Sign in to follow this  
shaky

'Plinth' build?

Hi all,

I was recently the lucky recipient of a freebie Silcron turntable with a Sound ST14 arm and been thinking, just for sh1ts and giggles, I might try and fire it up and see how it goes. It needs a few things, a belt and a Din- RCA cable, but have sourced a headshell so far. I know it's no world beater in turntable circles but just a bit of fun. In the meantime I'm thinking of building a new 'plinth' for want of a better term, something a bit different to the oversized box it is currently in:

post-117460-0-72580000-1452833269_thumb.

Now the tricky part, I was put in my garage looking at all my junk for some plinth inspiration and spied some 90mm HDPE rod. Now I am thinking of cutting it up in appropriate lengths and using under the black 'T' section. Would this work as a plinth material at all or am I too far removed from reality? I guess , and only using the visual clues, similar to Kuzma Stabi style. Would be fairly easy to knock up, and something different. Or should I just stick with tries and true materials? And design?

Go with something different , if it doesn't work you can go with the tried and true , nothing to lose but time . :)

Have some fun with it mate. Take some measueements befor you pull it apart so if you do decide to build a different plinth you have all the info.

You are crazy!

@@Upfront, good idea. Will hang onto top plate of existing plinth so can put all back together. Will fire it up in that first before doing anything else. That is apart from the other projects I've got going at the moment.

@@awty, this coming from a guy who's building...... Ahhh .... Umm... What exactly is it again?!

Another vote for the "try something different" option Tim  :)

Seems the consensus is to raid the junk pile. I'll post up pics as I go. Gonna test TT first as is to see if it's all (or at least a little) worthwhile.

Does anyone reading know what length the belts were for these little turntables? Or happen to have one lying around they don't need?

Edited by shaky

@@Deano_malaysia just did a net search as the Silcron has no model number written on It anywhere, only the brand and the words 'belt drive', ?seems to be a common theme in Internet world with these TTs) but appears to be that model. Can you help me?

With any luck, the JH belt should be the same size (someone with more knowledge please correct me if I'm wrong) around $50 on eBay. A nice thick slab of hardwood (butchers block) makes an awesome plinth for these TT imo 😄

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

@@Upfront closest VE has is JH reproducers as a brand. Although only one turntable listed in the database.

@@Brad67 thanks for the info. If all else fails I'll try eBay. But trying not to overspend if I can help it on this assist only a bit of fun. So far it only set me back a grand total of $35

@@Deano_malaysia that's a great and handy site. Cheers mate.

Had a bit of a play just now. Motor works but has a scraping noise. Narrowed that down to motor belt pulley touching the metal plate under it. Tightened motor adjust screw up which lifted Pulley and now runs as quiet as a mouse.

Now all you need is a bit of dental floss to find the length of that belt. Maybe a photo of the pulley too?

Now all you need is a bit of dental floss to find the length of that belt. Maybe a photo of the pulley too?

Great minds think alike. Already had a shot at that this arvo. Got the platter spinning using said dental floss 'belt'.

So how long is it? Whats the diameter???

The piece of dental floss is around 99cm long so by my calcs belt should be around 315mm circumference. I'm sure I can knock something up suitable without to much trouble. After the run on Saturday I'm a little unsure of the motors quality yet. Seems a bit iffy but may have been that scraping pulley or even rudimentary dental belt. We'll see.

Finished yet?

Seems to be taking a long time.

Slow and steady and easily distracted. That's how I roll.

Well what do you know...... It's alive!!:

post-117460-0-38698300-1454326654_thumb.

A few issues to sort out but good to know it's worth having a play with.

Thanks again to @@DutchNote

It's alive! Looking good :-)

And it's only set me back $40 to get the old rattler going.

Slow and steady and easily distracted. That's how I roll.

We must be brothers Tim ... :P  :P