Sign in to follow this  
catman

'Non Audiophile' records that sound particularly pleasant.

CHVRCHΞS - Every Open Eye

Crowded House - Crowded House

British India - Nothing Touches Me

Lionel Richie - Cant Slow Down

Mark Ronson - Uptown Special

The Prodigy - Their Law

Rage Against The Machine- Rage Against The Machine (not the new remastered version)

Rick James - Reflections

Tool - Undertow

FGTH: 'Welcome To The Pleasuredome'.post-154342-0-84090600-1471232435_thumb. This is a blast and a half.....great music and a great recording!

hiatus kaiyote :choose your weapon

post-141248-0-00770900-1471855138.png

Recent purchase, '1984' by Eurythmics (1984-Starcall Victor label).....superb sounding recording and pressing!

Just played Duran Duran (self titled- first album). Maybe it's my new Grace Level II doing it's thing, but I've never heard this LP sound this good.....just brilliant! A quick shout out to 'Replicas'- Tubeway Army, which I'm playing now.....a great sounding recording (original Oz pressing).:thumb:

Gee, I'm pulling out some good one's today.:P Playing Stan Ridgeway's 'The Big Heat' (?Oz Pressing-1986) for the first time in a long time and it is a beauty. The bass on 'Salesman' is truly phenomenal! Great recording all round.:thumb:

11 hours ago, stevoz said:

Playing Stan Ridgeway's 'The Big Heat'

Yep, that's one awesome sounding record!

I'm back!:P Dug another LP out that I have not played for a long time (or on my 'newish' analogue set up) and that was 'The Man Machine' by Kraftwerk......WOW! What a great recording/production. That would probably go for any Kraftwerk LP. I have the CD 'The Mix' by Kraftwerk (remastered remixes) and thought that it sounded great, but the vinyl of 'The Man Machine' slays it bigtime! Fantastic!:thumb:

On 11/7/2016 at 2:27 PM, stevoz said:

Just played Duran Duran (self titled- first album). Maybe it's my new Grace Level II doing it's thing, but I've never heard this LP sound this good.....just brilliant! A quick shout out to 'Replicas'- Tubeway Army, which I'm playing now.....a great sounding recording (original Oz pressing).:thumb:

Not *just* the Grace...this is a hot recording. AUS pressing or any other.

The Aussie is a Don Bartley MAXICUT mastering...and you don't often get better than that locally.

Just another thought on this subject..................when I was a kid, I always wondered why the singles sounded better/different than the same tracks on an album.

(As we know.......I later found out that besides the extra speed and vinyl real estate...........they were mastered differently as well!

8 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

Just another thought on this subject..................when I was a kid, I always wondered why the singles sounded better/different than the same tracks on an album.

(As we know.......I later found out that besides the extra speed and vinyl real estate...........they were mastered differently as well!

I never knew that. I always thought that albums would have had more effort put in on the production side, and that they would be the superior product. I'll have to spin a few 45's later.........:D:P

Edited by stevoz

The mix was usually the same............but the 45s were mastered for AM radio and the big compressors across the transmitters.

My ears were often disappointed when I got an album with a song I had only heard on the radio.

That's before we even think about AM's limited bandwidth!

30 minutes ago, stevoz said:

I never knew that. I always thought that albums would have had more effort put in on the production side, and that they would be the superior product. I'll have to spin a few 45's later.........:D:P

Not about more or less effort, per se.

More about different strokes for different folks...mastering was always used on everything, but different mastering was required/employed for different purposes.

If you want the best of the best on 45, start pulling out your 12" singles...that's where the real audio gold is hiding.

I only have 'little' 7" 45's...........damn!:P

On 09/11/2016 at 8:39 PM, candyflip said:

Not about more or less effort, per se.

More about different strokes for different folks...mastering was always used on everything, but different mastering was required/employed for different purposes.

If you want the best of the best on 45, start pulling out your 12" singles...that's where the real audio gold is hiding.

I listened to a few 7" 45's on Thursday night and I think I'll be sticking to LP's as they sounded awful:unsure:, way too bright and rough sounding and just didn't have the refinement of a full length album......I have one 12" single (that I know of), Hunters and Collectors 'When the River Runs Dry', I'll see how that sounds later.:)

On 04/06/2016 at 10:29 AM, Y B said:

Recently discovered On-U Sound label. Great music aside, both Adrian Sherwood At The Controls and Survival & Resistance sound superb, S&R is absolutely top notch!

There is a thread about 3D sound which is out of the speakers, S&R has many moments like that. Last Queen Of England has one of the most wonderful harmonica at play and Greenleaves has the sound of bells floating around in the room.  :thumb: 

R-3810545-1345339827-7367.jpeg.jpg5060263721253.jpg

Wow the record in the video looks so warped, luckily mine is perfectly flat.

On U Sound label well worth investigating further!

https://www.discogs.com/label/2409-On-U-Sound

check out On U Sound artists African Head Charge, heavy experimental dub reggae mon!

https://www.discogs.com/artist/13674-African-Head-Charge

https://www.discogs.com/African-Head-Charge-My-Life-In-A-Hole-In-The-Ground/master/19087

http://www.junodownload.com/products/african-head-my-life-in-a-hole/2811836-02/

also Singers & Players also on On U Sound

https://www.discogs.com/Singers-Players-War-Of-Words/release/174085

Suns of Arqa, this split 12 inch 33/45 has incredible dynamics on Acid Tablas

https://www.discogs.com/Suns-Of-Arqa-Featuring-Prince-Far-I-G-D-Magick/release/374922

Suns of Arqa: Revenge of the Mozabites

https://www.discogs.com/Suns-Of-Arqa-Revenge-Of-The-Mozabites/master/104450

regards Ian

On 09/11/2016 at 6:45 PM, candyflip said:

Not *just* the Grace...this is a hot recording. AUS pressing or any other.

The Aussie is a Don Bartley MAXICUT mastering...and you don't often get better than that locally.

Getting back to that candyflip, I see the Maxicut reference on the back cover at the bottom, cool! I'm playing it again now.:D Which brings me to Duran Duran's follow up album, 'Rio', which I have just ordered, but it is a Japanese pressing (EMI 1982 EMS-91037). Out of curiosity, is the Oz pressing of Rio a Maxicut, and do you know much about the Japanese pressing? Cheers....:thumb:

i'm no fan of nz/aus pressed records but this is one of the all-time greats;

an early textured, single-sleeve australian pressed pink rim island that is the second best "tea" i've ever heard.

almost as good as a mint uk pink label, far more natural sounding than the hyped up mo-fis and amusical japanese pressings.

last weekend it claimed another scalp, the qrp 33rpm tea which sounded like a bad cd in comparison, detailed but thin, bright and lifeless

:D

1115 DSCF3028.JPG

1115 DSCF3038.JPG

5 hours ago, michaelw said:

i'm no fan of nz/aus pressed records but this is one of the all-time greats;

an early textured, single-sleeve australian pressed pink rim island that is the second best "tea" i've ever heard.

almost as good as a mint uk pink label, far more natural sounding than the hyped up mo-fis and amusical japanese pressings.

last weekend it claimed another scalp, the qrp 33rpm tea which sounded like a bad cd in comparison, detailed but thin, bright and lifeless

:D

And still relatively cheap, and plentiful....  :thumb:

6 hours ago, stevoz said:

Getting back to that candyflip, I see the Maxicut reference on the back cover at the bottom, cool! I'm playing it again now.:D Which brings me to Duran Duran's follow up album, 'Rio', which I have just ordered, but it is a Japanese pressing (EMI 1982 EMS-91037). Out of curiosity, is the Oz pressing of Rio a Maxicut, and do you know much about the Japanese pressing? Cheers....:thumb:

My educated guess is, yes, as it is 1982 and it *should* be.

No I have no info on the Japanese pressing..but I would buy both and have a little listening party.  :party

9 hours ago, candyflip said:

And still relatively cheap, and plentiful....  :thumb:

not here  :(

i've only seen one other textured cover pink rim and it had a bad side 2.

17 hours ago, candyflip said:

My educated guess is, yes, as it is 1982 and it *should* be.

No I have no info on the Japanese pressing..but I would buy both and have a little listening party.  :party

Thanks for that candyflip......:thumb: