Sign in to follow this  
catman

'Non Audiophile' records that sound particularly pleasant.

I can't imagine anyone here has a collection more comprehensive than that of @.  @@catman, hope you're paying attention mate  :)

Shane, is the Ashes & Fire available from ccmusic any good http://www.discogs.com/Ryan-Adams-Ashes-Fire/release/3195270, or is the UK/EU pressing the way to go?

P.S. Is Live at Carnegie Hall a worthwhile addition?  I hope so as I just ordered it over the weekend...

The US pressing is excellent - that is the one I have.  

Never been a big live album fan and don't have it - I have heard its good thou. Did u get the 6lp release?

Edited by metal beat

The US pressing is excellent - that is the one I have.  

Never been a big live album fan and don't have it - I have heard its good thou. Did u get the 6lp release?

Thanks Shane.  I'll grab a copy while it's available.

Yep, I grabbed the 6LP release - it had some pretty positive comments on Discogs and I figured at 25% off I couldn't go wrong.  I've got most of his stuff cheaply through Murfie Music, but nothing on vinyl as yet.

Dry is a cracker of an album, but it takes a few listens to get a handle on it.  I remember dating a traveler from the States back in the early 90's who introduced me to Polly Jean.  At first listen I thought Dry was shite.  Of course, PJ Harvey is now one of my favourite artists with Dry being one of her finest moments.  If you have listened to PJ and thought not much of her, I urge you to give her several more listens.  Trust me, you will be rewarded.

I've used a recording of Water from Glastonbury as a system check for a while. But's it's digital and doesn't qualify (I don't think it was ever released to vinyl).

Guest Y B

I'll ensure you're best man when I marry her - just don't let Vanessa know... ;)

Haha, Andrew I am glad that I have done something right by you. Whichever sexy lady you end up marrying, I hope that day come soon...[emoji127][emoji79][emoji79][emoji79]

looks like shane has a new lady friend, going by his avatar.... :P

Edited by analog brother

Haha, Andrew I am glad that I have done something right by you. Whichever sexy lady you end up marrying, I hope that day come soon...[emoji127][emoji79][emoji79][emoji79]

I'll only ever joke about marriage @Y B.  The last time I did that it cost me 75% of everything I owned and all of my favourite and collectible records.  Besides, @@Andrew stenhouse is obviously busy enough looking at his recent cast offs - he doesn't need my business as well...  ;)

Edited by ABG

we need andrew to write us all some pre-nups if we need them.

stereo and music claims waiver and all that jazz.

Edited by analog brother

Guest Y B

The last time I did that it cost me 75% of everything I owned and all of my favourite and collectible records. 

What!? You lost your records too? You'll be smarter to stash you records at my place if you ever think about the M word in the future... or as soon as the lady moved in... Ok.. no more jokes.. :)

Thanks Shane.  I'll grab a copy while it's available.

Yep, I grabbed the 6LP release - it had some pretty positive comments on Discogs and I figured at 25% off I couldn't go wrong.  I've got most of his stuff cheaply through Murfie Music, but nothing on vinyl as yet.

The 6lp box set is a ripper musically and sonically on the one I received (heinous crime -the flac is also very good that comes with the box set).

My vote goes to the Colour of Spring by Talk Talk.  My copy is the standard, original, Aussie EMI pressing.  Also, Aqua by Edgar Froese - standard Virgin Aussie pressing - the sounds almost jump out of the speakers.

Just on a side note, I find it lamentable that modern music is mixed to be optimised for playing through iPads and you know something is wrong when you buy a record and it makes your stereo sound like a giant iPad.

Edited by Richardtheaudio

Currently spinning Eagles "Live" double LP, garden-variety standard issue record bought from secondhand shop. Sounds mighty good to my ears, might have something to do with it being mastered by Sterling Sounds?

Hey Dudes, what about something that kicks some serious arse? I can't believe no one's mentioned the golden period of Compass Point Studios!

Superb production, drag out a vinyl copy of Grace Jones' Warm Leatherette or Nightclubbing and be amazed!

check out who else recorded there!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compass_Point_Studios

Couple of tracks I spun recently, great music and sound mighty good

The Violence of Truth: The The (12 inch remix)

http://www.discogs.com/The-The-45-RPM-The-Singles-Of-The-The/master/20990

Steam Train: Ed Kuepper from his Real Wild Life EP

http://www.discogs.com/Ed-Kuepper-Real-Wild-Life/release/7031667

Dub Train: Umberto Echo (on Enja, once part of ECM?)

http://www.discogs.com/Umberto-Echo-Dubtrain/release/1798536

even has Barney McAll, Oz jazz keyboardist on a few tracks

oud dudes the Trio Joubran

their albums Majaz and AsFar seriously good!

http://www.discogs.com/artist/1668961-Trio-Joubran

Surprisingly, nirvana greatest hits sounds fantastic.

And it's only the 33rpm....

The Motels - 1979 Motels album. Track #3, 'Total Control'.

Simple Minds -New Gold Dream

James -Laid 2lp re issue

Nirvana - Unplugged

Stiff pressing of Ian Dury-New Boots and Panties

Primal Scream - Screamadelica

I have the white vinyl version of Simple Minds - Sparkle In The Rain and though I bought it for novelty sake, the sound quality is superb.

post-136594-0-41284400-1454541432_thumb.

Couple I have sound impressive:

Robbie Robertson-self titled, produced with Daniel Lanois features tracks with U2

Paul McCartney- Tug of War

Alan Parsons Project- Eye in the Sky

Matt

Bob Marley and the Wailers, Natty Dread

my 1975 copy sounds great (a few crackles and pops but sounds so live)

Edited by turnthetable

Dry is a cracker of an album, but it takes a few listens to get a handle on it.  I remember dating a traveler from the States back in the early 90's who introduced me to Polly Jean.  At first listen I thought Dry was shite.  Of course, PJ Harvey is now one of my favourite artists with Dry being one of her finest moments.  If you have listened to PJ and thought not much of her, I urge you to give her several more listens.  Trust me, you will be rewarded.

Yeah, PJ is an acquired taste and worth getting into.

I have several of her CDs and after getting back into vinyl I chanced upon PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love in JB Hi Fi.

It was not clear to me if this would be a good pressing your not but at the price and since it was a fav album I thought it worth a shot.

Gamble paid off, the vinyl sounds awesome and so I love this album even more now. Play it LOUD!

post-154655-0-99613300-1454634947_thumb.

The original vinyl has huge frequency extension in both directions, huge punch, and captures the natural sound of the instruments. The CD seems to have been unable to capture the depth / punch or tonality of the bass on this LP.

Its one huge fat enormous fantastic mean bastard of a record.

PS. All their LPs sound great.

I just played Kurt Vile's Believe I'm Going (deep) Down last night for the first time and was pleasantly surprised that it sounded great. Big, warm sound with lots of presence. 

Jeff Buckley - Grace

Tracy Chapman  self titled album