New firmware for HK AVR 255 is out

The new firmware to fix alot of problems with the Harman Kardon AVR 255/355 is out now.

Go here:: http://www.harmankardon.com/product_support/interstitial.aspx?Country=GB&Language=ENG&Region=EUROPE

Au Link: http://www.harmankardon.com/product_support/interstitial.aspx?Region=EUROPE&Country=AU&Language=ENG

Select your model and on the next page half way down you should see: Upgrades for your product

We have an upgrade for your product., updated 29-October-08

About to flash mine.

Fixes from their site:

In addition to general improvements to the overall operation of your AVR, the following specific improvements are part of this upgrade:

• The AVR will now pass "whiter than white" and "blacker than black" video information when it is available. Note that not all video displays are compatible with these signals, and the video information cannot be displayed unless both the source and display are able to handle them.
  • Occasional screen or display freezes or loss of video when switching from analog video to HDMI video or between AM/FM and XM radio have been eliminated.
  • Corrects for frame jitter.
  • Dolby Pro Logic IIx processing is now available for 7.1 systems when the input source is "DTS-ES Discrete."
  • Improved navigation capability when using an iPod connected to an AVR 355 via The Bridge II.
  • Occasional pops and clicks with certain PCM audio sources have been eliminated.
  • Audio and video system performance and HDMI compatibility has been improved, and other low-level operating system improvements have been made.

Edited by rocky500

Just flashed mine. All ok. Used my old modem cable to do the flash. Took roughly 18 minutes.

Follow the on screen instructions and not the PDF ones. Also make sure you have easy access to the back of the HK receiver as you have to push 2 tiny buttons either side of the serial connection multiple times during the flashing.

Fixed one of my most annoying problems of the sound missing a few secs from Audio tracks, HTPC clicks, Resume after pause of movies etc. Blacks seem to be blacker.

All up seems to respond better.

• 1 month later...

I have had one of these on my shopping list but have been scared by stories of unreliability. Just wondering what the popular opinion is now.

Am also very keen to get good quality audio for 2 ch use, so would be interested in opinions there - vs say a Marantz 5001 or Cambridge 540R.

I looked at Harmon Kardon gear around 5 or 6 years ago when I was looking for a HT amp. I read some good reports about the audio quality of their gear, but heard a lot of negative reports about reliability. The impression I got with HK gear was that reliability was a bit of a hit or miss affair. That turned me off them, and I ended up getting a Marantz instead.

From the sound of things, it seems that they are STILL suffering from reliability problems! One would have thought that they should have sorted that issue out by now.

I brought a Onkyo 606 first. Had it for a week and was very dispointed in the sound from my music CD's.

Used focal 706V speakers then B&W 684's. Read alot on the HK AVR 255 on the Amercian forums which the general gist of things was the HK are incredible on the music side.

Went out and brought the HK from HN cannington. Now this HK sounded way better than the Onkyo with my music. In movies they were about the same. My mates all agreed also.

I got the HK with a 7Year warranty for around $1000.

I keep seeing the occasional post like "emesbee" were they say their heard of reliability problems but there is no forums or info to back this up.

If there were major problems you would except the forums to have lots of posts about reliability problems, but there is none!

I have a 7Year warranty and think I will upgrade before then, so I can't see any problems for me either if they exist.

If you could audition both amps "kevvie" that would be excellent.

The HK has HDMI 1.3 and encodes all the new HD audio from Blu-Ray's. Has preouts so you can upgrade the amp down the track if you like.

The HK in 2CH stereo mode still alows the use of the Subwoofer which is another added bonus.

Edited by rocky500

"Kevvie" if you really want to know if their are reliability problems I suggest you go onto HK's site. Find the local Authorized repair centers in your area and give them a call. Ask them if they see more HK than any other brand.

Go here Australian distributor

http://www.e-hifi.com.au/dealers-service.aspx

Edited by rocky500

I keep seeing the occasional post like "emesbee" were they say their heard of reliability problems but there is no forums or info to back this up.

If there were major problems you would except the forums to have lots of posts about reliability problems, but there is none!

The forum where I read the reviews about reliability problems with HK gear was here:- http://www.audioreview.com/

As I say, it was 5 or 6 years ago, but presumably some of those reviews will still be on the site.