Sign in to follow this  
catman

'Non Audiophile' records that sound particularly pleasant.

Also got this on a whim the other day because I liked the cover and it turned out to be a well pressed record in the Back to Black series.

808f10e6.jpg

That's a great album. Hope you enjoy it!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Edited by antman70

Some very notable, "non audiophile", vinyls in my collection include:

1. Dire Straits - Dire Straits (Original UK Press)
2. Elton John - Honky Chateau (UK 1st Press)
3. Super Tramp - Breakfast in America (US 1st Press)
4. Michael Jackson - Thriller (Aussie 2nd Press)
5. Dire Straits - Love over Gold (Aussie Original Press - EMI MaxiCut)

6. Eric Clapton - 461 Boulevard (Original German Press)

7. Michael Jackson - Off the Wall (Aussie Original Press)

8. U2 - Joshua Tree (Original US Press - Pressed at MasterDisk- DMM)

Will post some more later.

Some very notable, "non audiophile", vinyls in my collection include:

4. Michael Jackson - Thriller (Aussie 2nd Press)

this intrigues me...any idea why?   Deadwax markings give any clue?

Do you have the 1st press AUS (or US) to compare to?

this intrigues me...any idea why?   Deadwax markings give any clue?

Do you have the 1st press AUS (or US) to compare to?

Not sure why. It sounds like they made a fairly significant correction to their pressing technique from the first to the second pressing.

I have an Aussie Thriller first press and it is a little too bright and harsh in the mid-range  - especially in the inner-groove. Also lacks a little bass.

The second press is amazingly well balanced. I personally prefer it over the Dutch and US pressings, which are meant to be the cream of the crop.

I own two Aussie 2nd Presses and they are both slightly different.. Same matrix codes, but different position of the stamping... Different day, different time? Who knows.

When I get home I'll send you the matrix details of the one I prefer.

Edited by drdarkfish

Guest Y B

Recently discovered On-U Sound label. Great music aside, both Adrian Sherwood At The Controls and Survival & Resistance sound superb, S&R is absolutely top notch!

There is a thread about 3D sound which is out of the speakers, S&R has many moments like that. Last Queen Of England has one of the most wonderful harmonica at play and Greenleaves has the sound of bells floating around in the room.  :thumb: 

R-3810545-1345339827-7367.jpeg.jpg5060263721253.jpg

Wow the record in the video looks so warped, luckily mine is perfectly flat.

FLORENCE AND THE MACHINE - Ceremonials double LP

Haven't spun this for a while and I don't remember it sounding so damn good before. Previously, musically yes, but not in an audiophile-y way.

Now, it sounds really damn fine!  

Work colleague gave me his records and said "not sure what records are in there but there yours" there was about 50-60 records in the bag.

There very slim records maybe 100gsm or something. I haven't had a chance to go through all of them but some of the 80's hits compilations sound pretty good.

Edited by Conifer

Unusual for "hits" records to sound good because they usually compromised the sound to enable the tracks to be closer together to squeeze so many tracks on them.

Unusual for "hits" records to sound good because they usually compromised the sound to enable the tracks to be closer together to squeeze so many tracks on them.

I was going to suggest (and Conifer: feel free to shoot me down in flames here if not the case) that perhaps @@Conifer may not be very experienced with vinyl, and is still testing the waters on what actually sounds good or not?

I was going to suggest (and Conifer: feel free to shoot me down in flames here if not the case) that perhaps @@Conifer may not be very experienced with vinyl, and is still testing the waters on what actually sounds good or not?

Good point and relative to what Conifer is comparing it too.  :)

Just received a new copy of the re-release of "The Modern Lovers" (Music On Vinyl-2016) by The Modern Lovers. Not the best recording in the world of course, as this album is demo tapes originally recorded in 1971/72 (and wow, well ahead of their time they were!) and not released at the time, as Jonathan Richman went all 'Wiggles-rogue' :D, rejected his original sound and didn't want it to be part of it. Alas for him, and fortunately for everyone else, the music company had the last say, and out it came in 1976 (Berserkly label). A flatmate had a copy back then, and we all went crazy on it. I must say this pressing is quite impressive, dynamic full sound, if a bit rough around the edges (demo tapes!), but this actually suits the underground-new wave-punk style of music of the 'first edition' Modern Lovers. It sounds as good as I remember the original sounded. I love it. Great that it got re-released, as I couldn't find a copy anywhere. It was hard enough to find a CD of it, back when I was still listening to CD's that is. :P It's a classic for sure!!

Edited by stevoz

10cc - Original Soundtrack (UK original press or Dutch Export Copy)

9/10 for sound and music ;)

Stone Roses. Vinyl, Best of, remastered. Bloody fantastic, sounds better than the original versions.

Edited by norman

Man_It_Feels_Like_Space_Again.jpg

Picked this up at the JB Sale today - good quality for a modern record and musically could be Tame Impala's second cousin. I find most modern recordings too bass heavy to account for the fact they will be listened to on tablets and the like. This doesn't seem like that and is a very clean pressing.

I have a 12' single of J.J.Cale's   'Cocaine' that sounds great, although I think most of the 12" singles quality is similar.

I have a 12' single of J.J.Cale's 'Cocaine' that sounds great, although I think most of the 12" singles quality is similar.

I like most of JJ's albums and they all have great S.Q. if i was to pick a favourite it would be Troubadour, cocaine is a cool track.

Yes  "Fragile" 1971.  Engineered by Eddie Offord. Perhaps some of the scariest bass guitar of all time by the late great Chris Squire.

post-155853-0-48937200-1469226314.jpg

Yes  "Fragile" 1971.  Engineered by Eddie Offord. Perhaps some of the scariest bass guitar of all time by the late great Chris Squire.

Love Chris's bass work on Fragile. The Yes Album has more great bass work by Chris.

Both albums are fav's of mine.

post-154655-0-87520300-1469230951_thumb.

Recently received a brand new copy of 'Wishbone Ash' 40th Anniversary Live Concert (2009, ZYX label, German pressing) and must say this is a fine live recording. Thumping tight bass, great guitar sound (and playing from one original guitarist plus a newbie), overall a fine production. More of their later music, nothing off their first three of four LP's unfortunately, but great music all the same. Impressive package. :thumb:;)post-154342-0-52979700-1469421701_thumb.

Edited by stevoz

Angus Stone Dope Lemon Honey Bones is a very musical pressing.

I got mine from JB. Not cheap at around $65.....

Cheers

This record sounds great.

The_Police_-_Every_Breath_You_Take_(The_

Bought it second hand at a store for nearly nothing. Discovered how amazing it sounded when I got home. 

A few months later I was in a local hifi retailer, and found that they were using the very same record as a demo record for their system!

This record sounds great.

Bought it second hand at a store for nearly nothing. Discovered how amazing it sounded when I got home. 

A few months later I was in a local hifi retailer, and found that they were using the very same record as a demo record for their system!

Which pressing?

I think I've got the UK at home, and never thought it was 'all that', but perhaps I wasn't listening hard enough.

*double post* 

Edited by candyflip

I'll throw a curveball.

This one makes the hair on my neck stand on end. Sounds wonderful and very "Australian"!

Great for a Sunday afternoon with a cold XXXX

post-125940-0-92226300-1469950787_thumb.

Cheers.....Shane