My HT system

So after 4.5 years and a fair bit of blood & frustration, our HT room is virtually finished.

931d57d74674e9018cd00d1212a315ef.jpg

And with the curtains open

82312df3eca30dbe4917fa93168731a7.jpg

This was originally an open plan lounge/dining room, but we bought the house with a cinema room in mind. We closed in the wall that the screen is on and then opened up a doorway on the eastern wall. Screen wall is the southern one.

3651f47b3e26659d2346e1830359b2e0.jpg

And then used the under staircase storage room to create the equipment cabinet which is open backed on the bottom half.

d0b6ffe6fbf25f905769881a154f45de.jpg

1e0b098491049dc0ecf859acbfabe0dd.jpg

d9e3fdf3d8c7eb3e24e18978eaa4b031.jpg

2418e5cba4c5cf431d74c0f47871b155.jpg

Then a matching cabinet counter sunk into the opposite wall cavity

d4081701d9f4a2233f2a33870b3b02b8.jpg

Speakers are Focal Chorus 800 series all round, the front 3 being the 30th anniversary edition W models with mid and bass sandwich drivers from the Electra/Utopia series.

237711479edc017884e9fe3fbc968545.jpg

I made the centre stand from qubeloc aluminum and then filed it with sand and covered the shelf with fidelio velvet to prevent reflections. I also have a felt cut out that sits on the piano black centre channel for the same reason.

830ae8e54696ae4fa9852facd97596af.jpg

Surrounds

db4dd3ec0a6c9bdb6cc5e88992b77af8.jpg

Rear

54a9146da12cdff6b8a8ba5252ffb1d2.jpg

IR light switches (one of which is broken) hence I've temporally removed the halogens above the screen cabinet area.

6ab580d99c190cdad525979d15be2b44.jpg

The crowning glory of the room which my wife was in cahoots with @@betty boop to buy as my Christmas present, a JVC X7000 after living with a Sanyo Z5 projector for just on 10 years.

fee3f29d6b8dc8d8a5064dbe79f538ac.jpg

Hero shot

cb43b949a8d71a9777ca27bed1e9db55.jpg6c52c9580c8a4a3931bf708b4fe53a86.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 18

Thanks. Just some lighting issues to sort now, a new rear row of seats and we are done. The spin bike is a small price to pay for wife that bought me such a brilliant present

Thanks guys. Yes I'm am loving this room now. I have an empty house tomorrow night so I'm sure I'll crank it up. Next step is getting a pro Audyssey license so I can get it calibrated for sound and picture.

@@gcgreg , yes the picture is awesome and that is virtually straight out of the box, just turned down colour and manual iris adjustment. It is a slightly soft image as zoomed to 130", but bloody great considering what I had before. The iPhone camera does a pretty good job though

• Like 1

Great looking room, I really wish I had the room for a dedicated HT.   :thumb:  :thumb:

Funnily enough it doesn't get used as much as I would like. I've also found I had to set up my 2ch living room for stereo as I just felt too isolated in this room without a picture or company. I guess although I love my tunes as much as HT, I rarely just sit and listen to music staring into space. I'm more likely to be reading or doing some work, surfing SNA, or just cleaning up or doing the dishes whilst listening. With 2 young kids and 2 business being run out of this house, we rarely sit down mid week to watch anything prior to 9:30 so we have to make a conscious effort to watch a movie.

I'm now at a point where I'm really happy with both rooms, just a few more things to set rooms off like new rack in the living room once kids are old enough not to damage it, and some more home automation stuff for the HT, as we can't hear the home phone or door bell whilst in there.

• Like 1

great stuff blybo...great to see it come together :)

cant wait to see how the jvc is doing in your room in person. and no doubt audio wise things come along a bit too wiht the new sub and surrounds etc.

Thanks @@jamiebosco. One other thing I'm contemplating is getting custom stands made for the front 3 channels. I'd ideally like the left and right speakers under the screen and tilted up at the front row of seats as the centre channel does. Some might say this is wrong technically but would certainly give better localisation when watching 16:9 content and give the speakers a bit more distance from side walls.

Now I have this thread running more and more ideas pop into my head.

The new projector is a light cannon compared to what we had previously. Light = Heat. I mentioned to my wife in passing a few days ago that we can't watch a movie with the doors shut as the room gets too hot. We have evaporative cooling so it requires air flow to work... but if we open a door we risk waking kids, annoying neighbours if opening a window.

I'd like to shut off heating and cooling vents to the room and install a quiet reverse cycle split system on the rear wall. Will also mean we won't be heating/cooling a room that might only be used occasionally

• Like 1

Now I have this thread running more and more ideas pop into my head.

The new projector is a light cannon compared to what we had previously. Light = Heat. I mentioned to my wife in passing a few days ago that we can't watch a movie with the doors shut as the room gets too hot. We have evaporative cooling so it requires air flow to work... but if we open a door we risk waking kids, annoying neighbours if opening a window.

I'd like to shut off heating and cooling vents to the room and install a quiet reverse cycle split system on the rear wall. Will also mean we won't be heating/cooling a room that might only be used occasionally

definitely for longevity of the projector too...put a split system in :)  got room for it on the back wall to which would be ideal spot. good thinking :)

The room is not treated, save for the cushions against the corners at the front of the room. They are held in place by masking boards which are not in use currently. I made them very neat fitting to be held in place by friction between the screen frame and velvet on the board, but the velvet on the board came loose. I'm going to find a solution using brackets to hook over the screen frame, but no time frame on when I get that done.

And yes @@AudioGeek the rear surrounds are angled down, as they are about 6' above the riser floor.

Edited by blybo

Looks fantastic blybo. Great choice of projector!

Certainly, although my wife chose it! She fooled me into thinking I was helping her staff members husband choose a new projector when in reality I was choosing my own Christmas present. It will take me years to get back in brownie point credit

We watched John Wick on Saturday night. So much of this movie is dark scenes and the black detail level is incredible.

Touched up the plaster holes and unpainted sections from my previous projector mount so the room is 1 small step closer to completion... if they are ever truly complete.

• Like 1