Sign in to follow this  
heman_

Amp for HD800?

Bottlehead crack plus speedball for sure. Awesome amp!

Crack + speedball with good tubes is really good combo with hd800 but there are better. Dynahi is the best match hd800 I've heard yet but its diy. Auralic Taurus is close second. I tried the first version and was quite impressed

Edited by mloutfie

On a seperate but related topic - what is the general consensus - does the HD 800 benefit from balanced connections, or is it amp dependant.

Any balanced amps around $1000 worth mentioning? I once (2007 or 2008) ran HD 650's straight out of the balanced outputs from my then Lavry DA 10. Very impressive sound quality IRRC.

BTW anyone heard the HD 800s or whatever it is called? 

Edited by andrew_stenhouse

balanced does makesa difference to my ear. The Aussie dollar kinda kills the whole amp affordability. But for under $1000 audio gd nfb-6 would be my go to balanced amp. But its pretty much on the same level as crack+speedball

Actually I forgot an amazing portable amp I used to have which is actually a balanced amp. Ray Samuel's rsa intruder. Amazing sound from such a small amp. It's dac actually pretty good also

Edited by mloutfie

On a seperate but related topic - what is the general consensus - does the HD 800 benefit from balanced connections, or is it amp dependant.

Any balanced amps around $1000 worth mentioning? I once (2007 or 2008) ran HD 650's straight out of the balanced outputs from my then Lavry DA 10. Very impressive sound quality IRRC.

BTW anyone heard the HD 800s or whatever it is called?

On the Auralic Taurus, the Hd800 sounded better to my ears run balanced. I should note though that the balanced cables I used (Aurealis and Cardas) would have likely contributed to the improvement over the single ended cables I used. The benefit was bass improvement, bigger soundstage ( hard to believe) and increased detail portrayal.

Not sure any Aus retailers have the hd800s in stock yet ! Addicted didn't know when it would be available in late Decmber, and they seem to be pretty efficient on new models availability.

On the Auralic Taurus, the Hd800 sounded better to my ears run balanced. I should note though that the balanced cables I used (Aurealis and Cardas) would have likely contributed to the improvement over the single ended cables I used. The benefit was bass improvement, bigger soundstage ( hard to believe) and increased detail portrayal.

Not sure any Aus retailers have the hd800s in stock yet ! Addicted didn't know when it would be available in late Decmber, and they seem to be pretty efficient on new models availability.

Thanks Ray - very helpful. I love the soundstage on the HD 800. Superb.

I use the Schiit Mjolnir with mine, super happy.

It's the original SS, but there's a Mjolnir 2 which is hybrid.

It's widely considered as very nuetral, and if anything highlights the analytical side of the 800's.

Okies, so following on from @@Steve M. 's recommendation (thanks Steve :thumb: ), I picked up one of these today:

Elekit_TU8200DX_Photo_Main.jpg?itok=3nY7

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TU-8200-GLX-KT88-BUILD-AND-TESTED-/272013615591?hash=item3f554661e7

ATM am just using the head out of my MBA, and it sounds terrific playing DSD > 24/96 via A+. Chord Mojo arrives tomorrow and will use that as a dac.

I replaced the stock EH 12au7 with some NOS Mullard CV 4003's (accept no imitation) and it sounds .... bloody brilliant as a head amp. It taps off the main driver tubes, will drive ANYTHING and, with the Mullard's, is suited to a headphone on the more ...errr... accurate side. Soundstage is HUGE. Tone fantastic and, well, it just makes you tap your foot.

On hand I have some of the new Beyer DT 1770 Pro's (with the T2 driver) - very good by the way -  and my trusty and much loved Sony MDR 7506 studio cans. It is a match made in heaven with the brighter Sony's. The already darker flavour of the Beyer's is accentuated by the Mullard's, whereas the Sony's just love the warmth. 

I haven't tried it with the HD 800's yet, but I expect it to synergise exceedingly well. Will grab a pair shortly. 

I offered $1000 + delivery for the amp, which was accepted. It arrived a couple of days ago double boxed, and in perfect condition.

Overall I would say this is on par or slightly in front of the Crack + Speedball. Different excellent, if that makes sense.  Plus you can use this to power your speakers - 12 wpc UL 

Review is here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/elekit-tu-8200dx-vacuum-tube-headphoneintegrated-amplifier

and here: http://www.wallofsound.ca/audioreviews/elekit-tu-8200-dx-integrated-amplifierheadphone-amplifier-kit-review-by-tim-smith/

Edited by andrew_stenhouse

you MUST try the Chord Mojo DAC/AMP... possibly one of the best portable values of all time.

i really should have read the previous post first huh.... good choice for dac!

2heman_, if you are interested in Violectric highly recommend take in attantion some very interested full clone of A200, Accurate Audio Studio A200. in value 1000$ + you will grab it with V800. That will be great value setup as for the money.

Sent from my m2 note using Tapatalk

Please find link on some review http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sdkgv4iVa44

Edited by artist777

Honestly I think for anything less than $2k just grab a Schiit Valhalla 2 + some decent tubes and be done with it. Once you get over that you can start looking at DNA / Eddie Current. Personally i run the ECP Audio Torpedo 3 (DIY kit) and don't think anything would really be an upgrade until i hit the DNA Stratus. Ive tried the whole Schiit range / Taurus / Ear / Woo / EC / Cavalli etc. The last time I went to A2A they sat me down on a V281 and a Headamp GSX2, both were awful pairings (I'm not saying they're bad amps).

IMO best sounding ever solution for HD-Sennheiser series and HE-4, 6(HiFiMAN) is ultimate combo FluxLab SolidOne, before I think that mine OPPO HA-1, Master-11 Audio-GD + Master 9 amplifier is best, but I was wrong))) Solid One that is unic soltion, my friend grab it after Auralic Vega + Master 9, also it extrimely good with high level bookshelf acoustic 

2.5 k$ but it cost every cent

CAPUsilitel-Flux-Lab-Solid-One_new338493

IMO best sounding ever solution for HD-Sennheiser series and HE-4, 6(HiFiMAN) is ultimate combo FluxLab SolidOne, before I think that mine OPPO HA-1, Master-11 Audio-GD + Master 9 amplifier is best, but I was wrong))) Solid One that is unic soltion, my friend grab it after Auralic Vega + Master 9, also it extrimely good with high level bookshelf acoustic 

2.5 k$ but it cost every cent

CAPUsilitel-Flux-Lab-Solid-One_new338493

Looks very nice but I'm out of my budget. 

I would like to suggest one of the Sennheiser headphone amps, both are exceptional, and both are on sale, and both are equipped to handle a balanced output. I think I paid $974.00 for mine, and it's very nice.  Before this amplifier, I had purchased a Woo 

WA-2, loved that amplifier as well, but it had a 120 Hz hum when placed in the Pre-amp mode, which could not be resolved for whatever reason.

73_zpsne5ayh1s.jpg

I'm using an Audio GD Master 11 dac/amp combo with my HD800. I don't experience any harshness with the treble.  :)

Munce31, Master11 is great combo but if take an attention sound quality in headphone amplification Solid One is the best soltion ever) if you can recommend some some of most expierenced forum users I can provide it for testing and reviewing)

Отправлено Ñ Ð¼Ð¾ÐµÐ³Ð¾ Redmi Note 3 через Tapatalk

No further updates in who's got what ?

Have you guys confirmed that Valhalla 2 surpasses most ?

No further updates in who's got what ?

Have you guys confirmed that Valhalla 2 surpasses most ?

Mate I've been through most. In order of affordability and being worthwhile id go

Vali 2

Valhalla 2

Torpedo 3 kit w/ cinemag transformers (DIY)

Eddie Current ZDS / DNA Stratus

Currently have the Valhalla 2 which has been great, T3 is on the way and ill be selling my Val 2 on in a week or so.

Mate I've been through most. In order of affordability and being worthwhile id go

Vali 2

Valhalla 2

Torpedo 3 kit w/ cinemag transformers (DIY)

Eddie Current ZDS / DNA Stratus

Currently have the Valhalla 2 which has been great, T3 is on the way and ill be selling my Val 2 on in a week or so.

I might be interested in your Valhalla 2 if price is right.

Is Torpedo 3 really worth $500 ?

Not much information online.

its closer to $1000 with the cinemags. If you go to superbestaudiofriends.com and have a look around its highly regarded and compared to the high end Eddie Currents, EAR, DNA etc without giving up much ground. 

Is this the amp sold by Tomb/beezer?

Is this the amp sold by Tomb/beezer?

I believe it is, what's special ?

I have heard Valhalla 2 with HD800 and I believe it is a great pairing. I compared it with the Lyr 2 on a quick demo and the HD800 sounds much better on Valhalla 2 in my opinion. I doubt there are many options under $1000 that will beat that amps pairing with HD800 but if someone finds one I'd be curious to know (don't own a HD800 but am always tempted to purchase it). As already mentioned here if you browse around 'superbestaudiofriend' one of their respected moderator/forum owner has put Schiit Valhalla 2 + HD800 as one of the top pairings (link -> http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/nsfw-superbaf-best-of-2015-golden-*******-awards.760/ ) PS - NSFW !!!

I also have Questyle Q192 Dac/Amp that I bought from A2A about a year ago and that has good synergy with HD800 but I'd only recommend it if you don't already have a DAC + Amp as its about $1k. With anything audio related a demo is a must though as your ears will be the ultimate judge.

Edited by Psychogene