Sign in to follow this  
shaky

'Plinth' build?

We must be brothers Tim ... :P  :P

From another mother.... Haha.

Always too many things on the go Al.

Haha.

One thing I have learnt, now that this is going, because there are springs under that T shaped piece that have the arm and platter on it you have to be very careful using the arm lift otherwise you start bouncing the cart across the record. Assumption is if when I build the new plinth for this those springs will get turfed any way.

Slow and steady and easily distracted. That's how I roll.

I hear that

You could use weights to load the springs......if it needs loading.

The "T" of the plastic pipes will take the place a box. The springs can be counter sunk into the pipe. Small hole on top to take the spring stub and large hole underneath to take the spring. So the suspended frome with tone arm and bearing will float on top of the plastic t pipe. You could take a branch out of the plastic for the motor. Similar to what Im doing with my tone arm. You could make your own frame similar to Andys. The plastic pipe has good potential to absorb motor vibration........havent thought too much about it, but I would try to keep it as a suspended belt drive......cause its harder. :thumb:   

Edited by awty

No. That sounds way above my capabilities! To me, the original springs are way too soft for the original design so my thinking is it will now be a spring free zone.

The original T section will be reused and is to be coupled to the HDPE rod with spikes. Hoping to use the absorption properties of the rod in my favour there. All really a bit of fun, using whatever I'm finding in my shed.

A start:

90mm diameter HDPE rod:

post-117460-0-30308100-1456658325_thumb.

Holy Moly!

Its solid pipe?........this is going to be great.

Did you weld it?

@@awty the rod was bought originally as part of my first PTP plinth idea. It all got a bit complicated so I built the stacked MDF/aluminum one instead. I know it's not real clear in the lovely iPhone pic but the left piece has had a V cut out of it and then the other piece epoxy glued into place. A very solid join.

Remember, this is only something to play around with what I have at home.

Holes drilled top and bottom in HDPE at each of the three ends and t nuts installed for spikes.

Nice neat hole:

post-117460-0-26977100-1457072401_thumb.

To locate the old T piece from Silcron so it doesn't slide around on spikes I used a centre punch to insert 'divots' where spikes would sit, similar to the cups you get with spikes:

post-117460-0-23723000-1457072246_thumb.

Complete with Sound ST14 tonearm and Grace headshell (Thanks to @pete_mac)

T is for

post-117460-0-13006100-1457139694_thumb.

One thing I'm not exactly happy with but will do for now, Ive used some mesh for motor mount. Even though it has folded edges it's still not as solid as I'd like. I will end up making a new mount possibly if I continue playing with this.

Motor from original turntable:

post-117460-0-82463100-1457386841_thumb.

And mount so far, with power switch:

post-117460-0-16092200-1457386978_thumb.

Looks cool, but yeh.....not that stable probably.....does it wobble when motor is spinning?

Maybe some support struts on 45degree angle from the edge, either side of the switch, to the bottom of the vertical piece?

Thin steel rod or.....something....

:unsure:

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

A bit of a fancy up of those exposed HDPE ends with matching metal mesh to motor mount:

post-117460-0-65107600-1457387100_thumb.

A new belt made to suit, and viola, away she goes:

post-117460-0-73686100-1457387184_thumb.

Goldring G800 MM Cart used:

post-117460-0-10420700-1457387279_thumb.

Not bad. Not bad at all for a total outlay of $43.

@@Dirty_vinylpusher can't see wobble or movement to the naked eye but would be there. Motor isn't exactly a strong point with this turntable either so wouldn't surprise me if it had speed fluctuation issues. But have listened to a couple of albums in it and sounds ok for the outlay as I've said. Plenty of scope for improvement too. Could replace that motor, and as mentioned the mount, or add a second motor, change of platter, plenty of fun to be had. As long as it doesn't cost much.... That'd defeat the purpose of this.

Edited by shaky

Top job.

Love it

@@shaky,

cool project man! What motor and power supply are you using? How did you mount the shaft (?) on the motor?

I'm curious because my brain deals with electronics well but it goes belly up when it comes to mechanics....

The motor is the original Silcron one, a synchronous AC one so runs of mains voltage. Spindle was part of the motor assembly. May change it out one day for a Hurst or Maxon but haven't looked into them that much to know what's suitable.

Edited by shaky

Its bloody great Shaky :thumb:

Is the pipe solid or hollow?

Solid rod my friend. Hefty stuff