The church's new layout

Do you recall the meters redlining in Suresh's system

No, sorry - I took no notice at the time.

But, looking back at the pics I took, the meter in several of them is way over to the right as in your pic.  I did take a brief video, but the meter is out of focus.  I'm sure @@Stump would've had an eye on the meter and hopefully will chime in re his experience with this amp's meter behaviour.

I now run mine with a pre-amp and it was pointed out to me the LM 219 gauges red line when they should not!

The factory packing is very good so how you received the damage is anyone's guess.I upgraded the stock tubes straight away.Wait till you have played a range of music and let your head settle before you give a final opinion.A guy in Singapore runs the same horns as Tony with no problem.

Stump

• Volunteer

Left field idea .....

You rearranged your room yes? Is this the first time you've listened ... So new amp and unfamiliar room configuration?

Maybe try the zingers back where they were.

Before you do that though, just double check you haven't wired em up out of phase.

• Like 3

Did he tell you before you complained that he gave you some extra stuff in compensation for the damage?

And in regards to the new sound, whenever I set up new gear, it's always test to see if it works, then I switch it off till the next day, different mind set. I never listen with a new gear mindset.

Stump very kindly left his amp at my place for a few days after the GTG, and they worked very well with my Sonus Fabers in a large room.

The SFs are rated at 92dB, and certainly went very loud with the Line Magnetic ( and sounded very good, though I preferred my Moon solid-state pre/power) .

I can't recall if the meters were red lining with the SFs , but looking the photos from the GTG, they were very much to the right with the Ch1s. At no time did it sound like the amp was struggling.

Systems back in its original position for another test but still no joy....it's tearing me apart as this amp is AMAZING at anything lower than 90 db averages and if I were the pipe and slipper type this would be all I need however for me spending $9k on an amp that you cannot rock out with is just too much of a compromise so have spoken with the dealer who is working out an alternative purchase (DEQX perhaps)....not sure

Gee this hi-fi gig can be soul destroying at times...first world problems I guess.

post-122789-0-72171700-1454637581_thumb.

Did he tell you before you complained that he gave you some extra stuff in compensation for the damage?

And in regards to the new sound, whenever I set up new gear, it's always test to see if it works, then I switch it off till the next day, different mind set. I never listen with a new gear mindset.

Now that's willpower!!!!

• Like 3

Sadly this amps days are numbered and will be returning home in the next few days, Such an amazing sounding amp at low to moderate levels but just doesn't have the grunt to really make the Zingalis shine.

So let this be a valuable lesson which (once again) proves the fickle nature of audio gear and system matching. On paper these were a match made in heaven (24W SET driving 97db speakers) but either one of these manufacturer is telling porky's  or there is a real funky impedance curve with my speakers that requires a lot more drive than has been suggested.

On the upside, my trusty old Bladelius is returning which I know works well along with another VERY exciting piece of gear I have been wanting to try for a while.

post-122789-0-78086000-1454785754_thumb.

• Like 5

Systems back in its original position for another test but still no joy....it's tearing me apart as this amp is AMAZING at anything lower than 90 db averages and if I were the pipe and slipper type this would be all I need however for me spending $9k on an amp that you cannot rock out with is just too much of a compromise so have spoken with the dealer who is working out an alternative purchase (DEQX perhaps)....not sure

Gee this hi-fi gig can be soul destroying at times...first world problems I guess.

I had a similar experience with my Luxman SQ38. I thought it would suit my needs - took me ages to find one - only to find it thoroughly uninspiring...

I've lost count how many times I've chased and bought equipment that was far removed from the hype (and heaven forbid, on occasion, hype on this forum) and my own expectations.

Edited by 322

Interesting & Informative tubular.

I auditioned the Zingali's @ Puremusicgroup some time ago They were cleaner and more accurate than my Canterbury SE's. I still preferred the euphonic coloration of the Tannoys. The Zingalis have a simple crossover due to proper design of the horn. Active is an avenue I would seriously entertain with them. You could then use SE valves for the horn & something with a little more current for the bass/mid that from memory is a pro unit. Your issues with the line magnetic I find surprising. I hope it's a minor & not a serious caveat emptor issue.

I would hunt down an audio engineer with a network analyser to quantify exactly what is going on there.

• Like 1

Surprising yeah however as we all know the number of watts is only one part of the story. What I suspect is going on is the big 12" driver is dipping well below 8ohms at certain frequencies which is trying to pull more current than what the LM is comfortable with but  I would love to get someone around who knows this stuff better than I to determine exactly whats going on but regardless the amp is being returned this week and I will have my old amp back in service which has a much more capable 180W.

I own three amps a big ballsy Yam pro 175 watt rms beast An EL 34 pair of custom mono blocks @ around 100 wrms ea And another custom triode connected CV 40/60 based tube beast with around 14 wrms. Most of the time I use the Yam for casual listening. Each has a specific purpose & application. I went through many amps before settling on these three. Getting critical damping & synergy with a passive XO running to your speakers through the amp is the key to high fidelity. With the caveat that your room & source are taken as sorted. Not as easy as some might think. That's why most recording studios go active.