure if 4K /60 would be better?

Thanks..

@@wooferocau didnt realise you were a x7000 blood brother :D welcome to the family hehe

am using the cambridge 752bd. and no I dont upscale to 4k or anything ... I just send 1080p to the jvc and lets its e shift 4 do its thing :)

• Like 1

@@wooferocau didnt realise you were a x7000 blood brother :D welcome to the family hehe

am using the cambridge 752bd. and no I dont upscale to 4k or anything ... I just send 1080p to the jvc and lets its e shift 4 do its thing :)

@@betty boop   Thanks....

Yep X7000 is a brilliant projector...VERY happy with it. :thumb:

Heres some pics of my setup.. http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/98463-woofers-dual-purpose-roomduntech-sovereign-krell-manley-labs-jvc/

• Like 1

@@betty boop   Thanks....

Yep X7000 is a brilliant projector...VERY happy with it. :thumb:

Heres some pics of my setup.. http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/98463-woofers-dual-purpose-roomduntech-sovereign-krell-manley-labs-jvc/

brilliant setup indeed there woofer. intriguing projector mount there. great to hear you are pleased with the x7000. ps maybe a touch ripe in the colours ? not sure played wiht settings there at all, as per earlier in the thread I found with THX preset and with just a slight bit of adjustment utilising the wow disney disc and a light meter it comes up top notch. enough anyways to take through to calibration which am hoping to get done when I get to 200-300 hours. am only at about 65 hours still hehe so months away at this rate :)

ps great pickup in the pioneer. looks like a gorgeous player.

watching the martian in 3D...been wanting to watch this movie again and this time did in 3D. really adds so well another dimension. 3D really is so well done on a movie like this and with the jvc...it just draws you in further...added to the enjoyment factor. am very pleased with my simple tweaking on settings for 3D as well nothing detracts not overripe in colours and output is plenty even wiht being on low lamp. I can confidently say while 3D on previous jvcs have still left a touch wanting...on this new range it is now instead a leading feature. great to see new release movies being brought out in 3D. I watched with DTS-X and neural X to up mix to 3D audio as well which was a rare treat

watching the martian in 3D...been wanting to watch this movie again and this time did in 3D. really adds so well another dimension. 3D really is so well done on a movie like this and with the jvc...it just draws you in further...added to the enjoyment factor. am very pleased with my simple tweaking on settings for 3D as well nothing detracts not overripe in colours and output is plenty even wiht being on low lamp. I can confidently say while 3D on previous jvcs have still left a touch wanting...on this new range it is now instead a leading feature. great to see new release movies being brought out in 3D. I watched with DTS-X and neural X to up mix to 3D audio as well which was a rare treat

Love this film. Must have been very impressive in 3D.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

while I've bee enjoying films with 3D audio of late, movie got to check out yesterday in crimson peak I found very stunning picture quality wise,

a period setting wiht some lovely costumes, some lovely dark scenes for the jvc to do its magic with blacks, an interesting cast in a lot of scenes as though candle lit, but lovely detail, simply gorgeous.... a bit of a taste in screen shots below,

26252533732_d343a68c18_b.jpg

26072075590_38814cfd29_b.jpg

25740112134_6937aaacb2_b.jpg

25742249633_8a0a439fd1_b.jpg

such a beautiful film. with lovely pictures combined with an amazing 3D audio sound track really quite an experience :)

while I've bee enjoying films with 3D audio of late, movie got to check out yesterday in crimson peak I found very stunning picture quality wise,

a period setting wiht some lovely costumes, some lovely dark scenes for the jvc to do its magic with blacks, an interesting cast in a lot of scenes as though candle lit, but lovely detail, simply gorgeous.... a bit of a taste in screen shots below,

26252533732_d343a68c18_b.jpg

26072075590_38814cfd29_b.jpg

25740112134_6937aaacb2_b.jpg

25742249633_8a0a439fd1_b.jpg

such a beautiful film. with lovely pictures combined with an amazing 3D audio sound track really quite an experience :)

I bought the x7000 on Saturday. Its an amazing projector. I love having the motorised lens shift. We watched Star wars tonight and loved it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts if it wasnt for this thread I wouldnt have bought it. Cheers

31d040f3b74ecb68414d164431ca68b1.jpg17f4925864167c8f05f21c86ced7915f.jpgb55cfddc8bad021b6710233674febdf0.jpg23bb152a68c3288b57b42c100b9b83a1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

• Like 2

thats great to hear @@Hatlesschimp that picked one these up. have no doubt be the crowning glory in your setup. it really is such an awesome thing in image it creates which is pretty central I think to the whole movie experience.

haha love it with the star wars paddle pop and that enjoyed star wars. have picked up a copy myself. people are saying great things of the picture quality being reference and a sound track to match so cant wait to check out myself. 

am so tempted too...to check out the entire star wars series...though buggered if can think of what order to watch in given this new release :D

thats great to hear @@Hatlesschimp that picked one these up. have no doubt be the crowning glory in your setup. it really is such an awesome thing in image it creates which is pretty central I think to the whole movie experience.

haha love it with the star wars paddle pop and that enjoyed star wars. have picked up a copy myself. people are saying great things of the picture quality being reference and a sound track to match so cant wait to check out myself.

am so tempted too...to check out the entire star wars series...though buggered if can think of what order to watch in given this new release :D

My wife and I watched them 2 years ago in the proper chronological order. And getting past the 90s 2000s movies were hard.

Yeah the movies is fantastic. I wish it had more bass and Kylo Rens voice was deeper from the centre channel.

new reference film alert ! mr holmes...wow jaw dropping picture quality such lovely natural scenes. beautifully filmed and so much detail. gorgeous :)

+1. 

I have a copy and watched it on the weekend after your heads up.  A beautifully filmed movie, just fantastic to watch.  A good flick as well, so definitely worth the investment.  :)

My wife and I watched them 2 years ago in the proper chronological order. And getting past the 90s 2000s movies were hard.

Yeah the movies is fantastic. I wish it had more bass and Kylo Rens voice was deeper from the centre channel.

The problem with chronological order is that one of the most famous twists in cinema history is spoilt. It is said you should watch Empire first, then watch the others in episode order so that the surprise is not wrecked for those fresh to the franchise.

The problem with chronological order is that one of the most famous twists in cinema history is spoilt. It is said you should watch Empire first, then watch the others in episode order so that the surprise is not wrecked for those fresh to the franchise.

I think the suggestion is to watch 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6.

hi hatless, yeah I watched the strong of them some years ago when the gift box of the entire series was included as a bonus when I bought my projector before last. thoroughly enjoyed. I do wonder having watched the entire series so far in original sequence what it would be like to watch in what would be like in story line chronological sequence....

or perhaps its better to watch as I know it ....in movie release chronological order :)

perhaps one of those questions to remain....

perhaps I should just watch this one as it is ...and then when the next installment comes...as it will then watch in some different order :D  

+1. 

I have a copy and watched it on the weekend after your heads up.  A beautifully filmed movie, just fantastic to watch.  A good flick as well, so definitely worth the investment.  :)

great you watched, managed to grab a copy kaynin and very much enjoyed. its just such a treat to the eyes movies these days and this one particularly a great example. my dad borrowed my copy  and finished watching last week and had similar thoughts :)

ps I managed to get a copy of warhorse. top movie...lovely pics and country side and gee audio wise too there is some lovely stuff there ! really puts you in the midst !  so thanks for the headsup .... I all the time feel we are so lucky to be able to enjoy stuff like this in the home in the quality they provide :)

• Like 1