'Non Audiophile' records that sound particularly pleasant.

Guest soundandpictures

most canadians are better than the equivalent aussie but not as good as uk or good us.

shocking the number of early digitals on here that people think sound good

:P

most canadians are better than the equivalent aussie but not as good as uk or good us.

shocking the number of early digitals on here that people think sound good

:P

Thanks soundandpictures.  Also, to avoid this thread being derailed by myself :), I've started a thread on the subject of 'country of origin' pressings. :thumb:

Today I dusted off my 2 Van Morrison LP's, "Moondance" and "Band & Choir" and gave them a spin. To my thrill, they both sounded incredibly "alive" as only good records can. On closer inspection the second LP was mastered by none other than Rob Ludwig at Sterling. Aaahhh, the boys of collecting records.

Did bob ever worked the lathe at sterling?

[edit] I guess he did after all.... [edit]

Edited by jeromelang

Albums that seem to be well recorded a possibly repeats of some previous posts:

Caribou - Swim & Our Love

Nina Nastasia - Outlaster and Run to Ruin

Junip - Fields double LP

James Blake - Overgrown double LP

Gorillaz - Gorillaz

Chet Faker - Built on Glass double LP

Black Keys - Brothers and El Camino

Alabama Shakes - Sound & Color

Lana Del Ray - all 3 albums

Lykke Li - Youth Novels double LP

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away

Albums that aren't (& I wish they were):

James Vincent McMorrow - both albums (flat)

Radiohead - In Rainbows (flat)

Adel - 25 (voice sounds distorted)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by caminperth
  • Like 2

Here's a steal that sounds mighty good if you like smooth jazz, "Winelight" by Grover Washington, Jr. (Elektra 6E-305).These can be found in secondhand shops for a few bucks.

Seconded!  Performers like Grover, Bob James, Dave Grusin etc from that Smooth Jazz era all seem to have taken a lot of care with their recording production or simply used great studios as all the records I have from such artists are very well produced.  Some of them were early adopters of the latest technology of the time such as DMM and Direct to Disc recordings.

As well, Al DiMeola recordings are universally well done IMO.

• Like 2

The quality of Canadian pressings varies just like in other countries. One of the peculiarities of Canadian pressings is that they all seem to have more pronounced bass as a general rule.

Two examples of Canadian pressings that are exceptional are the Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers and Pink Floyd - The Wall. Both of these sound much better than the US pressings and are the equal of the UK pressings.

One theory why Canadian pressings generally sounded so good was that the market  was 1/10th of the US, therefore their stampers saw a lot less usage.

Here's a guide to Canadian LPs: http://www.jerryosborne.com/canada.pdf. While not exhaustive, it does contain a lot of information.

Edited by NordicNorm

Jean Michel Jarre: Oxygene

The Aust Polydor version sounds outstanding.

Tom Waits: Blue Valentine

Rolling Stones: Tattoo You

Every Dirty Three album I have heard on the Touch & Go label, with Horse Stories being a stand out.

Mavis Staples: One True Vine

Van Morrison: Into The Music

Just a few of so many great sounding non Audiophile labelled records that spring to mind.

And I agree with @@audiofeline. The standard Famous Blue Raincoat was out long before any Audiophile pressing was issued, and it does sound excellent, and by my understanding of the thread, qualifies.

Stumbled across said "Famous Blue Raincoat" at my local Vinnie's this morning. $2 and in surprisingly excellent condition. Gets my vote having not heard it before [emoji12]

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

G'day all, one from the Classical Music world!  I've been playing this Deutsche Grammophon album from 1975 that is not only a superb musical performance but also superbly recorded including impressively wide dynamic range.  A really good sounding record!  Regards, Felix. 

post-143868-0-49986100-1457336213_thumb.

Ah, 'Deutsche Grammophon', there's a memory, my father used to rave about them and play them. Truly great productions, just a pity they never got into rock!! :D

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

I tend to find a lot of 12" singles sound really good. I found Honey thief remix by Glasgow band Hipsway in a second hand shop for a couple of bucks. Amazing sound quality. Frankie goes to Hollywood , The Orb, Grace Jones and many others produced singles with excellent quality.

• Like 1

765103.jpg&key=64aea692788f4b6d442e08f30dd4c520867ed058c3834ad2218dd8114b382008enhanced-buzz-4505-1442254500-1.jpg&key=6c186a5d010a743e503ac702b05ef4d9a2e8d12ed3b6ec30ba3830961616659eWilco%2BA%2BGhost%2BIs%2BBorn%2B319247-991.jpg&key=a58fbef382fe8c9a7f697458c5cb1bd16acd32e3010cf0c23a123a8f05d767afWilco-Impossible-Germany-180x180.jpg&key=df95a4f63b418a4aef51e83dc65a079e51a580ebc61c3ea25a3f83d68877a055

Wilco - Summerteeth/Yankee Hotel Foxtrot/A Ghost Is Born/Sky Blue Sky

Wilco reissues on Nonesuch - I wish all new pop/rock/indie vinyl new releases/reissues has SQ and mastering as marvel as these!

Also sounding great releases from:

Nonsuch

The Black Keys - Brother/El Camino/Turn Blue

Punch Brothers - The Phosphorescent Blues

Bella Union

Beach House - Teen Dream/Depression Cherry

Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes/Helplessness BluesLaura Veirs - Warp & Weft

The Walkmen - Heaven

Zun Zun Egui - Shackles Gift 

CitySlang

Calexico - Feast Of Wire

Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record

Caribou - Swim/Our Love

KORT - Invariable Heartache

The Notwist - Neon Golden/Close To The Glass 

4ADBeirut - Gulag Orkestar/The Flying Club Cup/No No No

El Vy - Return To The Moon

Gus Gus - Polydistortion

Mark Lanegan Band - Blues Funeral

Sohn - Tremors

TV On The Radio - Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes/Dear Science 

Mute UK

Depeche Mode

Grinderman

Kraftwerk

Liars

New Order - Music Complete

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Martin Gore - MG

Plastikman - EX/EX Remixes 

Edited by Y B

Steve Morse Band-- "The Introduction".....I have the German pressing (excellent) and it is an outstanding recording :thumb:. Add to that Steve Morse's sublime picking/slashing/brilliance! Awesome stuff! :) 

• 3 weeks later...

The quality of Canadian pressings varies just like in other countries. One of the peculiarities of Canadian pressings is that they all seem to have more pronounced bass as a general rule.

Two examples of Canadian pressings that are exceptional are the Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers and Pink Floyd - The Wall. Both of these sound much better than the US pressings and are the equal of the UK pressings.

One theory why Canadian pressings generally sounded so good was that the market  was 1/10th of the US, therefore their stampers saw a lot less usage.

Here's a guide to Canadian LPs: http://www.jerryosborne.com/canada.pdf. While not exhaustive, it does contain a lot of information.

I mentioned it in another thread last year, but my original 1972 Canadian Dynaflex pressing of Lou Reed's 'Transformer' is absolutely stunning. The bass power and dynamic range are a quantum above any other version I have ever heard. I'm talking a night and day difference - your gob will be well and truly smacked.

As it 'appens, I was digitising / listening to a couple last night. Both by Lee Morgan, one "Tomcat" and the other "Taru". Both are really good recordings, putting each instrument in place on the sound stage. The recordings are four years apart ('64 and '68) but both sound superb.

• Like 1