'Non Audiophile' records that sound particularly pleasant.

G'day all, I guess we all expect so called 'Audiophile records' to sound top notch, and mostly in my experience they sound excellent, yet quite a few of my records that are just ordinary good quality records also sound particularly good. 

Indeed some of these records do find frequent service as demonstration records!  That's a bit of a paradox actually.  A lot of my Phillips releases tend to be good sounding.  My BTO 'Not Fragile' album is quite a good sounding and well pressed album.  Any others that might be nominated?  Regards, Felix. 

The ghost of Tom Joad. Bruce Springsteen

Definitely agree with you on this one.

It's one of my favourite albums, and it sounds absolutely superb.

I've often pulled it out at GTGs and its one of those albums that people just want to leave on for a whole side rather than changing after one or two songs.

It's a shame it's so difficult to find on vinyl.

Hopefully it'll be re-pressed in the near future like the first batch of Springsteen albums.

• Like 1

What is a non audiophile record?

Those floppy acrylic things?

I took it to mean something not on one of the 'audiophile' labels such as MFSL/AP/DCC etc.  Of course just about every new LP is pressed on "Audiophile 180g vinyl'  :(

• Like 3

Sgt. Peppers

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

Astral Weeks

Mink deville

There are hundreds of them

Made by young people at their creative peak with good equipment and engineers that were in the same space as the players

Technology can ruin a good record but it can't make a great one

• Like 1

A recent Aussie pressing that is great:

Ben Salter - The Stars Are My Destination

artworks-000114883852-18e21z-t500x500.jp

Unlike some of the titles above, the music on it is truly brilliant - I reckon it was the best album to come out last year.  The fact it's a great pressing is an absolute bonus.  In the words of Molly Meldrum, do yourself a favour @@catman and grab a copy.

• Like 2

Ya might wanna re-read the thread title? ;)

John, I had heard that original pressings of Warnes album was used as a demo because of it's good sound quality.  Are you (and the liker's of your post) saying that it doesn't have good sound? 

[Disclaimer:  I have obtained a copy of the record based on this reputation, but my turntable hasn't been in operation for me to hear it yet].

• Like 1

John, I had heard that original pressings of Warnes album was used as a demo because of it's good sound quality.  Are you (and the liker's of your post) saying that it doesn't have good sound? 

[Disclaimer:  I have obtained a copy of the record based on this reputation, but my turntable hasn't been in operation for me to hear it yet].

I don't doubt its sonic prowess but is this thread not about NON audiophile records, which I interpret to mean those albums not intended for - or co-opted by - the audiophile world.

If we start talking Warnes then does that not open the door to the all usual suspects and minimise reader's exposure to new music from off the well worn tracks as beaten by audiophiles? I think most here would agree that Warnes, Dire Straits, The Dan's Gaucho that one Stevie Ray Vaughan cut, that one Nils Lofgren cut and that "Thanks To You" yawnfest have been bludgeoned to death by audiophiles?

I'd LOVE to hear of records new and old that couldn't be described as "old faithfull".

How about Massive Attack's Mezzanine? Agree also on the Ben Salter that ABG mentioned.

Edited by J_o_h_n
  • Like 3

I don't doubt its sonic prowess but is this thread not about NON audiophile records, which I interpret to mean those albums not intended for - or co-opted by - the audiophile world....

OK, thanks for the clarification.  I interpreted the topic to mean standard production LPs, excluding audiophile pressings like MFSL.  My bad :-).

• Like 3

Jean Michel Jarre: Oxygene

The Aust Polydor version sounds outstanding.

Tom Waits: Blue Valentine

Rolling Stones: Tattoo You

Every Dirty Three album I have heard on the Touch & Go label, with Horse Stories being a stand out.

Mavis Staples: One True Vine

Van Morrison: Into The Music

Just a few of so many great sounding non Audiophile labelled records that spring to mind.

And I agree with @@audiofeline. The standard Famous Blue Raincoat was out long before any Audiophile pressing was issued, and it does sound excellent, and by my understanding of the thread, qualifies.

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 4

I'll add another Tom Waits album to the list - Mule Variations.  SQ is extraordinary.

And the UK pressing of Beirut - No No No that I'm listening to now doesn't sound half bad either.

• Like 1

fbr was first written up in TAS as a recommended record on HP's super disc list as a normal issue Canadian pressing and then subsequently repressed many times over in various audiophile editions. it's still a fantastic record and rarely played at shows now

Little Feat, 'Waiting for Columbus'. Even my shitty, thin vinyl cheap and domestic pressing sounds awesome. Most of the Little Feat records were superbly recorded and mastered.

The Pixies, 'Surfer Rosa' is awesome.

I have a number of French classical box sets labelled 'Grand Prix Du Disc' which are fantastic recordings. Don't know if they're collectable but I paid next to nothing for them from the op shop. Bought them for the great music of Carl Orf rather than 'hifiness'.

Many of the old World Record Club pressings were very good too.

Edited by Gruffnutz