Sign in to follow this  
Tubularbells

The church's new layout

3 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

New Ashly amp on the way (MFA-8000). Bit of an unknown as there's practically zero info anymore but am lucky that a fellow member here @knight2001dts is mates with the designer who posed the question whether these would be adequate to drive the Sov's. His response cracked me up.

Hope you dont mind me posting here bloke.

"

Hi Ian,

Good to hear from you again, my friend! I hope all is well dow-nunda! I seem to hear quite a bit from your fellow countrymen these days. That’s a good thing, we like you guys!

OK, here’s the thing. MFA-800, ferocious amplifier! Huge, massive, brute power, (way beyond what it says on paper). With such a vast reservoir of headroom, the amp will most assuredly impress with a perception of higher highs, lower lows, “middier” mids and spatial depth. The guy will love the amp, the amp will drive those speakers for all they are worth.

The AC voltage configuration is similar to the FTX, except there are two separate power supplies. Details attached.

I can supply schematics if you truly need them, but don’t do anything to disable the HF limit. It will never ever kick in with any kind of audio waveform signal source. The only time I have ever had it engage on my amplifier was when there was some form of ultrasonic parasitic oscillation, (unstable DI box in need of a ground, or some crappy effects box that was spitting out garbage along with the waveform, and a lot of gain added between source and amp). For home hi-fi, it will never trip. Nor would you want to pass the amplitude of continuous HF waveform required to trip this protection to your speakers if it ever did. Anything in that box operating from 12KHz and up could never handle the full output amplitude of this amp.

But more importantly the ultra-high frequency content could actually damage the amplifier if left unaddressed. This being a bipolar transistor amplifier, it doesn’t have the 100KHz bandwidth capability of the MOSFET amps. Junction capacitance, junction storage current, modulated switching rails not keeping up, etc. If you bypass the HF limit, then the HF protect will kick in when needed, if you bypass the HF protect, the amp will destroy itself should a bad situation ever occur. And, all the HF drivers in his new $6,500.00 speakers will go up in flames along with it. 

received_433766030648778.jpeg

received_779479375846371.jpeg

received_791907131236937.jpeg

received_817271572106610.jpeg

received_1143181825887310.jpeg

2 ohm stable at 1500 watts.... yeah that should be able to keep the Duntechs honest !! :D 

Sounds like you’re hooking the Sovs into a Nuclear Reactor. Gulp! But then the Krell was capable of 1.2kw into 4 ohms and the CPs seemed to enjoy that. I think the big Sovs will lap this up. 🤘

Amp wars.....FTX2001 Vs. MFA8000 (which needs a LOT of work to bring back to its prime)

20191213_171642.jpg

25 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Desecration of the church!

No end of of repairs in sight....

20191214_091129.jpg

trying to get some ashleys and benchmarks to mate or sometime :D might end up with some Bentleys  Benchleys :D 

ps I see a jvc projector beached belly up in the midst as well so who knows whats going on in there :D 

4 minutes ago, betty boop said:

trying to get some ashleys and benchmarks to mate or sometime :D might end up with some Bentleys  Benchleys :D 

ps I see a jvc projector beached belly up in the midst as well so who knows whats going on in there :D 

Hahahaha yep. its a Frankenstein mix in there for sure!

Just now, Tubularbells said:

Hahahaha yep. its a Frankenstein mix in there for sure!

I reckon theres enough amps there and especially  with the projector for a full surround setup :D 

might even come together if left alone to "get on" with it :D

Bloody nice projector.. jeez you have good mates 😉

Now get to work on the Benchmarks first haha