Gieseler Audio

Gieseler Power Supply owners thread

post-116892-0-53926800-1453096956_thumb.[

attachment=172688:IMGP0272.jpg]

Hi Clay,

Here is the photo (at last( as discussed. Can I get you PSU into that space. Obviously I'll have to move the SSD to the right first.

Cheers

Andrew

post-116892-0-67911900-1453096967_thumb.

Sponsor

Hi Andrew - I will do some measuring & get back to you tomorrow

Sponsor

Hi Andrew,

Sorry I had forgotten about this.

Yes it does look like the triple PSU & the transformer would all fit in the case. Can you give me the internal height? The PSU can easily be configured to supply the MB, SOtM card & SSD. I can also terminate the cables with the correct connectors to fit each device. As I said before it would probably be better if I had a new PCB made that was a bit more DIY friendly in terms of mounting the semiconductors to the case that needed cooling. Cost would approximately $400 which includes delivery. Time frame would be around three to four weeks.

Hi Clay

A couple of questions from a potential Gieseler PSU owner.

I'm interested in a 3 output unit to power:

1) a Mini PC (Vers. 2) as server/playback - 5V 2.5A, or a SBT - 5V 3A (currently superseded by the Mini PC)

2) the USB input on my DAC (using a cable isolating power from the source device)

3) potentially a W4S USB Recovery unit (not sure on power requirements yet for this).

This would replace the Teredak U9VA LPSU currently powering the USB input, and a Teddy Pardo SBT PSU.

I have tried the Teddy PSU with the Mini PC using an barrel plug adapter to covert the Teddy PSU cable to what I think is a 4.0 mm (O.D) 1.7 mm (I.D) plug required by the Mini PC but this has been unsuccessful so far, I am assuming due to the PC having different polarity to the SBT maybe ?

There is also every chance of the Mini PC and SBT being replaced in the future (with what I am not sure) so potential to change voltage on this output down the track would be preferred.

Do you see any issues with supplying a unit to suit the above?

Thanks Adam

Edited by adamg

Guest Hensa

My 24V Gieseler Audio power supply for my Analogis Resume phono stage arrived on Friday and I've had a good play over the weekend. Frankly, I'm a little bit gob-smacked that a power supply could deliver such an audible impact as I'm generally a bit of a sceptic when it comes to system tweaking! Clearly, for the sensitive low voltages being dealt with using a low output MC cartridge (Technics EPC-310MC), a clean power supply is critical and should certainly not be categorised as a "tweak".

Immediately noticeable was massive drop in hiss and buzz with no signal - I was able to gain an additional 10 to 15dB on the volume dial before I could hear anything and this at a volume level I would never ever play music at. With volume then dropped and music playing, I just wasn't expecting a significant change but the music clearly just had more body and more 'meat on the bones'. Perhaps because of the drop in background noise, the dynamics of the whole system improved dramatically. It even felt like the TAG standmounts were suddenly reaching a little bit lower in the register.

I'm not going to argue about the scientific merits or otherwise; the proof for me was clearly in the listening and in that "Holy Schiit!!" moment when the music began. Anyone toying with the idea of a linear power supply for their phono stage, I encourage you to take a leap of faith that will be quickly rewarded!

I must also say that Clay is not just a true professional but a true gentleman to boot: well done Clay - the care and customer service you've shown from well before my order to past the delivery date has been second-to-none! Many many thanks!

post-109782-0-02357500-1454235191_thumb.

Edited by Hensa

Sponsor

Hi Adam,

yes my Triple PSU should be fine to run those devices. I would need full tech specs of the three devices including connector size/polarity & current/voltage requirements so I could pre configure everything first.

PM me the info & I'll confirm it is all workable.

The Teddy Pardo PSU's are excellent so it is strange that it did not work with the Mini PC. You definitely need to make sure the polarity is correct first though.

Greg - great to know the new psu has improved things.

Cheers Clay 

Hello, Going to put it straight out their!

Has anyone noticed or will there be an improvement over the original PSU that comes with the normal version of the Klein DAC? cheers

This has been mentioned before, several times throughout the Gieseler threads...the Klein DAC runs off AC power. Clay's LPSU outputs DC power. The two are not compatible.

IMO we need to flesh this out a bit.

AFAIU The Klein DAC has its own power supply. Clay does not want to stuff around with 220 to 240V so he uses an external power supply. This plugs into the normal supply and then feeds the DAC whatever it needs in AC.

The power supply he does work on the same principle. There is a power pack that woks on normal power and then feeds the power supply some AC volts. The power supply then cleans it up etc etc etc and then can feed other equipment DC power.

His Klein DAC is not designed to work from his power supply.

Just purchased Tarkan's Gieseler LPS and using it with a Wyred4Sound Remedy... holly crap did it make a difference! Almost as much as the Remedy itself (between a Sonos Connect and an Audiolab MDAC).. didnt ever think that a PSU could ever have this much impact on audio quality, but it is massive... best price/sq improvement ratio ever

Edited by petersv