Sign in to follow this  
Krispy Audio

Shunyata power products - this testimonial is hard to beat!

"The hospitals Shunyata Research has visited, including the Minneapolis Heart Hospital, have previously tried virtually every commercial product they could find, including power conditioners that used transformers, regenerators, chokes, coils or massive capacitors. None of these products worked, or they were found to be wildly inconsistent. In some cases they made the noise problems worse. Shunyata Research products are designed to be non-reactive, so their performance has been extremely consistent at each Hospital they have been applied in."

http://www.shunyata.com/images/press_release/shunyata_press_2015.pdf 

Edited by Krispy Audio

ahh yes, medical grade equiptment - designed to some of the best standards around... totally useless without a magic power cable :P

Just amended the url - should work now! 

My main motivation to post this article is to illustrate that Shunyata are a rare company who are completely transparent and explain/demonstrate how their cables and conditioners affect the signal. And to now be accepted into a medical environment which obviously requires faultless and consistent performance, they're a brand well worthy of consideration as part of your system! 

Just amended the url - should work now! 

My apologies, spoke too soon.

ahh yes, medical grade equiptment - designed to some of the best standards around... totally useless without a magic power cable :P

It's all about resolution - with equipment designed to some of the best standards around the world, they are equally if not more so susceptible to power line fluctuations. If they're improving resolution, they're potentially saving lives with improved abilities to interpret data. 

Hmm I've spent a bit of time in hospitals, in operating theatre's and normal patient rooms in various departments, and never once seen any fancy power cables. And this is at the GCUH, Australia's newest hospital. 

I'll have a look out for them again next week.

Hmm I've spent a bit of time in hospitals, in operating theatre's and normal patient rooms in various departments, and never once seen any fancy power cables. And this is at the GCUH, Australia's newest hospital. 

I'll have a look out for them again next week.

I never seen equipment like this in any hospital I have been visiting. Looks like something from the future. :)

Thanks.

I'll certainly consider them if I need to buy any medical grade equipment.

Honestly I can see why power conditioners and filter would be used, but super fancy cables? Not so much. However I would also expect that hospital power supply would be completely separate to the rest of the grid, so that if there was a failure, they would keep running or something. I'll keep an eye out next week.

Medical devices at hospitals all have in built filtering, noise suppression and power conditioning.

They are usually on a seperate substation from the rest of the grid and have back up generators that switch on automatically in the event of power loss.

As to any increase in resolution, I don't see how the input power could increase the amount a device can measure.

Especially when the signal gets converted from a high AC voltage to a lower DC voltage.

The switch mode power supplies in these things would generate more noise than any cable could possibly reduce.

Put it this way, do you think a 20 million dollar state of the art MRI machine is making compromises on its power lead to save $200?

This testimony is from an American hospital, so their power may not be as clean/stable as ours?

Do I think hospitals might be cost-cutting? Is that a trick question?

Anyway just posting the article, I thought it was refreshing for a cable company to post not just marketing descriptions, but actual results (plenty of data testing available on Shunyata) and industry testimony. 

Typically speaking American power is usually cleaner than ours.

The AC waveform in Australia is packed full of noise.

That's almost irrelevant though because most reasonable sized hospitals have their own substations.

Regarding cost cutting - it's not the hospital, it's the MRI manufacturer GE or Philips. The power cable comes supplied with these products :P and no, I don't think Philips is trying to save $200 on a power cable that has measurable results on a $20 million machine.

The problem is, the data and testing is all from the manufacturer and comes with a pretty clear bias.

A more critical analysis of the claims reveals that some of them are pretty far fetched, I'd go as far as to suggest that these are all still, as you call it, 'marketing descriptions'

So these cables will make my system sound clinical and sterile?

Might give them a miss then

The word "Shunyata" is Sandscrit for emptiness or a void.

I have to wonder if/assume they are laughing at audiophools while lifting their wallets.

People dont like marketing - people dont like ACTUAL results. everybody who posted in here did so because what? you feel the need to make fun of this company and the products it makes?

This is one company who constantly puts its testing out there for everyone which seems to be exactly what everyone is asking for and is still constantly berated

edit - it never even mentions that it was just shunyatas cables that were used like most people seem to be commenting on. their range of power conditioners are excellent.

Edited by BaileyAV

Results? What a load of codswallop - it's his opinion of 3 procedures (if I read it correctly) - it's not scientific testing and there are no valid "results" I could see - marketing pure and simple - just like rob the dentist whose face they can't show you on TV :-)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EylnYqXPG04

Would be interesting to see the results using just the conditioner or just the cables, as opposed to using both and calling it a system.

The implication of poo-poo-ing Dr. Melby's testimonial is that he's lying, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No - the implication is that he is working with a crappy installation.

A quick search in pubmed reveals no publications.

This does not mean that he is not good at his job.

There are multiple sources of interference in an EP lab but electrical installation noise is not a feature in an Australian standard EP lab.

Kevin

i dont know if you are on the shunyata yay or nay camp (you dont make it obvious) but most people in that thread says his gear works? 

Edited by BaileyAV