Gieseler Audio

Gieseler Power Supply owners thread

Thanks for the suggestion ?

I hoped one of those LPS might be good enough. But if there are decent gains to be made via the DIY route, I am open to it (but far from the most proficient with a soldering iron!). 

I ubderstood that the example I had was a LPS (but not so apparent on my mobile browser). 

This is the other LPS I thought might work - but really clueless as to the relevant parameters (outside AC9V). 

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/plug-in-power-supply/2813628/

Guest Sime

Happy to announce I’m about to join the Gieseler Gang :wub:

42 minutes ago, Sime said:

Happy to announce I’m about to join the Gieseler Gang :wub:

You won’t regret it.  

Guest Sime

@Bill125812 lol, even if it sounds the same, I’ll enjoy the nice box, plus the power switch is a plus, don’t have to pull the plug under the shelf to turn off the DAC. 

Guest Sime

Had a nice chat to clay on the phone, addressed some minor concerns, all alleviated :) and the build is in progress. 

And yes, bloody nice bloke :thumb:

Guest Sime

Awesome, it’s in the mail :)

Guest Sime
Posted (edited)

Ok, an interesting result. To be truthful, I wasn’t expecting anything, Rob Watts has been adamant that his DAC’s don’t need any other power supply other than the one he supplies. He’s tried and tested this DAC (Qutest) with batteries, and there was no change. 

Tonight I plugged in the newly arrived Gieseler 5v PSU and there was a difference, quite big actually, but eh, it’s good and it’s bad, more bad than good. 

The Qutest is a very warm and smooth DAC, so much so that it can put you to sleep, and that’s a good thing. A lot better in most aspects than its predecessor. Plug in into the Gieseler and the biggest difference you hear are micro details and more forward sound. I notice stuff in the back ground I hadn’t noticed before on tracks I know well. But the problem is, the system is cold and extremely fatiguing. On one hand you like to hear the new stuff, but you don’t enjoy the song as much. 

Rod watts made a big spiel over at headfi on this very subject, it’s was all about the differences between linear and switching psu’s, and why he chooses switching ones, and these two paragraphs which I have just re-read while typing this post, confirm what I’m hearing, and no, I hadn't remembered this until now after reading it again, so there was nothing subliminal  going on. 

RF noise is a massive problem in audio, and like a fungal foot infection in the wet, is pernicious and almost impossible to remove; the effects from 100 kHz to many GHz are very audible. The technical reason for the sensitivity is down to noise floor modulation - and this is an effect that one can simulate and easily measure. Indeed, my DAC's are the only DAC's at all (any price) that show zero measured noise floor modulation. The strange thing about noise floor modulation is that it does not matter how small it is, careful listening tests exposes it as very audible. In large amounts it shows up as grain, glare and hardness; in small amounts it adds brightness and suppresses timbre variation - in that warm instruments sound unnaturally bright too.

So why would switchers sound warmer and richer than linear regulators? A switcher must employ an RF filter - and today RF filters are very effective (with SMD chip components) at removing both the switching components and the incoming RF noise from the mains and other circuits. So when you buy a switcher PSU you are getting an effective RF noise filter too; but a linear supply is completely open to RF from the mains. And today, RF in the house is a massive issue with a huge number of RF sources from kHz to 5 GHz.

So at this stage I’m not to sure what to do. Atm the original PSU is playing and I’m relatively content. It’s how I like a Chord DAC to sound. Clay did offer me a refund if I wasn’t happy, but that doesn’t sit well with me. It’s not his fault, nor his product, just a compatibility issue maybe with the DAC. 

Do these power supplies run in and if they do, would that warm the sound up a bit?

Some might think I’m a bit quick to judge, but over the many 1000’s upon 1000’s of hours I’ve sat in this room, that system of mine in a jiffy let’s me know what it thinks. 

The problem is it is digging deeper into the tacks but at a large cost, the loss of musicality. 

I’m going to @andrewyuri place on Thursday with this DAC and he has a rather revealing system, and I’ll take both psu’s over there and see what he thinks.  

And I also feel bad writing this because Clay gets a lot of praise, and for good reason, but my experience is different so I feel awkward being honest about it, although I shouldn’t.

So there it is, and feel free to give me your thoughts about it. 

Edited by Sime

Have 2 of Clay's PSU, one for SoTM SMS-200, another for ISO Regen.  In both cases, other people have used Clay's PSU on their gear, so I was not pioneering the combination.  Also, the equipment manufacturers had their own, more expensive PSUs so there was no debate about whether there was improvement.

@Sime thank you for your honest assessment. We tend to be sometimes too gushing in our praise because it worked for our equipment, but forget it does not necessarily apply to other equipment.  There is some warm up time and run in, but it should not make the sound cold in the first instance. 

Has other Qutest owners reported issues with their own external PSUs?  Maybe it is not to be for the Qutest and an external PSU?  If that is the case, then you should not be reluctant to take Clay's offer. It can then become the deposit for the Groß.

Sponsor
Posted (edited)

Hi Simon,

no problem at all in returning it for a full refund - absolutely no point it keeping it if it is not improving the sound.

However the large 15,000uf 25v main filter capacitor I use does need at least 24 hour to settle down a bit. I often soak test my PSU’s overnight but did not do that with yours. Leave it powered on for a couple of days & then have another listen - if still no improvement shoot it back.

Cheers Clay

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Guest Sime

@Gieseler Audio thanks Clay, I’ve got it powering a Divoom time box to give it time to run in. 

But if it never goes back on my system, I have other uses for it, can you make a short XLR (male) to a female standard usb (the type on all computers, the ones you plug usb cables into)

I don’t want to return it, it’s not a faulty product :) 

Guest Sime

But if it indeed does run in, well I’ll be heading over to a “do electronics run in?” thread with my 2c. 

Guest Sime
Posted (edited)

Yes I’ve got a plan, an idea that can fix the issue two ways. As I’ve said, I don’t want to send it back, and apart from the original reason stated above, I also like the product, so…………

It cant be argued that battery power is the best source to get your electricity from, better than both linear and switching. Before buying this PSU, I was considering buying a mobile battery pack for this DAC, but having this DAC on 24/7 will be annoying with constantly having to charge the battery pack, so what I’ll do is use both and make what I think is a very nice “Power Station” (patent pending :P) Have the Qutest hooked up the the battery and use the PSU charge the battery, apart from looking good, it’s also handy for charging this way being as it has a nice toggle switch to turn on/off the charging, no pulling out cables or unplugging from the wall when the battery pack is going flat/full.

And this way to I get the chance to try out all types of power, battery, switching and linear. And after a time, stick with what sounds best. 

Good idea?

Edited by Sime

56 minutes ago, Sime said:

use the PSU charge the battery, apart from looking good, it’s also handy for charging this way being as it has a nice toggle switch to turn on/off the charging, no pulling out cables or unplugging from the wall when the battery pack is going flat/full.

Wouldn't the AC/AC transformer use power, even when you switch the toggle off? Ie, better to turn it off at the wall?

Guest Sime
Posted (edited)

@BioBrian I’m not fussed about it’s power usage, I’d only turn off the PSU at the switch if I want power to stop going to the battery. This will only be done when I need to condition the battery so it’s not constantly being charged all the time. 

Edited by Sime

Guest Sime

Anyway, I’ve bought a Cygnett 20,000mAh battery and an Audioquest Cinnamon USB-Micro USB cable, so I’ll see how this goes. 

Sponsor
Posted (edited)

Yes running the Qutest from a battery should you give you a good reference point to judge other PSU's by.

Just be careful regarding a battery & PSU connected together.

My PSU  would not want to see 5v being fed into its output when powered off. It would need a diode to isolate it otherwise the regulator will be damaged.

- similar to a blocking diode you use in cars/vans with dual battery setups.

Anyway if you prefer the battery as a PSU let me know  I will send you some info on auto charging systems.

I did do quite a bit of research in that area with the PDX DAC I manufactured. The USB board was powered with two separate LiFePO4 Lithium batteries which were auto charged when the DAC was switched off. In the end though I found modern low noise regulators sounded just as good & it saved lots of phone calls from irate customers with flat batteries & a non working USB input. 

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Guest Sime
Posted (edited)

Well that plan failed. You can’t charge a power bank at the same time your using it to power something (my first power bank) and it cooks the PSU while it’s charging the battery :emot-bang:

Edited by Sime

On 1/8/2016 at 1:46 PM, Celts88 said:

Hope this isn't a dumb question, but does it makes sense ordering the 3 output unit for current/future use, eg. Regen, Auralic Mini, etc., or does it somehow detract from the SQ benefits if powering 3 items from the one Power Supply (rather than 3 separate din rail power supplies , single unit better bang for buck, but also space saver - less boxes).rick

will try the trick

3 hours ago, lokocama said:

will try the trick

3 output units no longer available, only single output PSU.

@Gieseler Audio Hi Clay. 

I just bought this and wondering whether I got the wrong one for my Chord 2Qute (specs say 12V 0.5A) because of the Volts difference.

Sponsor

Hi Mike,

That is the 5/7/9v 1.5A PSU so the voltage output is too low for the Chord 2Qute unfortunately.

You need my 9/12/15v 1.5A (set to 12v) version or the 12v 3A one.

18 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi Mike,

That is the 5/7/9v 1.5A PSU so the voltage output is too low for the Chord 2Qute unfortunately.

You need my 9/12/15v 1.5A (set to 12v) version or the 12v 3A one.

Thanks Clay. I knew there were two versions for a reason!

Hi Clay, I’m about to get an UltraRendu and will need one of your power supplies. I’m a bit naive on these things - can you recommend the correct one?

cheers, Russ

@Gieseler Audio I think it would be the 9V one, but the sonore website has some recommendations