Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
catman

'Non Audiophile' records that sound particularly pleasant.

Recommended Posts

CHVRCHΞS - Every Open Eye

Crowded House - Crowded House

British India - Nothing Touches Me

Lionel Richie - Cant Slow Down

Mark Ronson - Uptown Special

The Prodigy - Their Law

Rage Against The Machine- Rage Against The Machine (not the new remastered version)

Rick James - Reflections

Tool - Undertow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FGTH: 'Welcome To The Pleasuredome'.post-154342-0-84090600-1471232435_thumb. This is a blast and a half.....great music and a great recording!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


hiatus kaiyote :choose your weapon

post-141248-0-00770900-1471855138.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recent purchase, '1984' by Eurythmics (1984-Starcall Victor label).....superb sounding recording and pressing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just played Duran Duran (self titled- first album). Maybe it's my new Grace Level II doing it's thing, but I've never heard this LP sound this good.....just brilliant! A quick shout out to 'Replicas'- Tubeway Army, which I'm playing now.....a great sounding recording (original Oz pressing).:thumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gee, I'm pulling out some good one's today.:P Playing Stan Ridgeway's 'The Big Heat' (?Oz Pressing-1986) for the first time in a long time and it is a beauty. The bass on 'Salesman' is truly phenomenal! Great recording all round.:thumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


11 hours ago, stevoz said:

Playing Stan Ridgeway's 'The Big Heat'

Yep, that's one awesome sounding record!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm back!:P Dug another LP out that I have not played for a long time (or on my 'newish' analogue set up) and that was 'The Man Machine' by Kraftwerk......WOW! What a great recording/production. That would probably go for any Kraftwerk LP. I have the CD 'The Mix' by Kraftwerk (remastered remixes) and thought that it sounded great, but the vinyl of 'The Man Machine' slays it bigtime! Fantastic!:thumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2016 at 2:27 PM, stevoz said:

Just played Duran Duran (self titled- first album). Maybe it's my new Grace Level II doing it's thing, but I've never heard this LP sound this good.....just brilliant! A quick shout out to 'Replicas'- Tubeway Army, which I'm playing now.....a great sounding recording (original Oz pressing).:thumb:

 

Not *just* the Grace...this is a hot recording. AUS pressing or any other.

The Aussie is a Don Bartley MAXICUT mastering...and you don't often get better than that locally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just another thought on this subject..................when I was a kid, I always wondered why the singles sounded better/different than the same tracks on an album.

(As we know.......I later found out that besides the extra speed and vinyl real estate...........they were mastered differently as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


8 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

Just another thought on this subject..................when I was a kid, I always wondered why the singles sounded better/different than the same tracks on an album.

(As we know.......I later found out that besides the extra speed and vinyl real estate...........they were mastered differently as well!

I never knew that. I always thought that albums would have had more effort put in on the production side, and that they would be the superior product. I'll have to spin a few 45's later.........:D:P

Edited by stevoz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The mix was usually the same............but the 45s were mastered for AM radio and the big compressors across the transmitters.

My ears were often disappointed when I got an album with a song I had only heard on the radio.

That's before we even think about AM's limited bandwidth!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, stevoz said:

I never knew that. I always thought that albums would have had more effort put in on the production side, and that they would be the superior product. I'll have to spin a few 45's later.........:D:P

 

Not about more or less effort, per se.

More about different strokes for different folks...mastering was always used on everything, but different mastering was required/employed for different purposes.

 

If you want the best of the best on 45, start pulling out your 12" singles...that's where the real audio gold is hiding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I only have 'little' 7" 45's...........damn!:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/11/2016 at 8:39 PM, candyflip said:

 

Not about more or less effort, per se.

More about different strokes for different folks...mastering was always used on everything, but different mastering was required/employed for different purposes.

 

If you want the best of the best on 45, start pulling out your 12" singles...that's where the real audio gold is hiding.

I listened to a few 7" 45's on Thursday night and I think I'll be sticking to LP's as they sounded awful:unsure:, way too bright and rough sounding and just didn't have the refinement of a full length album......I have one 12" single (that I know of), Hunters and Collectors 'When the River Runs Dry', I'll see how that sounds later.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/06/2016 at 10:29 AM, Y B said:

Recently discovered On-U Sound label. Great music aside, both Adrian Sherwood At The Controls and Survival & Resistance sound superb, S&R is absolutely top notch!

 

There is a thread about 3D sound which is out of the speakers, S&R has many moments like that. Last Queen Of England has one of the most wonderful harmonica at play and Greenleaves has the sound of bells floating around in the room.  :thumb: 

 

 

 

R-3810545-1345339827-7367.jpeg.jpg5060263721253.jpg

 

Wow the record in the video looks so warped, luckily mine is perfectly flat.

 

 

On U Sound label well worth investigating further!

https://www.discogs.com/label/2409-On-U-Sound

check out On U Sound artists African Head Charge, heavy experimental dub reggae mon!

https://www.discogs.com/artist/13674-African-Head-Charge

https://www.discogs.com/African-Head-Charge-My-Life-In-A-Hole-In-The-Ground/master/19087

http://www.junodownload.com/products/african-head-my-life-in-a-hole/2811836-02/

also Singers & Players also on On U Sound

https://www.discogs.com/Singers-Players-War-Of-Words/release/174085

Suns of Arqa, this split 12 inch 33/45 has incredible dynamics on Acid Tablas

https://www.discogs.com/Suns-Of-Arqa-Featuring-Prince-Far-I-G-D-Magick/release/374922

Suns of Arqa: Revenge of the Mozabites

https://www.discogs.com/Suns-Of-Arqa-Revenge-Of-The-Mozabites/master/104450

 

regards Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/11/2016 at 6:45 PM, candyflip said:

 

Not *just* the Grace...this is a hot recording. AUS pressing or any other.

The Aussie is a Don Bartley MAXICUT mastering...and you don't often get better than that locally.

Getting back to that candyflip, I see the Maxicut reference on the back cover at the bottom, cool! I'm playing it again now.:D Which brings me to Duran Duran's follow up album, 'Rio', which I have just ordered, but it is a Japanese pressing (EMI 1982 EMS-91037). Out of curiosity, is the Oz pressing of Rio a Maxicut, and do you know much about the Japanese pressing? Cheers....:thumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm no fan of nz/aus pressed records but this is one of the all-time greats;

 

an early textured, single-sleeve australian pressed pink rim island that is the second best "tea" i've ever heard.

almost as good as a mint uk pink label, far more natural sounding than the hyped up mo-fis and amusical japanese pressings.

last weekend it claimed another scalp, the qrp 33rpm tea which sounded like a bad cd in comparison, detailed but thin, bright and lifeless

 

:D

1115 DSCF3028.JPG

1115 DSCF3038.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, michaelw said:

i'm no fan of nz/aus pressed records but this is one of the all-time greats;

 

an early textured, single-sleeve australian pressed pink rim island that is the second best "tea" i've ever heard.

almost as good as a mint uk pink label, far more natural sounding than the hyped up mo-fis and amusical japanese pressings.

last weekend it claimed another scalp, the qrp 33rpm tea which sounded like a bad cd in comparison, detailed but thin, bright and lifeless

 

:D

 

 

 

And still relatively cheap, and plentiful....  :thumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, stevoz said:

Getting back to that candyflip, I see the Maxicut reference on the back cover at the bottom, cool! I'm playing it again now.:D Which brings me to Duran Duran's follow up album, 'Rio', which I have just ordered, but it is a Japanese pressing (EMI 1982 EMS-91037). Out of curiosity, is the Oz pressing of Rio a Maxicut, and do you know much about the Japanese pressing? Cheers....:thumb:

 

My educated guess is, yes, as it is 1982 and it *should* be.

No I have no info on the Japanese pressing..but I would buy both and have a little listening party.  :party

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, candyflip said:

 

And still relatively cheap, and plentiful....  :thumb:

 

not here  :(

i've only seen one other textured cover pink rim and it had a bad side 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, candyflip said:

 

My educated guess is, yes, as it is 1982 and it *should* be.

No I have no info on the Japanese pressing..but I would buy both and have a little listening party.  :party

Thanks for that candyflip......:thumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...