The church's new layout

2 minutes ago, unclemack said:

I thought you rebuilt the, when you got em... or was that just a maintenance job? 

The ones I rebuilt were the FTX2001 Series 3's.  There were two which im now using as mono's (bridged) however since then I have found and purchased Ashly's highest power amp they  made (at that time) which is the one im working on now. the Ashly MFA8000 and yeah apparently the MFA  name is very apt for this product. ? 

I was always taught to play with my food and have found it also to be true with speakers. Keep on moving them around if you ever get sick of/tired of the sound. You never know if theirs a better sounding position unless you try....right?

image.thumb.png.6db825e8b54067d520cde72a8816e5d4.png

• Like 3

Just performed the voltage conversion on my MFA800 amp to see if it works before I begin the referb and am happy to say yes it does work and is a sledgehammer in terms of power compared to my FTX2001! One potential issue though is the RHS transformer hums louder than a swarm of bees so need to find a way at reducing that (any ideas welcomed)

image.thumb.png.3e6cb0a1a1a0e5466a1a84969f5fdb16.png

Edited by Tubularbells

Thanks gents as the hum is only occurring on one of the two trannies I suspect this is not DC related. Interestingly (or maybe not so much) is is coming from the side which was clearly dropped as it has a bent face plate so suspect it may have delaminated.

The amp comes with a captive cord so I need to swap out the plug at some point.

• Like 1

So after a few days of listening ive reluctantly concluded the speakers will remain in this position. I say reluctantly not due to the sound as like i mentioned earlier it just seems to give me more of everything but instead it does make the room look pretty crap with the speakers sitting nearly in  the middle of the room as well as being offset but the upside is that they are both well away from any hard reflective surfaces which is probably why im getting better sound.

20200222_075102.thumb.jpg.22ea7eb7122045a657ffb4eea37d9ea8.jpg

20200222_075122.thumb.jpg.9d56e0b183ff9a4105e89fc9711dea18.jpg

Also trying out some new speaker cables courtesy of a very generous SNA member.

20200222_075302.thumb.jpg.0f163552ef913ae55eceacbdaf882ce3.jpg

• Like 5

Inspired by your video and post I got my TOA amplifiers out. They have Hot Cold And Earth screw connectors. I altered an RCA to go hot and cold and then ran an earth wire somewhere. They sound pretty good, lots of power and space, maybe a little harsh but I haven't played around with it much.

Not too sure what I,m doing but I was wondering if you have any advice or if this is something worth pursuing.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jakeyb77
12 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Thanks @jakeyb77 for your generous donation giving me a pair of new amps. Your the best mate ? ? 

.....Sound great ?

20200308_190641.jpg

Least I can do for you mate. Enjoy ? 

Guest jakeyb77
10 minutes ago, metal beat said:

What are they TB?

Benchmark Vortex Monoblocks. Doug has been kind enough to re-cap them and bring a fresh life to them. 
They sound bloody good before so I’m keen to know now... 

Guest jakeyb77
On 14/02/2020 at 7:16 AM, Tubularbells said:

Yep am finally getting things started for the rebuild.

First, new power supply caps waiting to go in.

20200214_071131.jpg

I just zoomed in on the values ?

5 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

I just zoomed in on the values ?

Its a series/parallel deal so not as much as you might think. Maybe this approach was done back in the day to reduce ESR but all I know is it s a lot of caps to de-solder and re-solder being particularly difficult due to being a multilayered board (any tech would understand my grief here).