Kimber 8TC / Mogami 3103 Speaker Cable

Hey guys

Used to have Kimber Kable 8TC speaker cable (clear/white) paired with some B&W 805 Diamond speakers, imaging was amazing and vocals were stunning - however, fo no good reason I decided to try some much much cheaper shielded cables - Mogami 3103. Mogami works out to be about $15/m vs ~$120/m for kimber kable 8tc... and guess what, after about 120 hours of break in the Mogami 3103 sounds better! better imaging, more solid / less lean, more relaxed presentation... kinda completely turned me off premium cables tell you the truth.

Can't speak highly enough of Mogami ... decided to try this cable after doing research on what recording studios use, mogami appears to be the gold standard there so i thought why not... turned out to be a great bargain.

• Like 4

Hey guys

Used to have Kimber Kable 8TC speaker cable (clear/white) paired with some B&W 805 Diamond speakers, imaging was amazing and vocals were stunning - however, fo no good reason I decided to try some much much cheaper shielded cables - Mogami 3103. Mogami works out to be about $15/m vs ~$120/m for kimber kable 8tc... and guess what, after about 120 hours of break in the Mogami 3103 sounds better! better imaging, more solid / less lean, more relaxed presentation... kinda completely turned me off premium cables tell you the truth.

Can't speak highly enough of Mogami ... decided to try this cable after doing research on what recording studios use, mogami appears to be the gold standard there so i thought why not... turned out to be a great bargain.

This clearly indicates that Kimber Kable 8TC speaker cable is not that good, at least not (nowhere near) as good as people suggest!   It would also appear to be debatable about just how good the Mogami 3103 cable is but ... it is not expensive!

This also clearly indicates cable burnin/cooking (120hrs is mentioned) is important, at least for any half decent (decent and especially more than decent) cables and systems :)

Edited by Ping

Canare make good cable too, I think Canare and Mogami are the two big players in the studio cable market. Can get pre made and pre terminated cables from the US and China probably cheaper than what you could build them yourself for, eg

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Canare-4S11-Speaker-Cable-in-Black-Techflex-with-Locking-Banana-Plugs-6-Feet-/290826970568?hash=item43b6a365c8:g:87IAAOxyjzNRF3Mh

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/S01-A-2m-6-5ft-Canare-4S12F-Star-Quad-13awg-Speaker-Cable-Banana-to-Spade-Y-/221514425667

Come in biwire version too:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/S01Bw-B-2m-6-5ft-Pair-Canare-Bi-Wire-Speaker-Audio-Cable-2xSpade-4xBanana-/221813969126

Considering purchasing one of the above actually, need to try some decent speaker cable - jsut gotta decide whether to go the biwire version, or go single wire and grab the matching speaker jumper cables

I went down this route too after using 8tc for years, only to return to using 8tc with my new speakers (Tannoy Prestige Stirling GR's) maybe because the speakers were more revealing or whatever I don't know, now however, the 8tc sound's lightyears ahead of these good, but cheaper cables, as was stated in post #1 all that amazing quality is there and more it seems where as with the cheaper cables, Mogami, Audioquest, Anticables,  even DNM and some very well known Aust cables much recommended on this site were not close, in the Midrange and treble,bass has never been the 8tc's strong point only the DNM came close in all areas, but to each their own and if the Mogami works for you, use it and enjoy it, its just tuning your system to the way it sounds best to you and if it sounds good to you, stick with it regardless.

• 3 weeks later...

Mogami cable rocks.

I was pretty sceptical at first when a mate recommended it to me,but I went ahead anyway and bought a 3 metre pair of Ebay for < $100 figuring I didn't have a lot to lose, but I couldn't believe how good it was . IMO it is the best kept secret in cables and makes a lot of higher priced stuff sound dead ordinary,although when I say "sound " it really doesn't add or subtract anything from the music,which I think is exactly what a speaker cable should do. Cables should never editorialise in a system, although I know people who use them like tone controls.

If you are one of them, I wouldn't buy the Mogami.

It's just honest :)