'Non Audiophile' records that sound particularly pleasant.

Dalek I - Compass/Kum'pass

Geils - Monkey Island

Little Axe - The Wolf That House Built

Cath Carroll - England Made Me

Depeche Mode - Violator

Leftfield - Leftism

Eels - Electro Shock Blues

John Hiatt - Bring The Family

Ali Farka Toure/Ry Cooder - Talking Timbuktoo

Moby - Play

+1 for Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus

Count Basie & The Mills Brothers - The Board of Directors

Sarah Vaughan & Duke Ellington - Songbook Vol. 2

Rob McConnell & The Boss Brass - Big Band Jazz (direct-to-disk)

Thelma Houston & Pressure Cooker - I've Got the Music in Me (direct-to-disk)

Harry James & His Big Band - The King James Version (direct-to-disk)

Edited by NordicNorm

I don't doubt its sonic prowess but is this thread not about NON audiophile records, which I interpret to mean those albums not intended for - or co-opted by - the audiophile world.

If we start talking Warnes then does that not open the door to the all usual suspects and minimise reader's exposure to new music from off the well worn tracks as beaten by audiophiles? I think most here would agree that Warnes, Dire Straits, The Dan's Gaucho that one Stevie Ray Vaughan cut, that one Nils Lofgren cut and that "Thanks To You" yawnfest have been bludgeoned to death by audiophiles?

I'd LOVE to hear of records new and old that couldn't be described as "old faithfull".

How about Massive Attack's Mezzanine? Agree also on the Ben Salter that ABG mentioned.

I don't get your point, if the previously mentioned album is non audiophile, ie: something you could buy from Brashes or Allens, then the brief has been met. I lost you after "I don't doubt......." :unsure::ohmy:

ZZTop's first, The Cult's Electric, Killing Joke's Love Like Blood 12 inch sounds stunning and Dixie Dregs' What If to name a few. 

You can add to that the Dregs 'Night of the living Dregs' and 'Dregs of the Earth'........and I wish the Dregs live album 'Bring 'em Back Alive' was available on vinyl. A stunning live album!

• Like 1

I think the point is to share discoveries that we don't already know about.

Are you a 'hipster', you sound a bit elitist...... :wacko: Because of course, everyone on here has read everything posted in the past, if they haven't they're somehow 'boorish'? Is that what you're saying?

Hey Dudes, what about something that kicks some serious arse? I can't believe no one's mentioned the golden period of Compass Point Studios!

Superb production, drag out a vinyl copy of Grace Jones' Warm Leatherette or Nightclubbing and be amazed!

I just got a brand new vinyl copy of 'Nightclubbing', I look forward to hearing it, once I get my 'no L channel' issue sorted :) . My brother has a double LP 'half speed'(I think) version. He says it sounds incredible!

Nightclubbing sounds fantastic! First 'brand new' album I have bought in over 25 years! The second arrived in the mail a few days later.......'Blackstar', it also sounds great, and what a package! You can't beat a good LP package to get the 'pride of possession' juices flowing :D ! CD's lose out there as well. I must mention another addition that fits the thread title brief, and that's 'Kick' by INXS. I just put it on(first time played in probably over 25 years) after finding it in pristine condition( I'm so glad I was 'vinyl anal' in my earlier years!).........and it's a cracker!! The opener 'Guns in the Sky' has sublime bass, as do most INXS tracks, but boy does it kick........ :P 'The Loved One' just started......oh yeah! I'm having fun! Long Live Analogue :thumb: . Cheers...

Edited by stevoz

Had a 3-corner fight just the other nite

CD vs 33 vs 45

A newfound PM Dawn Fan

Now I'm able to compare

Now I could just let this spin

On and on and on and on.....

One of those dizzily loops that stays

In the mind you can't get rid of

image_zpst4gsaltw.jpeg

Edited by jeromelang

Had a 3-corner fight just the other nite

CD vs 33 vs 45

A newfound PM Dawn Fan

Now I'm able to compare

Now I could just let this spin

On and on and on and on.....

One of those dizzily loops that stays

In the mind you can't get rid of

image_zpst4gsaltw.jpeg

Ok, which format won? :)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Recently upgraded my TT and been listening to 20+ albums a night for the last two weeks 😴

Top 5 sounding albums to my ears, so far have been

5. David Bowie - Aladdin Sane - EMI remaster 1990 (first death of vinyl) ha

4. CSNY - Deja Vu - Atlantic 1974

3. The Pixies - Bossanova - 4AD 1990, probably classed as Audiophile

2. Island Reggae Greats -Strictly for Rockers - Island 1985

1. Lightnin Hopkins - untitled - Boulevard 1966 pressed by Allied Records London

I've had the Hopkins album for twenty odd years and it sounded great back then on my Akai AM-UO1 with pro lab speakers. If anyone has a copy give it a spin and report back.

P.S. Still have the Akai and Pro-Labs fire them up for old times once and a while

Did have to push up the bass on the Bowie Album for my taste

Edited by Powerglide
  • Like 1

Recently upgraded my TT and been listening to 20+ albums a night for the last two weeks [emoji42]

That is a seriously impressive listening regimen - 20 albums would conservatively be about 12 hours of listening! Noce top 5 as well![emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G'day all, I guess we all expect so called 'Audiophile records' to sound top notch, and mostly in my experience they sound excellent, yet quite a few of my records that are just ordinary good quality records also sound particularly good. 

Indeed some of these records do find frequent service as demonstration records!  That's a bit of a paradox actually.  A lot of my Phillips releases tend to be good sounding.  My BTO 'Not Fragile' album is quite a good sounding and well pressed album.  Any others that might be nominated?  Regards, Felix.

Today I dusted off my 2 Van Morrison LP's, "Moondance" and "Band & Choir" and gave them a spin. To my thrill, they both sounded incredibly "alive" as only good records can. On closer inspection the second LP was mastered by none other than Rob Ludwig at Sterling. Aaahhh, the boys of collecting records.

Today I dusted off my 2 Van Morrison LP's, "Moondance" and "Band & Choir" and gave them a spin. To my thrill, they both sounded incredibly "alive" as only good records can. On closer inspection the second LP was mastered by none other than Rob Ludwig at Sterling. Aaahhh, the boys of collecting records.

Are you not a man? :D .......Or should that be 'joys'? :thumb:......While I'm here, I can't stress how good a recording is Grace Jones "Inside Story". I have sung it's praises here before, but I 'revirginized' it and the results are truly stunning. The improvement in instrument clarity and detail was obvious. I listened with a wide grin! I must add, Revirginizer is a truly stunning product, it really does return your LP's to virgin vinyl, and pristine LP's to 'brand new'! Brilliant!

Edited by stevoz

Just a query...Canadian pressings from the eighties, any good? I usually avoid Australian and US pressings from this period, due to the 'muck' recycled vinyl that was getting around then, preferring UK, German Or Japanese pressings, but I've never heard about the reputation of Canadian pressings from this period....... :unsure: I fear they may be similar to Australian standard, or am I wrong?