The church's new layout

59 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

let’s squash all this talk of balls and get back to seeing how the lovely Duntechs are! 

If those monsters ever fell on you whilst lying down in front of them

you would most certainly have squashed balls.

Edited by kab

3 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Maybe its partly because its the type of sound ive been accustomed to these past years (rightly or wrongly) but I cannot get enough of that huge wall of sound  when up close and personal to the Sov's. Everything's so intimate & immense at the same time!!!!

Do you hug them sometimes? btw not judging...

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

As stated earlier the room boom that was heard when you approached the back of the room has now all but disappeared (win!) however im still gravitating towards a near field listening position for some reason contrary to conventional wisdom.

Maybe its partly because its the type of sound ive been accustomed to these past years (rightly or wrongly) but I cannot get enough of that huge wall of sound  when up close and personal to the Sov's. Everything's so intimate & immense at the same time!!!!

Weird huh.

Nah not #weird at all, how far away exactly are they when you say near field?

My speakers are hardly small and work well from around 2 5m.

Like you love that immersive wall

of sound!?

# edit totally weirded by hugging! ?

Edited by evil c
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, frednork said:

indeed! best to keep it to yourself. People would never understand...

I understand.  Hmmm, best I shut up.

Great to finally be coming out the other side though Doug.

Edited by Red MacKay
more chatter
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Red MacKay said:

I understand.  Hmmm, best I shut up.

Great to finally be coming out the other side though Doug.

Cheers Red. on wards and upwards as they say...

3 minutes ago, evil c said:

Nah not weird at all, how far away exactly are they when you say near field?

My speakers are hardly small and work well from around 2 5m.

Like you love that immersive wall of sound!,?

Yeah im at approx 2.5m back with the speakers being about the same apart.  Physically having to move your head up and down to capture the height of the speakers at this distance is still a bit weird for me.

• Like 2

Guest jakeyb77
11 minutes ago, evil c said:are they when you say near field?

edit totally weirded by hugging! 

I’m gonna hug you more. You need to face your fears. 

*anyone have access to industrial size Dettol? 

• 2 weeks later...

So now I can post a pic of yesterday's progress. bought some "1200mm x 2400mm acoustic pinboard" from Bunnings and laminated two 9mm pieces together using spray adhesive.

Has eliminated flutter echo  from the open end considerably and was well worthwhile for the money spent.

received_429395504388153.jpeg

received_2725103731049798.jpeg

20191115_152129.jpg

Edited by Tubularbells
  • Like 9

Spare amp (Ashly FTX 2001 Series3) arrived today from sunny California landed for about $300AU This was intended as a donor for spares but opening it up it appears unused. These are a bargain IMO for the sound quality Vs. $$ spent.

received_434902320758269.jpeg

received_2154660984841388.jpeg

received_1322390611282142.jpeg

received_590199735086011.jpeg

• Like 3

Guest jakeyb77
7 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Spare amp (Ashly FTX 2001 Series3) arrived today from sunny California landed for about $300AU This was intended as a donor for spares but opening it up it appears unused. These are a bargain IMO for the sound quality Vs. $$ spent.

received_434902320758269.jpeg

received_2154660984841388.jpeg

received_1322390611282142.jpeg

received_590199735086011.jpeg

Not enough capacitors!!!!! ?
Your hungry monsters are sucking the PSU dry. 

Edited by jakeyb77

• 2 weeks later...

New Ashly amp on the way (MFA-8000). Bit of an unknown as there's practically zero info anymore but am lucky that a fellow member here @knight2001dts is mates with the designer who posed the question whether these would be adequate to drive the Sov's. His response cracked me up.

Hope you dont mind me posting here bloke.

"

Hi Ian,

Good to hear from you again, my friend! I hope all is well dow-nunda! I seem to hear quite a bit from your fellow countrymen these days. That’s a good thing, we like you guys!

OK, here’s the thing. MFA-800, ferocious amplifier! Huge, massive, brute power, (way beyond what it says on paper). With such a vast reservoir of headroom, the amp will most assuredly impress with a perception of higher highs, lower lows, “middier” mids and spatial depth. The guy will love the amp, the amp will drive those speakers for all they are worth.

The AC voltage configuration is similar to the FTX, except there are two separate power supplies. Details attached.

I can supply schematics if you truly need them, but don’t do anything to disable the HF limit. It will never ever kick in with any kind of audio waveform signal source. The only time I have ever had it engage on my amplifier was when there was some form of ultrasonic parasitic oscillation, (unstable DI box in need of a ground, or some crappy effects box that was spitting out garbage along with the waveform, and a lot of gain added between source and amp). For home hi-fi, it will never trip. Nor would you want to pass the amplitude of continuous HF waveform required to trip this protection to your speakers if it ever did. Anything in that box operating from 12KHz and up could never handle the full output amplitude of this amp.

But more importantly the ultra-high frequency content could actually damage the amplifier if left unaddressed. This being a bipolar transistor amplifier, it doesn’t have the 100KHz bandwidth capability of the MOSFET amps. Junction capacitance, junction storage current, modulated switching rails not keeping up, etc. If you bypass the HF limit, then the HF protect will kick in when needed, if you bypass the HF protect, the amp will destroy itself should a bad situation ever occur. And, all the HF drivers in his new $6,500.00 speakers will go up in flames along with it. 

received_433766030648778.jpeg

received_779479375846371.jpeg

received_791907131236937.jpeg

received_817271572106610.jpeg

received_1143181825887310.jpeg

Edited by Tubularbells
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, betty boop said:

I can imagine why the model number is MFA :D

congrats on The new beast !

Ha not the first to mention the model names abbreviation. It will be interesting to hear as this amp as this was a s good as it it got for the company before the onset switching class D took over. Theres some quite clever tech involved in the manufacture of this amp.

• Like 1