De Niro

He used to inhabit his roles totally. He would put on weight and lose weight and all the rest of the Method acting style. When you are young that would be possible but at his age he has had to change his approach and style. He ain't no Raging Bull anymore.

I see him  as a character actor now, not that there is anything wrong with that

Edited by Saxon Hall

He really steals the show on "American Hustle", even though he's there a few minutes only.

Respectfully...I couldn't disagree more.

It felt like "Let's get that guy from The Godfather and have him be all mafia and stuff"

In my eyes, all DeNiro has done in the past......15 or so years, is appear on screen, pull the "DeNiro" face which nowadays seems to apply to being happy, disgusted, angry, in pain and just about every other expression of emotion.

He's become a caricature of himself, just like Tom Cruise and whether he's just in it for the money or so far up his own klakka he thinks no matter what he does people will love him, I am not amused.

He used to be one of my favourite actors but nowadays I cringe whenever I see him.

And I hate it, but that's how I feel....

Other oldies who (to an extent) rely on the same formula or play the same character, like Pacino, Rutger Hauer, Donald Sutherland and Anthony Hopkins (Come on, they're great but have been pulling the same faces for 40 years) still interest me though.

Dunno why I'm so over DeNiro.

Maybe it's all the cheesy comedies etc....

Oh how the great has fallen

*sigh*

:(

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

The context would refer to his latest film. Bad Grandpa (or something like that) in which he plays an old man in search of young p**sy. Universally reviled, this film seems to have Bobby Milk at his nadir in respect to his career. He's an intelligent, thoughtful actor but, as much as I love a lot of his work, he seems to simply not care now. His recent work has been patchy but his acting in Silver Linings Playbook was a delight. At the end of the day, he has nothing to prove, he can do what he wants now but, I'd love him to sink his teeth into something worthy of his capabilities. Let's hope the rumoured gangster flick from Scorcese with DeNiro is more than just a rumour... Now THAT I'd love to see.

It was the 70's when he was great as were a lot of directors actors and writers

I sometimes think that it was the writers who were the real stars of movie making then

Almost no body in the movie or Rockne roll business survived for long into the 80's with their artistic abilities intact

There arn't a lot of great movies now like there were in the 70's probably because of economic demands and scripts

There are still a lot good actors though

. At the end of the day, he has nothing to prove, he can do what he wants now .

Dunno what you mean by that, Mack.....

Has nothing to prove?

So...do a handful of great movies and then disappear in to the Rom-Com/straight-to-video bin?

Unfortunately, that seems to work, as any movie "Featuring Robert DeNiro" regardless of the role, will get attention and sell, but if he has "given up" on trying to do something more serious than The Fokkers and being in Adam Sandler movies or whatever he's up to, I think it's pretty sad.

Just had a look at IMDb to see what he's been up to, and I can safely say that Sleepers (1996) was the last decent role I saw him in.

Ok and he was amusing in Machete, but a lot of people could have played that role, really.

:unsure:

I just googled De Niro and the majority of results seem to be about how awful this grampa movie is...

Clicked on the first one and that says pretty much what we've all ben saying in this thread so far

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/movies/leigh-paatsch/onetime-great-robert-de-niros-career-slide-hits-rock-bottom-with-the-rancid-dirty-grandpa/news-story/c4b7e6c33cd80214e3c71f0f0c58a364

:unsure:

Nobody watches Italian mafia flicks nowadays that's probably why.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well he could probably do something else, surely.....?

Maybe not...

Who knows.

Just seems odd.

Taxi driver anyone?

Coming up: Robert DeNiro stars in UBER Driver in a last attempt to save his career and reprise his role as the.....

Oh forget it.

He's dead to me

:rolleyes:

Well he could probably do something else, surely.....?

Maybe not...

Who knows.

Just seems odd.

Unlike some folks here I see nothing too odd about it. He probably just wants to take it easy and have fun. Everyone knows he can act if he wants to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unlike some folks here I see nothing too odd about it. He probably just wants to take it easy and have fun. Everyone knows he can act if he wants to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough.

Just seems like a waste of talent to me

:)

Respectfully...I couldn't disagree more.

It felt like "Let's get that guy from The Godfather and have him be all mafia and stuff"

In my eyes, all DeNiro has done in the past......15 or so years, is appear on screen, pull the "DeNiro" face which nowadays seems to apply to being happy, disgusted, angry, in pain and just about every other expression of emotion.

He's become a caricature of himself, just like Tom Cruise and whether he's just in it for the money or so far up his own klakka he thinks no matter what he does people will love him, I am not amused.

He used to be one of my favourite actors but nowadays I cringe whenever I see him.

And I hate it, but that's how I feel....

Other oldies who (to an extent) rely on the same formula or play the same character, like Pacino, Rutger Hauer, Donald Sutherland and Anthony Hopkins (Come on, they're great but have been pulling the same faces for 40 years) still interest me though.

Dunno why I'm so over DeNiro.

Maybe it's all the cheesy comedies etc....

Oh how the great has fallen

*sigh*

:(

Fair call... Good arguing!

I haven't watched any of his feature movies for a couple of years to be honest, except Silver Linings and the part in American Hustle. The movie with Rocky was a waste, but hey, familiar faces, nothing I'd pay for.

I was surprised at his appearance in American Hustle, didn't know he was in it, so it was a nice surprise, I still reckon he did a scary job!

But I have to admit as well as the rest, I do not watch a movie only because de Niro is in it anymore. Same with Pacino and the like.

Fair call... Good arguing!

I haven't watched any of his feature movies for a couple of years to be honest, except Silver Linings and the part in American Hustle. The movie with Rocky was a waste, but hey, familiar faces, nothing I'd pay for.

I was surprised at his appearance in American Hustle, didn't know he was in it, so it was a nice surprise, I still reckon he did a scary job!

But I have to admit as well as the rest, I do not watch a movie only because de Niro is in it anymore. Same with Pacino and the like.

I'll watch anything wit Hopkins or Hauer in it.....

I read an article about when they were filming "The world's fastest Indian".

Hopkins was so convincing that Burt Munro's daughter and/or grandchildren started crying when they saw him on set.

:)

i think he is one of those actors that can save the movie, you know the movie is bad or not just good enough but since he's in it, its watchable. i enjoyed the Intern, and quite few good ones also for the past few years.