Sign in to follow this  
Hergest

Today's Ride

1 hour ago, nonsynchro said:

They're starting to close sections of Albert Park Lake road for the Formula 1 coming to town. No problems getting on there with a bike today and have a world class race track to yourself!

I've ridden around Mount Panorama a few times, loads of fun especially coming off the mountain down through the dipper and conrod.

DSC_0711.thumb.JPG.1b9972693c918897fd97165fedd2f59e.JPG

This morning I made it out for my first ride further than the shops in nearly two months. Up to the Dare war memorial and lookout above Dili. The Strava folk tell me it's about 500m in 7.5km, never especially steep but pretty relentless. I certainly find it a slog. I rode with friends who are deep in training for the Tour de Timor in a few weeks. They dropped me pretty early on the climb but I was able to plug away and make it to the top with enough in the tank to continue on for a relaxed 2.5 hour loop. It's nice to blow a few cobwebs out and realise your not quite as out of shape as you feared. 

Not my ride, but a plug for my partner, Regan. Today she started the Tour de Timor. For those that don't know, it's a five day mountain bike event: around 2000m accent/decent per day, rugged roads, bloody hot, camping overnights. She's approaching it as a participation event rather than a race, but it's still a huge effort. She is riding with a team raising money for Oxfam's work in Timor-Leste, in case anyone feels like making a donation.

https://my.oxfam.org.au/fundraiser/view/6902

And if anyone is crazy enough to want to do it in the future I'd be happy tell you what I can!

Just got back from the Malaysian PPC Interstate ride - 3 days from KL to the East coast and then North a little. Around 480km travelled in some varying conditions. Awesome scenery!

100_1797.thumb.jpg.5d527800464ee6bafd99420d87e3731c.jpg

IMG_20180831_095551.thumb.jpg.c94584a84783d699b7f6a51f69bbf78b.jpg

MVIMG_20180831_134949.thumb.jpg.5437d13547ea12d8e10a52e9c30af8db.jpg

IMG_20180901_111735.thumb.jpg.ca8f2bd8a17753871d7921c740ff4508.jpg

100_1874.thumb.jpg.f853d4f3c1528b6a900a38c88cdbb0dc.jpg

100_1886.thumb.jpg.c5471bc539f30f133afb1f7bf4928623.jpg

IMG_20180901_101906.thumb.jpg.6415511a9253c5966320024499567a13.jpg

On 05/01/2017 at 2:59 PM, Darren69 said:

@Hergest you'd be a fit bugger.

yes, gorgeous country, we usually end up in Bright around MotoGP time either heading down or back, in 2014 that was as far as we got. :D

Anyhoo, a mate of mine came back across from Perth with her partner and they are mad downhill MTB types, she sent me these pics from Mt Buller(?) which is in that neck of the woods, give or take, I believe.

FB_IMG_1483267550514.jpg

FB_IMG_1483267745268.jpg

FB_IMG_1483267766448.jpg

I have done that ride a few times and the rest of them a few years back. Good memories. 

Anyone do ATB yesterday? Was an absolute corker of a day. Little bit sunburned too! :P

Riding up and over Tawonga Gap in Bright today, 100 metres from the top of the gap I managed to pull my back wheel out of position due to a rubbish quick release skewer. As I was in first gear and spinning away the derailleur   hit the spokes and wrenched the lot off by breaking the hanger.

No worries thinks I as I carry a spare hanger. Walk to the top of the hill to the carpark and find that the tiny, poxy allen screws that hold the hanger on are slightly different in size to my multi tool and the first attempt to remove it rounds the damn hole so I'm stuffed.

Cue a long wait until my wife finishes her breakfast back in town and comes and picks me up. Nothing worse than driving back down from Tawonga with a bike in the back of the car when it's one of the best descents you will come across.😢

12 hours ago, Hergest said:

Riding up and over Tawonga Gap in Bright today, 100 metres from the top of the gap I managed to pull my back wheel out of position due to a rubbish quick release skewer. As I was in first gear and spinning away the derailleur   hit the spokes and wrenched the lot off by breaking the hanger.

No worries thinks I as I carry a spare hanger. Walk to the top of the hill to the carpark and find that the tiny, poxy allen screws that hold the hanger on are slightly different in size to my multi tool and the first attempt to remove it rounds the damn hole so I'm stuffed.

Cue a long wait until my wife finishes her breakfast back in town and comes and picks me up. Nothing worse than driving back down from Tawonga with a bike in the back of the car when it's one of the best descents you will come across.😢

Go to Phil at All Terrain Cycles in Bright, he'll get you repaired ASAP

1 hour ago, proftournesol said:

From memory your wallet will be significantly lighter as well. I've been in there several times over the years, but never bought anything unless I absolutely needed it straight away.

As a heavier rider at my best, I always loved the descents doing Alpine classics etc, as I more than made up for time lost going up. Now as I approach 100 kegs climbing is bloody hard work. I'm trying to do my annual "get back in to cycling" comeback currently, and hopefully get back to a weight starting with an 8...

16 hours ago, Juicester said:

Anyone do ATB yesterday? Was an absolute corker of a day. Little bit sunburned too! :P

Was an awesome day. 1 of the best I've seen for ATB. Usually either stinking hot, raining or really windy.

As I'm just shedding winter coat and bulk, I just did a gentle 40km loop including Kew Boulevard.

6 minutes ago, blybo said:

From memory your wallet will be significantly lighter as well. I've been in there several times over the years, but never bought anything unless I absolutely needed it straight away.

As a heavier rider at my best, I always loved the descents doing Alpine classics etc, as I more than made up for time lost going up. Now as I approach 100 kegs climbing is bloody hard work. I'm trying to do my annual "get back in to cycling" comeback currently, and hopefully get back to a weight starting with an 8...

He's not going to work for free but his charges have been very reasonable for me

28 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

He's not going to work for free but his charges have been very reasonable for me

I've got the feeling if it's the same owner, that locals and out of town'ers were treated very differently.

47 minutes ago, blybo said:

Was an awesome day. 1 of the best I've seen for ATB. Usually either stinking hot, raining or really windy.

As I'm just shedding winter coat and bulk, I just did a gentle 40km loop including Kew Boulevard.

Yes I only signed up for the 100km - which I note was actually about 94km. When I got to the finish line I turned around and did a few more laps of Albert Park to hit the century. Aim is to do the 210km next year; as you state though, it's rare to have conditions as perfect as they were.

Is the SNA cycle crew still active? I feel like I see nothing on the Strava group any more. We should get a group together and go for a spin.

2 hours ago, proftournesol said:

Thanks Prof, this is only a very quick visit as we're off to Melbourne for a few days before the return to Sydney so I've left the bike in the car and will drill out the rooted screw at home.

20 minutes ago, Juicester said:

Yes I only signed up for the 100km - which I note was actually about 94km. When I got to the finish line I turned around and did a few more laps of Albert Park to hit the century. Aim is to do the 210km next year; as you state though, it's rare to have conditions as perfect as they were.

Is the SNA cycle crew still active? I feel like I see nothing on the Strava group any more. We should get a group together and go for a spin.

The 100 got me into cycling again as an adult back in 2007. My wife and I signed up and went from nothing to 100km in 6 weeks worth of "training" that was published in the Herald Sun that year. I remember scoffing at the training guide that mentioned building up to weekly 5-6 hour rides thinking who has the energy or time for that. 2 years later I was racing and 100-150km on beach ride just felt like a normal start to a Sunday.

Then kids come along...

I think there aren't many Melbourne members to the group though. I'm happy to ride anywhere I can get a leave pass for.

4 hours ago, Juicester said:

There seems to be a few active members on the Strava group - not sure if I'm the only one in Perth. If I'm not, happy to catch up for a ride!

7 hours ago, Hergest said:

Thanks Prof, this is only a very quick visit as we're off to Melbourne for a few days before the return to Sydney so I've left the bike in the car and will drill out the rooted screw at home.

You could have come to my place and drilled it out

On 08/10/2018 at 5:12 PM, Juicester said:

Didn't go round, but did Sorrento and back, by 70k the longest I've managed.  Very few bicycles of the steel variety to be seen, but, frankly, it's not the want of carbon fibre that's limiting my speed.

Was fading between Mornington and Frankston, but a restorative milkshake and cigarette put spring back into the legs.

5 minutes ago, k-k-k-kenny said:

Didn't go round, but did Sorrento and back, by 70k the longest I've managed.  Very few bicycles of the steel variety to be seen, but, frankly, it's not the want of carbon fibre that's limiting my speed.

Was fading between Mornington and Frankston, but a restorative milkshake and cigarette put spring back into the legs.

Well done. I had some friends do that as well - too far for me this year. Maybe next year. Can't believe you found a cigarette restorative. You'd be an even better cyclist if you quit! ;)

C

Hoping you can advise on nicks. I need some and wonder the pro's/cons of different colours.

Majority wear black, but other colours seem to be cooler or sexier..... for example..

image.png.c2cd78d0c0a4f0e531c920485c0bfe48.png

or these red ones... preferences ?

image.png.cee3bf0ba88c16dc857a1116d2e5d24d.png

Hmmmm - I would steer clear of red unless you favour transparent tone arms

If this is a serious question.... It's hard to go past any of Castelli's models that have the progetto x2 air seat pad. Has revolutionised my longer rides.

Hi Juicester, it wasn't a serious question, but I just checked the progetto x2 and although my rides are usually under 3 hours, these look too good to not purchase.

So thanks for the advice, I'm pretty much sold on it.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:03 AM, Nigel said:

Hi Juicester, it wasn't a serious question, but I just checked the progetto x2 and although my rides are usually under 3 hours, these look too good to not purchase.

So thanks for the advice, I'm pretty much sold on it.

the only shorts I've had that I prefer are from Rapha and much more expensive....