Sign in to follow this  
Ralph

intranet or LAN based games

Hey Gamers,

Are there any Intranet / LAN based games available any more ?

By this, I mean a game that is played within a local network without involving the internet and players can participate via PC, iOS, Mac, Android etc.

There used to be games under mac OS9  that 1 computer would act as host and others would connect as clients

Picture this: A family ( ie Kid present)  gathering and we all have access to iPads, iPods, Macs, PCs,... and someone suggests a game of ???

Suggestions welcome

Ralph

Guest Muon

With things like the STEAM system these days, stand alone LAN play seems pretty scarce! An I'm only talking PC here. Maybe something is available on other platforms i am not aware of.

Might need to look at older games, but make sure it's not now tied to steam or Uplay and the like.

Sorry i can't help with a recommendation.

Age of Empires 2 : Age of Kings used to have a lan option. Great game too.

AFAIK what you are describing is non existent in terms of cross-platform play.

Rocket League is possibly the only recent game to pull off cross-platform multiplayer. But even then, that's only between Windows and PS4. Although Linux, OS X and Xbox One are all in development, it's probably never going to be ported to iOS or Android. The Windows version is only available Steam, so it requires an internet connection for local play. PS4 version is probably the same. 

If you have a few PCs, then games that are 10 years or older will be your best bet.

Recently I stumbled upon a game I used to play back in the day - Pocket Tanks Deluxe. It is Cross-Platform ready - Windows 10, W10M, iOS, Android. You can play online with friends but you can also play in local network. The only problem is that the game is limited to 2 players only. Also there is abundance of old games that enable LAN playing, however these are 99% PC only, so if you want something like that just say and I'll list as much as I can member berries (I used to have countless sleepless LAN parties with my friends :D )

Edit:Jesus... I just realized this thread is ages old :unsure:
Never-mind, here is a link to the pocket tanks game - http://www.blitwise.com/ptanksdeluxe.html 

Edited by Jensen Thug