My HT system

l

39 minutes ago, :) al said:

some pics from the afternoon...

i enjoyed the afternoon, we took it pretty casual. chit chatting in between, coffees beers. what would be the fun otherwise :)

Where's pictures of the beer ?? :D:P

2 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

l

Where's pictures of the beer ?? :D:P

was a good beer actually, 

http://www.holgatebrewhouse.com/index.php/beer/view-all/core/mma

went down nicely inbetween the system being whipped into shape with the audyssey pro sweeps :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AudioGeek said:

Nice result guys.

So @:) al , when aarerr you coming to Sydney? We got some good beer here as well

hehe I dont often stray that far, but there would be no doubt someone about sydney way ?

maybe worth posting a call out in the audyssey pro thread and someone with a kit will come to party. its pretty easy so no doubt will get there :)

• 5 months later...
Just now, Besty22 said:

Wow , Nice room. It really looks amazing. Thanks for showing it

Hope it gives you some ideas with your build.

I'm hoping to paint the whole room in dark charcoal soon to match the front "stage area, and also thinking of putting some anti reflectice velvet on corflute and hanging on my equipment doors, as there are now the last source of distracting reflections

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blybo said:

Hope it gives you some ideas with your build.

I'm hoping to paint the whole room in dark charcoal soon to match the front "stage area, and also thinking of putting some anti reflectice velvet on corflute and hanging on my equipment doors, as there are now the last source of distracting reflections

Certainly got some good ideas , thankyou.  It is practically the same room so thats awesome.It will be good to show the pics to my wife.

I will approach the painting with a small steps approach. Lets get the room built first lol  

Actually one thing I want to ask is where did you get IR light switches from?

Edited by Besty22

Just now, Besty22 said:

Certainly got some good ideas , thankyou. 

I will approach the painting with a small steps approach. Lets get the room built first lol  

Yeah, I made lots of compromises using the coffee colour after many heated discussions around "hey I thought this my room to do as I like?" but now she has invested money on the projector she is quite happy to go for the ultimate in low reflections/higher contrast viewing. We originally had a taupe carpet too and step by step I made more of the stage area dark and picture improved out of sight with every extra section of dark paint. I even had some cheap black automotive carpet sitting across the stage and it made a big difference and eventually convinced my wife the room should look finished by re-carpeting the whole room, it was 5hitty carpet anyway.

• Like 1

Yes its all negotiations and compromises. I really like the way you have done your room and I even have a exercise bike that will probably need to go in my new room as well,  no joke.

Also I was worried about my rear speakers because I have limited space above the bay window area, so it was good to see your layout.

36 minutes ago, Besty22 said:

Actually one thing I want to ask is where did you get IR light switches from?

They are gone now. They failed twice and now discontinued.

I now have Lifx wifi light bulbs which can be controlled by my phone app, or some models of Harmony remotes. I also have some little wifi buttons called Flic, which can be a bit flaky. If starting from scratch now I'd get the Phillips Hue bulbs instead... still might as I'm sure my wife wouldn't notice the $$$, but Hue have dedicated light switches which can change to pre set themes etc.

With the Harmony for instance I hit "watch Blu Ray" and the lights near the screen turn off and rear lights go to a dim red. Once the main movie starts it's just a click of a button to turn them off from my seat. When switching off to go to bed the lights come on white at half intensity, as fully on would be blinding, reminiscent of lights on to kick you out of a night club at 5am....

Ok, that sounds great. I always wondered about the Hue lights. They sound awesome. 

I have a harmony remote with the light control buttons, so that makes sense.

Haha 5am nightclub lights - we used to call those the ugly lights :)

33 minutes ago, Besty22 said:

Yes its all negotiations and compromises. I really like the way you have done your room and I even have a exercise bike that will probably need to go in my new room as well,  no joke.

Also I was worried about my rear speakers because I have limited space above the bay window area, so it was good to see your layout.

I forget the name but we used a newish form of curtain track which gave us a little extra room to mount the rears above the windows. Wasn't cheap, with quality Warwick curtain fabric and blackout for 3 standard width windows was close to $4k and that was a probably 5 years ago.

Until recently we had my wifes spin bike on 1 side and my smart bike trainer on the other. I've now set up a dedicated area in my study for my trainer where I can use Zwift in peace.

15 minutes ago, Besty22 said:

We have a friend who does blinds/curtains etc to do the blockout blinds. May end up with curtains as well , time will tell. 

Did you put any batts in the floor to deaden it? Not sure about that

Block out blinds will not give sufficient darkness, curtains will be a must or external roller blinds, if you still want to be able to open the room up.

Yeah my riser is filled with batts. I didn't know at the time but you can make the riser into a bass trap by venting the front and along back and side walls. I believe to do this properly the frame should be made along similar theory as transmission line speaker cabinets. It's too much work for me to do know but another thing I'd wished I'd research more thoroughly before rushing in.

It's so exciting it's hard to slow yourself back to make sure things are done properly.

Edited by blybo

• 8 months later...
On 03/11/2016 at 10:41 AM, blybo said:

Couple more improvements done to the HT room.

Rear row of couches arrived last Friday so that basically completes the major pieces. They are recliners without the transformers connected as there isn't quite enough space to recline. At least it all matches. Once my processor sells I'll upgrade to a ATMOS 4k processor.

May be hard to see from photos but there is also now 100mm Polymax Absorb covering front corners of the room as well as floor to screen corner and side walls forward of the side cabinets. It looks a bit messy with all the lights going full blaze but you can't see it with lights off.

Now thinking of painting the entire room black, maybe even covering the front ceiling and my wall cabinets in black velvet. Can you believe the wife was the one that suggested it!

IMG_3754.JPG

IMG_3755.JPG

Those recliners are the IMG Crowns right? Strongly considering these. If you don't mind me asking, did you get them any cheaper without recline? I think I'm going to have the same limitation in the back row. Thanks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, br0d0 said:

Those recliners are the IMG Crowns right? Strongly considering these. If you don't mind me asking, did you get them any cheaper without recline? I think I'm going to have the same limitation in the back row. Thanks.

No unfortunately. We just didn't install the power supplies for the back row. If we ever move we have the option to use them as recliners in a different room.

19 minutes ago, blybo said:

No unfortunately. We just didn't install the power supplies for the back row. If we ever move we have the option to use them as recliners in a different room.

How did you decide on the distance to the front row? Was it 2/3 of room length, viewing angle or something else? I find I'm aiming for 2/3 length to avoid a bass null at the front row which leaves less room at the back; there's so many trade-offs with these rooms. 

I have a lot to learn but I'm sure I've read I can place a second sub on the sidewall beside the front row to avoid it too but I have to research more. Then there's finding an appropriate sub.

I worked on a 1800 deep riser from back wall and seats in front of that. Originally planned on commercial style seats for back row but decided kids would rip mounting brackets out of the yellow tongue flooring as they get older and rougher.

Room is 6m deep so worked out at almost exactly 2/3rds head position from front wall

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Not much has changed in the HT room, although I have got rid of the flaky flic remote controls that were controlling my Lifx globes. I've now gone to a 6x Hue globe set up with the dimmer switch which can be a remote or magnetically mounted to a wall bracket. I can still control as 2 groups (stage & seating) from my Harmony remote and touch wood, no drop outs so far in close to a year.

If also had a wifi module connected to the Mitsubishi black A/C split unit so I don't need to hunt down the remote, just use the phone app.

Edited by blybo

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Tai Huynh said:

Amazing room.?

Cheers. I had a few members around a week ago and it was great fun demo'ing a few scenes for them like the opening scene of Deadpool, always a favourite of mine.

• 1 year later...

Holy thread revival... almost 2 years.

I want to try and start using the HT room more for movies at volume again now my kids are a bit older. Over time the Bunnings automatic door seal I originally installed has failed. It only seals half the bottom of the door and there is no more adjustment left in it after several tweaks over the years. Can anybody recommend a good quality door seal for a standard internal solid door that can be DIY installed without significant modification or expense? Happy to pay up to $200 for something that will last. Below is the type I have now where the right side of the seal hits a pin in the door jam making the rubber seal drop. I have about 5-7mm room from the bottom of the door to the solid floor.

CC941B00-683D-4726-AF11-B3911276215D_1_105_c.jpeg.cb5653a6ae5925791b67d92356f154a0.jpeg