The church's new layout

13 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

I have Painkiller on CD, you can have it if you like Tubey.

Haven't heard a good copy of painkiller yet. Whether it be on Vinyl or CD they all sound incredibly thin. I have numerous pressings of both medium.

The best sounding JP record/cd is Sad Wings of Destiny, the original Gull LP or the Japanese CD. Honorably mention to Stained Class.

• Like 3

Thanks mate but i aint' got no CD player to play it...lol

Would love it on Vinyl though. 

I've got a spare Meridian CDP you can borrow TB. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

So a bit of an update in the house of the un-holy.  I finally got my wish in obtaining a Rega P9 which I have lusted over ever since getting back into vinyl around 2010 when I picked up a Rega P5 so the BEAST that was the Trans Rotor has gone on a permanent vacation to the west (but happily remains in the SNA family) and the P9 is in situ.

To be honest it was a bit of a struggle initially getting used to a super lightweight table again in terms of tactile feel however one thing I was shocked about from the get go was its ability to isolate from external vibration as this thing sits a mere few inches away from a speaker housing 2 x 15" drivers and I can crank well past 110 db's  (the limit of my sound pressure app) without any feedback whatsoever which is a feat my 30kg Trans-Rotor couldn't manage without the assistance of some sorbothane feet so well done Rega!

However all was not perfect and at pretty silly volumes I was detecting a glare or hardness of the upper midrange so although feedback wasn't an issue there was still some clear sound degradation going on but this has since been rectified with some amazing SYMPOSIUM ROLLERBLOCKS i picked up from a member (cheers @balk2117here last week.

My table also came with a reportedly very low hour (aren't they all) Ortofon Jubilee which initially I wasn't fond of being hardly surprising given the fact of my utter dislike of the Cadenza Black but yesterday I spent a good few hours getting the alignment absolutely spot on but perhaps just as important the azimuth using my Fozgometer  and found that I needed quite a bit of tilt to the left to get the channel balance spot on the result of which was an extended listening session for as long as the rest of the family could endure well into the night and I gotta say it probably the best my system has ever sounded. Record after record was thrown on to which I was in utter amazement  the cavernous soundstage, detail and impact that was often quite a scary experience (yeah it was a bit loud). 

Happy days indeed....

IMG_2081.JPG

IMG_2086.JPG

IMG_2084.JPG

IMG_2085.JPG

Edited by Tubularbells
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, jdog said:

so whats the new amp going to be? :)

Dunno mate, Frankly a bit burnt out from all the swaparoonies of late. One half of me is saying stop all this nonsense and just get something decent as if I had to take a hard look at myself im not really an audiophile and certainly the majority of the music I enjoy isn't "audiophile' recorded so maybe something like a Shiit Freya and a couple of Vidars would do the trick and leave me with some cash in  my pocket.

Otherwise something retro like the new Luxman 590AX2 might work or maybe back to some tube gear again. 

Hello Tubular Bells.

That full valve system of Earl's that was up for sale would fit the bill in my opinion .

18 Watts of 300b can change your life. I know you played about with 845s before but it is a different kettle of fish. My little Audion Silver Night PSE  300b amps wipe the floor compared with my old Cary 805 Anniversaries  which ran 845s or 211s. Every bit as ballsy, far more detail, quicker ,fuller ,  more holographic and more engaging.

They drive Yamaha NS1000s hard and are the best amps I ever heard on Klipsch Horns. They would love those big JBLs. Little 8 and 9 Watt SETs just don't have the kahunas but once you parallel them or for your tastes push pull they take on a new personality. Kate Bush will make you weep and Daft Punk will rock. A great amp makes everything better, not just some things.

Bass is full, toms and bongos have the tone of the skin. Even better matched with a good powered sub for a bit of real heft. I think k,k kenny fell hard for what 300b's in this configuration can do. Maybe you demand more drive and very high SPLs but  I find engagement comes at realistic (loud!) volumes, not crazy ones.

I guess the other valve option is to match the JBLs with the type of valve amps they  traditionally were driven by, 6L6 ,6550, EL 34 based push pulls with a bit of grunt....Some fat old Lumley Mono Blocks could work.

I have owned this style of amp twice and both times I simply stopped buying gear once I got them.

The great thing is once you have a valve amp you can spend all your time and money swapping valves.

I am sure we all look forward to the next chapter in the Church......If you long to finish I hope you find the one. For me the one was the right amplifier, the rest then takes care of itself. Good luck!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

Hello Tubular Bells.

That full valve system of Earl's that was up for sale would fit the bill in my opinion .

18 Watts of 300b can change your life. I know you played about with 845s before but it is a different kettle of fish. My little Audion Silver Night PSE  300b amps wipe the floor compared with my old Cary 805 Anniversaries  which ran 845s or 211s. Every bit as ballsy, far more detail, quicker ,fuller ,  more holographic and more engaging.

They drive Yamaha NS1000s hard and are the best amps I ever heard on Klipsch Horns. They would love those big JBLs. Little 8 and 9 Watt SETs just don't have the kahunas but once you parallel them or for your tastes push pull they take on a new personality. Kate Bush will make you weep and Daft Punk will rock. A great amp makes everything better, not just some things.

Bass is full, toms and bongos have the tone of the skin. Even better matched with a good powered sub for a bit of real heft. I think k,k kenny fell hard for what 300b's in this configuration can do. Maybe you demand more drive and very high SPLs but  I find engagement comes at realistic (loud!) volumes, not crazy ones.

I guess the other valve option is to match the JBLs with the type of valve amps they  traditionally were driven by, 6L6 ,6550, EL 34 based push pulls with a bit of grunt....Some fat old Lumley Mono Blocks could work.

I have owned this style of amp twice and both times I simply stopped buying gear once I got them.

The great thing is once you have a valve amp you can spend all your time and money swapping valves.

I am sure we all look forward to the next chapter in the Church......If you long to finish I hope you find the one. For me the one was the right amplifier, the rest then takes care of itself. Good luck!

Thx.Ooogh consider me curious what system of Earls for sale are you referring too?

• Like 1

Of course.. 

Some do it with tubes, some with cables. Others do it with amps and speakers.

Edited by 322

59 minutes ago, Eggmeister said:

Of course.. 

Some do it with tubes, some with cables. Others do it with amps and speakers.

And some do it with all of the above, being the beneficiary of a very nice audioquest cable.