Sign in to follow this  
catman

'Non Audiophile' records that sound particularly pleasant.

Agree with the great Jeff Buckley vinyl sound on current pressings.

Also great sound - Amy Winehouse's "Back to Black" (available at Target stores right now for $29).

My 30 year old pressing of Springsteen's "Born to Run" absolutely kills the CD version too and sound brilliant.

Edited by npeters

Yeah talk about loudness wars. Her digital copy sounded like some bad hip hop recording

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just bought two new vinyls by Gary Numan, The Pleasure Principle and Telekon. They do sound 'good', but earlier, on unwrapping them, I noticed a sticker on the shrink wrapping of both saying "VINYL RE-ISSUE, Mastered from HD Digital 96/24 Transfers of Analogue Tapes", which was not mentioned in the ebay ad. So I'm basically listening to digital, not analogue, right? :unsure:

I have just bought two new vinyls by Gary Numan, The Pleasure Principle and Telekon. They do sound 'good', but earlier, on unwrapping them, I noticed a sticker on the shrink wrapping of both saying "VINYL RE-ISSUE, Mastered from HD Digital 96/24 Transfers of Analogue Tapes", which was not mentioned in the ebay ad. So I'm basically listening to digital, not analogue, right? :unsure:

Well, the answer to your question devolves into a discussion over semantics (i.e. when is a recording considered digital and when is it analog?).

Although the re-issue was mastered from 96/24 digital transfers of the original analog tapes, the final production master of the album was mixed by employing a lot of digital filtering (i.e. flanging, phasing and reverb). So, technically, there never was a 100% analog master of the album to begin with.

Whether or not you feel that a 96/24 recording is as good as an analog one is an argument, ... err, a discussion, for another day.   :hiccup

Edited by NordicNorm

Jiro Iganaki and Soul Media - Funky Stuff.

I bought Jeff Buckley's "You and I" from JB at 20% off on Saturday. I just got to listen to it, and nearly fell off my chair!

On "Grace" it sounds like it's just him and his Telecaster in the room along with you. Unbelievable. The rest of the record is fab, but "Grace" is so real, its spooky. a definite stunner.

Two more from the archive that I haven't listened to on vinyl for perhaps 15 years that both have great dynamics, sound, and quiet backgrounds:

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome to the Pleasuredome - RML 57001/2 (Festival Australia);

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - Q4 SHVLA.804 Quadraphonic (EMI Australia)

Dave Brubeck - Adventures in Time, Al Stewart - Year of the Cat. Love by The Beatles, And nearly anything by Grover Washington Jnr.

Edited by HypnoToad

Two more from the archive that I haven't listened to on vinyl for perhaps 15 years that both have great dynamics, sound, and quiet backgrounds:

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome to the Pleasuredome - RML 57001/2 (Festival Australia);

Love this album, but can't stand swapping between sides constantly on it with the double vinyl, as it was really meant to be heard as one solid 'story' if you like.

So CD only for me, but agree it sounds terrific.

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome to the Pleasuredome - RML 57001/2 (Festival Australia).........

Oooh, I purchased this from an op shop in a little northern town on the north island of NZ last year. After finding the outer sleeve I had to go hunting through their crates to find both records. Luckily both were there with inner liners as well. And at the grand cost of NZ$1 I might add. Will pull it out and give it a spin. Thanks.

True Stories - Talking Heads. Despite the less than perfect bass, still a dynamic listening experience. :)

True Stories - Talking Heads. Despite the less than perfect bass, still a dynamic listening experience. :)

Which copy Steve? I have a couple of copies and from memory they are both ok....

Damien Rice

I have O on cd. It is sublime. A vinyl comparison would be interesting.

He released his latest album, my favourite fantasies on 45

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seconded! Performers like Grover, Bob James, Dave Grusin etc from that Smooth Jazz era all seem to have taken a lot of care with their recording production or simply used great studios as all the records I have from such artists are very well produced. Some of them were early adopters of the latest technology of the time such as DMM and Direct to Disc recordings.

As well, Al DiMeola recordings are universally well done IMO.

Specially GRP label

Albums that seem to be well recorded a possibly repeats of some previous posts:

Caribou - Swim & Our Love

Nina Nastasia - Outlaster and Run to Ruin

Junip - Fields double LP

James Blake - Overgrown double LP

Gorillaz - Gorillaz

Chet Faker - Built on Glass double LP

Black Keys - Brothers and El Camino

Alabama Shakes - Sound & Color

Lana Del Ray - all 3 albums

Lykke Li - Youth Novels double LP

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away

Albums that aren't (& I wish they were):

James Vincent McMorrow - both albums (flat)

Radiohead - In Rainbows (flat)

Adel - 25 (voice sounds distorted)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add to the above that sound great: Boy and Bear - Limit of Love

Edited by caminperth

Albums that aren't (& I wish they were):

James Vincent McMorrow - both albums (flat)

One of the greatest vinyl disappointments for me of the last few years....   :(

Which copy Steve? I have a couple of copies and from memory they are both ok....

EMI Oz pressing from 1986. Interestingly it has "Mastered on Copper" :unsure: (tape, I presume),  written under the barcode on the back cover, but I'm guessing this would pertain to all issues of this LP. :thumb:

One of the greatest vinyl disappointments for me of the last few years.... :(

Definitely - and I went to quite a lot of trouble to locate them as well...

EMI Oz pressing from 1986. Interestingly it has "Mastered on Copper" :unsure: (tape, I presume),  written under the barcode on the back cover, but I'm guessing this would pertain to all issues of this LP. :thumb:

Nope, that's a copper plate master for the pressing at the plant..nothing to do with the master tape itself.

And that does pertain to all the AUS pressings as far as I'm aware, yes.

Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever, a $7 buy that I have just got to listen to. Great sound and dynamics, particularly on "Free Fallin'".

Well, the answer to your question devolves into a discussion over semantics (i.e. when is a recording considered digital and when is it analog?).

Although the re-issue was mastered from 96/24 digital transfers of the original analog tapes, the final production master of the album was mixed by employing a lot of digital filtering (i.e. flanging, phasing and reverb). So, technically, there never was a 100% analog master of the album to begin with.

Whether or not you feel that a 96/24 recording is as good as an analog one is an argument, ... err, a discussion, for another day.   :hiccup

I'd argue that when those albums were released they would use analog phasing / flangers and reverb. Digital effects weren't around much in the 70's

I bought the CD remasters a few years ago and they did a good job with them, but I still prefer the original pressings which I own in good condition.

Your are listening to a digital analog hybrid. But since its from a 96khz master it should be preferable to the CD at 44.1khz. do they sound good? I was tempted to buy them, but since my original copies are perfectly fine I didnt.

Edited by eltech

I personally hate most DMM / Mastered on Copper. They sound awful to my ears. I concur with the apraisal of the sound given here:

There may be some exceptions but I havent encountered any yet!

Quote:

"DMM (Direct Metal Mastering) cuts always appeared to have a brighter and more defined top-end. Upon early inspection of DMM discs, this appeared to be due to a higher frequency modulation in the groove, caused by an ultra-sonic carrier tone. However there is no carrier tone on DMM cuts and the modulation is simply caused by the vibration of the cutter head.

Many critics often describe a DMM cut as too bright or too ‘edgy’."

Edited by eltech