'Non Audiophile' records that sound particularly pleasant.

I seem to like british first pressings, things that spring to mind would be say.....

Lou Reed transformer

Changes1&2 Bowie

Prefab sprout steve mqueen

Morrissey (any of them)

Sometimes i enjoy electronic music and head for albums from the G7 and G Stone label they generally have great sq think

Kruder&Dorfmeister K&D

Tosca (various)

I also like the parlophone label especially with no bar code on the sleeve.

• Like 3

I guess my 2 disk LP of Jazz at the Pawnshop doesn't qualify - bought well before I knew what an audiophile was. But I liked the record.

So I guess "United States I-IV (live)" by Laurie Anderson, then.

And "Mainstream" by Quiet Sun.

"June 1, 1974" by a number of people (Ayers, Eno, Cale, Nico).

"Sound Affects" by The Jam.

"Bluesbreakers" by John Mayall with Eric Clapton.

"Mr Wonderful" by Fleetwood Mac.

"Beggar's Banquet" by The Rolling Stones

• Like 1

Little Feat, 'Waiting for Columbus'. Even my shitty, thin vinyl cheap and domestic pressing sounds awesome. Most of the Little Feat records were superbly recorded and mastered.

The Pixies, 'Surfer Rosa' is awesome.

I have a number of French classical box sets labelled 'Grand Prix Du Disc' which are fantastic recordings. Don't know if they're collectable but I paid next to nothing for them from the op shop. Bought them for the great music of Carl Orf rather than 'hifiness'.

Many of the old World Record Club pressings were very good too.

yuppppp for Feat..... especially when they have Tower of Power backing them! 

Every Dirty Three album I have heard on the Touch & Go label, with Horse Stories being a stand out.

Mavis Staples: One True Vine

+1,+1 +Ryan Adams 29, +Jim O'Rourke Visitor + Beach Boys - Holland + many other surprises. I think it is the good sounding non-audiophile surprises that keep me in the hobby.
  • Like 1

My tuppence worth....

Neil Young, Rust Never Sleeps (especially "Ride my Llama") its one of my must play tracks  for testing new set ups.  Been in the collection for 20 odd years so not the most pristine of vinyl but still sends shivers down my spine  :D

Nick Drake, Five Leaves Left (as above from my days of working in a second hand record store...)

Linda Rondstadt's Simple Dreams

• Like 1

Famous Blue Raincoat-Jennifer Warnes.

Perhaps not intended as such, but it's now utterly standard phile-phodder as seen at every *****ing show. 

"Dry" by PJ Harvey might be closer to the OP's request.

Edited by thoglette
  • Like 2

Perhaps not intended as such, but it's now utterly standard phile-phodder as seen at every *****ing show. 

Damned by popularity, such a shame. Let's hope nobody plays any PJ Harvey and spoils that. :unsure:

• Like 2

Dry is a cracker of an album, but it takes a few listens to get a handle on it.  I remember dating a traveler from the States back in the early 90's who introduced me to Polly Jean.  At first listen I thought Dry was shite.  Of course, PJ Harvey is now one of my favourite artists with Dry being one of her finest moments.  If you have listened to PJ and thought not much of her, I urge you to give her several more listens.  Trust me, you will be rewarded.

An artist that was introduced to me by a fellow SNA'er who I would urge you to check out is Nadine Shah.  Much more accessible than early PJ Harvey (for those with more mainstream tastes) - but not soporific like much audiophile fare - Nadine Shah.  I have 2 of her albums - Love Your Dum & Mad and Fast Food.  The pressings on both are first rate and her voice is something to behold.  

This will give you a taste.  Enjoy.  If you buy Nadine's albums now, you will be at the sharp end of the curve instead of 20 plus years too late.

Many thanks to @Y B for the introduction.  I'll ensure you're best man when I marry her - just don't let Vanessa know...  ;)

Edited by ABG
  • Like 3

Not that I have heard it on vinyl, but the CD of Tearing Sky by Piers Faccini is stellar. I can imagine the vinyl is equal if not better

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Another current band worth checking out, both from a musical merit point of view as well as high SQ - Shining Bird.  Their album Leisure Coast has a distinctive Aussie flavour and is a treasure of laid back tunes that are both soothing and musically engaging - a rare combination.  Get it on vinyl while you still can - it's a great pressing.

Here's a taste

Edited by ABG
  • Like 2

Seems to be a few audiophile artists creeping in.  :)

Rammstein - Mutter

Ryan Adams- Ashes & Fire. Easily Ryan's best sounding album

Paul Kelly - So much Water, so Close to Home

Boy and Bear - Limit of Love

Caribou - Our Love

Credence Clearwater Revival - self tilted analog productions pressing.

Ed Sheeran - X

Jack Ladder - Playmates

Marilyn Manson - Pale Emperor

Philip Selway - Familial

• Like 2

Seems to be a few audiophile artists creeping in.  :)

Rammstein - Mutter

Ryan Adams- Ashes & Fire. Easily Ryan's best sounding album

Paul Kelly - So much Water, so Close to Home

Boy and Bear - Limit of Love

Caribou - Our Love

Credence Clearwater Revival - self tilted analog productions pressing.

Ed Sheeran - X

Jack Ladder - Playmates

Marilyn Manson - Pale Emperor

Philip Selway - Familial

I can't imagine anyone here has a collection more comprehensive than that of @.  @@catman, hope you're paying attention mate  :)

Shane, is the Ashes & Fire available from ccmusic any good http://www.discogs.com/Ryan-Adams-Ashes-Fire/release/3195270, or is the UK/EU pressing the way to go?

P.S. Is Live at Carnegie Hall a worthwhile addition?  I hope so as I just ordered it over the weekend...